Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,021,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Here's the hypothetical situation. I am walking through the park and I come across three thugs who are just about to rape your 12 year old daughter. I am in a position to intervene and stop your daughter being raped but instead of doing so, I decide not to interfere with the free will of the rapists and I walk away, allowing the rape to take place.

Now, would you consider me to be a moral, responsible person? Would you consider me to be a good citizen? Would you consider me just, compassionate, merciful, etc, if I walked away from something that I know will cause untold misery and suffering to an innocent victim, when I could easily have prevented it, on the grounds that a persons free-will should not be violated?

I have done exactly what your god does every day and which you consider to be acceptable ie. refuse to interfere in someone's free will to do something. So if you do not consider me to be a good for doing that, why do you consider your god to be good?

How say you my learned friend?
I would give no thought to what kind of person you are. You are only doing what you think is right by your own experiences. It's not my call to accuse you of being immoral or moral in that situation.

Of course, I believe that when we raise our spirituality, those things never will happen so my child wouldn't be in that kind of situation in the first place.

I consider God to be good because that is the God that is within me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:14 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,664,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The misery I'm talking about is the misery of the questions that are still left unanswered concerning God. From what I've read on here in your posts, I consider you a good person. When you find God within, you will find your answers.

I don't read the bible as I find it too miserable to be around. It's a mere guidebook for those who need crutches.

I grew up not knowing God or anything about HIm. My parents didn't take us to church. It wasn't until I was in my mid to late thirties that I found God, or the definition of God. It wasn't until my early forties that I knew without a doubt that He has been within me all along. I found Him by asking questions and what I came to find is that all along, I had all the answers within if only I asked the God within.
I do not have questions. I know why there are wars and people suffering. Because in the end, the men in charge are greedy and selfish. And the people suffer because of it and there in no God to stop it. I dont need to make excuses for the bad things in the world, or try to rationalize why God ets it happen. I know why, there is no God.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I do not have questions. I know why there are wars and people suffering. Because in the end, the men in charge are greedy and selfish. And the people suffer because of it and there in no God to stop it. I dont need to make excuses for the bad things in the world, or try to rationalize why God ets it happen. I know why, there is no God.
Ok.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
its a river. we are in it. we can swim left or right or get out fo the river but if we do nothing we move downstream. going up stream very difficult.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
I would give no thought to what kind of person you are. You are only doing what you think is right by your own experiences. It's not my call to accuse you of being immoral or moral in that situation.
....but you are fine with me walking away and not preventing your daughter being raped simply because, like your god, I don't want to interfere with the rapists free will?

Quote:
Of course, I believe that when we raise our spirituality, those things never will happen so my child wouldn't be in that kind of situation in the first place.
Huh?? Are you saying that spiritually aware people don't go into parks and get raped?? You are clearly avoiding the situation Reverend. It is not a case of my child wouldn't be in that situation. It is a hypothetical situation where she IS there and IS about to be raped.

So, morally, should I have stopped the rape or, putting yourself in my position, would YOU have stopped it? Or would you have said 'if it's good enough that god doesn't interfere with people's free will, then it's good enough for me too', and walk away?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 733 times
Quote:
The misery I'm talking about is the misery of the questions that are still left unanswered concerning God. From what I've read on here in your posts, I consider you a good person. When you find God within, you will find your answers.

I don't read the bible as I find it too miserable to be around. It's a mere guidebook for those who need crutches.

I grew up not knowing God or anything about HIm. My parents didn't take us to church. It wasn't until I was in my mid to late thirties that I found God, or the definition of God. It wasn't until my early forties that I knew without a doubt that He has been within me all along. I found Him by asking questions and what I came to find is that all along, I had all the answers within if only I asked the God within.
God sounds awesome! I'm curious though, so excuse my newbie questions. What is the definition of God? Also, when you asked your questions to God, how did He respond, could you hear His answers and if so, what did His voice sound like? Where was God hiding out in you, and is that the same place He hides out in everyone, or was it unique to you?
I'd like to try to find him, but I'm scared I might look in the wrong place and Satan may pop out, and that would probably suck.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
....but you are fine with me walking away and not preventing your daughter being raped simply because, like your god, I don't want to interfere with the rapists free will?

Huh?? Are you saying that spiritually aware people don't go into parks and get raped?? You are clearly avoiding the situation Reverend. It is not a case of my child wouldn't be in that situation. It is a hypothetical situation where she IS there and IS about to be raped.

So, morally, should I have stopped the rape or, putting yourself in my position, would YOU have stopped it? Or would you have said 'if it's good enough that god doesn't interfere with people's free will, then it's good enough for me too', and walk away?
I'm saying we do things according to our conditioning. What we have been taught and what we have experienced. I cannot judge someone who allows another to be raped or murdered or anything that is out of line with what I believe. Should you atop it? The answer would be, what soul condition are you in? Are you in the light or are you in the dark. The dark will allow it to happen and the light will prevent it.

By my own soul condition, I would do everything possible to prevent it or help the person, depending on the point in which I happened on the situation. The next thing I would do is call someone help the raped (I'm no doctor) and then try to get the raper to help himself out of the darkness his soul is in. In your soul condition, would you be willing to do all of that for the soul of another? I can't not love someone because their soul is darker than mine. I can't not love someone because they don't know love.

When Jesus walked the earth, He always helped the darker soul first. Always. Because the dark souls don't know love as the light souls do.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddintank View Post
God sounds awesome! I'm curious though, so excuse my newbie questions. What is the definition of God? Also, when you asked your questions to God, how did He respond, could you hear His answers and if so, what did His voice sound like? Where was God hiding out in you, and is that the same place He hides out in everyone, or was it unique to you?
I'd like to try to find him, but I'm scared I might look in the wrong place and Satan may pop out, and that would probably suck.

Thanks!
You have to let go of fear. And Satan isn't real. It's a lie to keep people in line with the control freaks out there.

God answers with His fragment that you were born with that is within you. Learn to meditate and concentrate. Until you learn that, it won't work. Heres a good link. http://new-birth.net/booklet/keys.PDF Give it time to download.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM

168 posts, read 378,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
If god physically stopped every act from happening what will we learn from all of this? Absolutely nothing!!!!! Watch the movie Bruce Allmighty. He was god for one day and he answered every persons prayers. At the end of the day he at the point to where he understood that human couldnt possibly see the world the way god does and surrendered that power back to god. God created us with all the tools neccessary to help each other but because of our stubborness and lack of sacrifice we choose to allow bad things to happen. If every person loved with the purity of heart that the bible teaches us would there ever be rap, would there ever be crime, would there ever be backstabbing ? If god interfered in every bad act we would never ever grow to the point spiritually where we could help each other.

When I was young I was physically abused by a group of students every day in our phys ed locker room, I was whipped, punched, battered and told never to tell anyone about it or else.I wasnt allowed to talk, laugh, have any expressions or breath the wrong way. For a long time I asked god why he let this happen to me, but looking back at it now, I can understand why. I learned a great spiritual lesson. everytime I see someone being made fun of, I instantly want to talk to them, I empathiswith them and i want to make sure that they are ok. I grew from within through this experience. Your trying to understand life through limited, finite eyes, but once you start trying to look at life through heavens eyes it will open up your heart (opps i forgot that atheists dont believe that we have hearts, only an organ that pumps blood)

Imagine if our parents put us in our rooms without allowing us to make any mistakes at all or doing anything that is bad. Would we ever grow to the point of independence? Would we ever be able to empathize with the sufferings of others? Would we ever mature enough to raise a family? No , we would become spoiled brats who think that whenever we do something our parents would instantly solve our problems for us. This is how children believe , not mature adults.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,055 times
This has to be a first.

A theist quoting Bruce almighty?

Next you will probably use Evan almighty to "justify" the fludd?

Both were parodies, the message was more humanistic than religious in both movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality