Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,650,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Christians are not better than other people, although many
prefer to think of themselves as the crowning glory of the human race.
Go beyond the surface. Jesus and God receive plenty of lip-service. Displaying the symbols of Christianity (Crosses, 10 Commandments) does not make one a Christian. Anyone can display the 10 Commandments, but not all strive to live by them.
Ask the Christians about the teachings of Jesus. His ideas were very good and would improve the way in which could people treat each other. But, when listening to Christians, one can easily get the impression that the only teachings Jesus had were concerning sexual behavior. If you mention any of the other teachings of Jesus you can expect a response of anger and contempt.
From my observations, being a Christian means being forgiven, therefore you Aboivecan do whatever you want with a good conscience, because you are morally superior merely by mentioning the name of Jesus. Christians do not believe in the teachings of Jesus, but rather, seek to impose their own likes and dislikes upon everyone. This is supported by the most important rule of all; THOU SHALT NOT QUESTION NOR CRITICIZE THE CHRISTIAN RIGHT.
There is one thing which Christians seem incapable of doing, that is practicing self-examination.
Christians aspire to use their religion to attain political power so that they can tell everybody else what to do. They use their religion as a tool to pry into the private lives of others.
For the Christians, the ends justify the means. Of course, all is forgiven.
In technology civilization has made great progress in the last 300 years, but socially we have moved very little in that same period of time. People still believe in devils, angels, miracles, and prejudices against all who are different. Witch burnings are a thing of the past, but the mob mentality which led up to such events is alive and well.
I'm an aethiest. I think for myself. I think sex is good, war is bad. I don't hate anyone. I don't advocate punishment for people who are different. I don't think there is any valid justification to torture people. I don't nurture grudges nor drool for revenge. I don't worship money. I don't think that our earthly environment should be recklessly ravaged and plundered for profit motives. I don't believe in censorship. I am not concerned about the sex lives of others. I believe in questioning authority. I cannot be led around by the nose by anyone who claims that he is acting in God's name.
Surely, you may condemn me, but deep down inside, you know your condemnations are your own, not those of Jesus.
Above in the red: You are speaking of the Christians you have met? Or is this a stereotype that you have for all as a group? I certainly have certain acts/behaviors that people may engage in that I am against, but it does not define *who* they are and it does not lessen their place in society whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 02:41 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I was wondering that too. What's wrong with drinking alcohol? I didn't know it was a sin unless you drink it like I did.
LOL, then you are not familiar with Southern Baptist Denominations right?

Baptists believe drinking is a sin, it is too funny because so many of them do drink. er. Hey, change that them, I forgot I was baptized in the Baptist denomination, but I prefer to call myself a Christian.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Hi JeepGirl118
Good observation. I appreciate your response. Yes, my comments are stereotyped and a sweeping generalization. My opinions are harsh and caustic as well. The subject of Christianity is something I've pondered several times daily for decades.
I'm sure there are many Christians who would not fit my description. A condsiderable influence upon me is living in the US, especially in the Bible Belt.
I often refer to the Amish. They reject electricity, work their fields with horses or oxen, dress according to their wishes, and believe in the Bible. That's fine, I can admire their convictions, mostly becaused they are not seen in the realm of politics. They are not trying to change the way in which others live. I have no idea how they vote, or even if they vote.
I have no problem with any religion as long as the believers apply their religion to themselves.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Hi JeepGirl118
Good observation. I appreciate your response. Yes, my comments are stereotyped and a sweeping generalization. My opinions are harsh and caustic as well. The subject of Christianity is something I've pondered several times daily for decades.
I'm sure there are many Christians who would not fit my description. A condsiderable influence upon me is living in the US, especially in the Bible Belt.
I often refer to the Amish. They reject electricity, work their fields with horses or oxen, dress according to their wishes, and believe in the Bible. That's fine, I can admire their convictions, mostly becaused they are not seen in the realm of politics. They are not trying to change the way in which others live. I have no idea how they vote, or even if they vote.
I have no problem with any religion as long as the believers apply their religion to themselves.
I agree with this, especially the last part.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:44 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
But by that reasoning, Gandhi and Martin Luther King should have shut up and gone home. I don't buy that.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:51 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
And for the record: Grizzly bears are the best Americans!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:25 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And for the record: Grizzly bears are the best Americans!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Could not have said it any better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
fair point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Makes perfect sense! Great answer.
[quote=dreameyes;657381]Oh yeah that's a very intelligent statement and not judgemental at all. [/quot

I already posted looong time ago, and this thread is so long I just figured I would sum it up just posting my favorite answers to the thought provoking , head scratching op

Old 05-30-2007, 12:44 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have done some study into this since the question was asked. The answer is that people who are religious are in fact better people:

They are more likely to be:

Crime and drug free
Honest
Clean
Educated
Well off financially
Moral
A non smoker
A non drinker

All the traits of a Christan Lifestyle
Okay... if you want to believe that, go right ahead - but I'd like to see your sources to back it up! Oh, but I already know you'd say "they aren't a REAL Christian" if they don't fit into your ideal. And what about other religions? I guess you only think Christians can have a religious lifestyle... Once again, it seems everyone on this board thinks "religious" and "Christian" are one in the same, which is why I obviously don't fit in here. I'm going back to the P&C boards!

Oh, and to answer the original question, NO I don't think being religious makes anyone a better American... good, honest, hard-working, law-abiding Americans come in all varieties, from all religions and lack thereof. I've met both good & bad Christians, Atheists, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, and so on - so to make such a generalized statement is ridiculous and inaccurate, in my opinion. And I agree with whoever said it's not very "pious" to put yourself on a pedestal, and say "Nyah, nyah, we're better than everyone else", no matter what your beliefs are.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:50 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay... if you want to believe that, go right ahead - but I'd like to see your sources to back it up! Oh, but I already know you'd say "they aren't a REAL Christian" if they don't fit into your ideal. And what about other religions? I guess you only think Christians can have a religious lifestyle... Once again, it seems everyone on this board thinks "religious" and "Christian" are one in the same, which is why I obviously don't fit in here. I'm going back to the P&C boards!

Oh, and to answer the original question, NO I don't think being religious makes anyone a better American... good, honest, hard-working, law-abiding Americans come in all varieties, from all religions and lack thereof.
Gizmo I don't think that religious = only Christian. I think anyone committed to a faith would exhibit the morals taught within that faith. But I also think morals are governed by society and modeled by parents and other positive examples, so it is not exclusive to faith either. But then again I am also the one that routinely argues with my fundementalist in-laws the my Pagan, Jewish, Muslim and Hindi friends will be in heaven with me. See you there.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:58 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Why not? Certainly in some countries they may be persecuted for their beliefs, may even have to give their lives, but if they are true CHRIST followers, if they love their brother, give to those in need, pray for others and submit to those in authority over them (which even Jesus told us to do....Matt. 22:21 Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.) then why wouldn't they be good citizens?

Good question, though!
What about the Orthodox and Chasidic Jews in Israel? Are you implying that they aren't "good citizens"? I've been to Israel, and some of those people show more guts & national pride than any American could ever DREAM of - the number of people who proudly volunteer to serve in the military (even those who are exempt from the required service) is proof alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality