U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM

784 posts, read 3,215,703 times

Advertisements

I do not go to Church much myself, but on occasion go to services at those large Churches where everyone is very religious. I am impressed with the "general look of the people" at these churches where God and Religion seem to be the center of their life. Most of them seem to be so clean cut and wholesome looking. They seem to pay so much attention to their appearance and appear to attempt to live a good Christan lifestyle. While I am sure each and everyone in these Churches have their own personal weaknesses, it seems to an outsider that many of them are actually the best Americans.

I believe the Church and God's teachings encourage them to be better people than the rest of us. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 9,839,253 times
This is the silliest thing I've ever seen on city data. Being religious doesn't make someone "better" just as earning more money, being of a certain race, having a certain type of house in a certain type of neighborhood, etc. don't make anyone "better" than anyone else.

If you like clean-cut "wholesome" people then you may find many people you like in a church. If you like "granola" people then you can find some at Whole Foods. If you like hipsters, go to an up-and-coming urban neighborhood and you'll find plenty.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 363,465 times
A very simple answer ~~ No, God's teachings and the church do NOT encourage people to be better than, as you say, "the rest of us."

Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 PM

4,225 posts, read 10,291,797 times
Well, my husband's family is Catholic and I'm ... agnostic/believer of God. His sister, we'll call Beth, grew up in the same household as her bro. She's 25 now, is a drug addict, can barely pass her tennis class in college, uses her family and treats them like crap and expects everybody in her life to be responsible for her misgivings but can't own up to her own irresponsible behaviors. Beth can't even maintain a 3.0 IN HER MAJOR and she wants to go to grad school and expect her parents to support her ... indefinitely. She lies, she steals and she's been arrested twice - once as a minor and once an adult. She has prostituted herself for drug money, got pregnant and had an abortion (in her defense her health was at risk ... it was either the baby dying or both of them dying). She does what she does b'c she believes that since she's a Christian, God will forgive her for everything. I kid you not, those words came from her own mouth. You tell me, is she a "better American"?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:23 PM

4,726 posts, read 4,778,467 times
Default Religion

Shouldn't this be posted on the Religion Forum?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:24 PM

784 posts, read 3,215,703 times
I have done some study into this since the question was asked. The answer is that people who are religious are in fact better people:

They are more likely to be:

Crime and drug free
Honest
Clean
Educated
Well off financially
Moral
A non smoker
A non drinker

All the traits of a Christan Lifestyle

Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 PM

354 posts, read 572,634 times
Addendum to the traits of a (conservative) Christian lifestyle:

child molesters,
tithe funds abusers,
anti-any other religion,
anti-any other religion's followers,
anti-any religious person who doesn't support a unification of church & state.

Clearly being religious does not make you better, nor does it make you more inclined to be smoke/alcohol free, honest, or clean-cut. Maybe you're more inclined to create a persona that fits your religion, but not a "better person".

Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 PM

29,605 posts, read 18,864,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have done some study into this since the question was asked. The answer is that people who are religious are in fact better people:

They are more likely to be:

Crime and drug free
Honest
Clean
Educated
Well off financially
Moral
A non smoker
A non drinker

All the traits of a Christan Lifestyle

You found all that in less than 3 hours from reliable, unbiased sources?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Shouldn't this be posted on the Religion Forum?

You're right, and I'm guessing they'll move it very soon.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Well, my husband's family is Catholic and I'm ... agnostic/believer of God. His sister, we'll call Beth, grew up in the same household as her bro. She's 25 now, is a drug addict, can barely pass her tennis class in college, uses her family and treats them like crap and expects everybody in her life to be responsible for her misgivings but can't own up to her own irresponsible behaviors. Beth can't even maintain a 3.0 IN HER MAJOR and she wants to go to grad school and expect her parents to support her ... indefinitely. She lies, she steals and she's been arrested twice - once as a minor and once an adult. She has prostituted herself for drug money, got pregnant and had an abortion (in her defense her health was at risk ... it was either the baby dying or both of them dying). She does what she does b'c she believes that since she's a Christian, God will forgive her for everything. I kid you not, those words came from her own mouth. You tell me, is she a "better American"?
It's been said a hundred times on these forums that many people who profess to be Christians are not. Guessing by what you write, she does not know Jesus as her Lord and Savior and is not saved. Therefore, and only God knows, she very well might not be a Christian.

I'm sorry you all have to deal with such a person. I know that must put a strain on the entire family, tragically sad. I hope her parents don't enable her by supporting her. That would not be helping Beth, only hindering her to continue on the path she's on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality