Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times

Advertisements

Here's the background information, much abridged: My in-laws are born again Christian. They have gone from Church of Christ (which my husband and siblings were raised in) next to Assembly of God and now they are in Word of Life. Now I know they don't think Catholics are Christian they have made that very clear by not attending any ceremony (baptisms for either son or communion of my oldest) that has to do with religion...they wouldn't even go to church for Christmas Eve when my son was singing with the choir. Fine I have accepted that this won't change and have stopped inviting them to things.

Last time they visited my father in law brought these radiation detection kits (evidently left over from the cold war era, found in his basement) that he gave to my husband because he said, "We [he and my mother-in-law] wouldn't need them but when the apocalypse came it would probably be through nuclear disaster or war and they would come in handy for us."

My take on this was that we weren't saved (in his mind as Catholics aren't Christian and all) and we would be left on earth while he and my mother-in-law were taken up to heaven. My husband thinks that couldn't be the case because they are his parents and all but I'm almost sure and want to ask them, I get this weird enjoyment about confronting them on this stuff (which if I do, is probably why I'm actually going to hell...LOL).

What do you guys think? Not about if Catholics are saved or not, but about what their intent here was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:25 AM

253 posts, read 640,676 times
lol, this reminds me of a joke:
"One sunday, in a sunday school class, they were discussin Jonah. When told the story, one of the children spoke up 'wow! did Jonah really get eaten by a whale!?' the teacher looked fondly at the child and responded 'Well, the bible says that he did, but I don't think so' at this the boy asked 'Maybe if we see him in heaven we can ask him' at this the teacher smiled and said 'Well, I don't think Jonah went to heaven' the boy's face twisted in though and then he jumped with an idea 'Ok, then you ask him!'"

heh, it's almost an amusing story, I'm not sure what their intentions were but you could probably have some fun asking them

Old 05-01-2007, 10:50 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Default ??

Irishmom, I thought from another post you were atheist or something?

Is that right?

And, btw, I think what you think they were implying is exactly what they were implying!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Irishmom, I thought from another post you were atheist or something?

Is that right?

And, btw, I think what you think they were implying is exactly what they were implying!

No I'm not atheist or agnostic. I did post to be funny that after posting here for a few days I may join them though (I almost always think I am funnier than I am. ). I am Catholic and my husband was raised born again...he is now Catholic because his experiences with the Church of Christ at first turned him completely away from all religion, but he did want to raise the kids with the experience of religion so he converted (meaning he was confirmed after attending adult classes). This has been a sore spot for my in-laws for a long time. When he introduced me they were very concerned that he was marrying outside of his faith...again because Catholics aren't Christian in their eyes...LOL

Old 05-01-2007, 11:32 AM

22,917 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
What do you guys think? Not about if Catholics are saved or not, but about what their intent here was.
I grew up in the whole "full gospel" Word of Faith type churches. I'm now a devout Catholic.

Well, I don't know you or your husband's parents, but as someone who knows a lot about both the "full gospel" type churches and the Catholic Church, I'm pretty sure that your take is the correct one.

Again, it's hard to comment without knowing either party, but if it were me, I wouldn't confront them about it. Why stir the ant hill? I'm sure they mean well, but if they have profound disagreements with your family, it's probably best to leave well enough alone.

My advice: Be strong and secure in your own faith. If your husband's parents see that, they'll come to you. Be ready to answer their questions.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I grew up in the whole "full gospel" Word of Faith type churches. I'm now a devout Catholic.

Well, I don't know you or your husband's parents, but as someone who knows a lot about both the "full gospel" type churches and the Catholic Church, I'm pretty sure that your take is the correct one.

Again, it's hard to comment without knowing either party, but if it were me, I wouldn't confront them about it. Why stir the ant hill? I'm sure they mean well, but if they have profound disagreements with your family, it's probably best to leave well enough alone.

My advice: Be strong and secure in your own faith. If your husband's parents see that, they'll come to you. Be ready to answer their questions.
Yeah I probably won't confront them on this one...because it was a while ago...and I didn't witness it. But like I said I get this twisted enjoyment out of questioning them on this stuff, I just can't help myself! This of course if more my problem than theirs and has more to do with our relationship in general than with our religous differences. It just irks me that they are so judgemental regarding anyone who is different from themselves...I teach my children (much the same as I was taught in Catholic School) that all people are the same and to respect the right of others to have their own beliefs. I think the world would be happier if we all did that.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:02 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Who knows ...but they could have been implying that they will probably be dead by that time, but you guys might not be...???

Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
I think they should have attended the baptism and communion of your children, it's hard for me to understand why they didn't. Even if they don't believe like you, it's still their grandchildren. As far as the radiation kits goes, I'd say thanks and let it go. It's not worth putting any more tension in your family.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I think they should have attended the baptism and communion of your children, it's hard for me to understand why they didn't. Even if they don't believe like you, it's still their grandchildren. As far as the radiation kits goes, I'd say thanks and let it go. It's not worth putting any more tension in your family.
They didn't attend because they will not walk into a Catholic church or for that matter anything other than a born again church. They have warned us and dissapproved when we have gone to occaisions of friends at Synagogues or Mandirs (Hindi) in the past. They are very closed minded and predjudiced against anything different from themselves. My experience with them has been trying. Thankfully I can say that my experience with other born again Christians has not been the same proving to me as always there is good and bad in all people no matter what or who they are.

And it's not just us...they didn't go to their other grandchildren's ceromonies either...one of their daughters also married a Catholic before we were married so I knew what I was getting into with them before hand. Just need to start on the accepting part.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:38 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,420 times
LordaMighty! (Oops, is that a swear word?). Irishmom, your husband's parents sound like my own parents! They're so disapproving of me, that I haven't seen them in over 26 years, (long story), and haven't communicated with them in 2 1/2 years. And that, because they decided that my daughter had committed a grievous sin, by marrying a Puerto Rican boy, and compounded that sin, by having 2 boys. They've never seen either one of my kids, although they kind of claimed them, as their grandkids. But, when my daughter married, and had her children, my parents flat-out stated that not only did they no longer claim her, but that they did not claim the boys, (their great-grandsons)! And, yes, they claim to be Christian. They are strongly fundamentalist. So, when they took that stance, I cut them off entirely. I could handle the problems they had with me, and had even asked their forgiveness, for my part of the troubles between us, but I drew the line on that one! You can come after me, but you better damn sure leave my kids and grandkids out of it!

Oh, by the way, I agree with some of the other posters on here. I think your in-laws meant exactly what you think they did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality