Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I don't think it is fair to say that all of them are trying to deceive you. It is their reality. As long as they aren't trying to force their views on the rest of us in the schools and in politics, no harm is done.

You are only free to have your beliefs as long as they are free to have theirs.
When you try to justify your beliefs to others, you leave yourself open to criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:31 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Yes, maybe lie is not the right word to describe them. But I believe the title of this thread hit the nail on the head.
They are being dishonest as you say. Even if they aren't necessarily knowingly lying, they also refuse to look at anything that differs from their point of view. When you explain things to them, they automatically pass it off as wrong and being part of some 'atheist agenda.' A good example of this would be creationists/IDers. If you look at the 'scientific' claims that creationists say back up creationism/ID and prove evolution false, they are always based on misinformation and logical fallacy. When you explain why their claims are false, they completely ignore you and start rehearsing the same old nonsense as if they say it enough times then that will magically make what they say true. It's as if deep down consciously or subconsciously they don't believe in anything that their religion says is true. If they look at their beliefs objectively then the foundation of their beliefs will crumble and they'll have to accept the reality of their religion-that it isn't based on evidence or objective truth.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:59 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,664 times
Quote:
When you try to justify your beliefs to others, you leave yourself open to criticism.
This is true.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 PM

212 posts, read 572,757 times
Quote:
Why do you think, so many theist who are trying to justify their beliefs, usually resort to being dishonest?
Because that is all they know, there bible salesman class teach them that.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:38 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desol11 View Post
Because that is all they know, there bible salesman class teach them that.
As a former christian, I was never taught to be dishonest.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:59 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
It depends on what we're talking about here. If it's evolution, yeah, I think some of them are intentionally being dishonest, or willfully ignorant. I could pay off our national debt if I had a quarter for every time some fundy said "well it's just a theory" regarding evolution. They don't even know what a theory means in science, apparently.

There's one or two posters here who do just flat out lie on the issue. That's not very Christian like, but when you're lying for Jesus, I suppose it's okay.

If we're talking about whether or not God is real and does things such as answering prayers, most sincerely believe that to be true. I don't think any lie on those issues, whether they're actually real/true or not.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:43 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
It depends on what we're talking about here. If it's evolution, yeah, I think some of them are intentionally being dishonest, or willfully ignorant. I could pay off our national debt if I had a quarter for every time some fundy said "well it's just a theory" regarding evolution. They don't even know what a theory means in science, apparently.

There's one or two posters here who do just flat out lie on the issue. That's not very Christian like, but when you're lying for Jesus, I suppose it's okay.
I think most who argue against evolution have simply been misled by others. That's what happened to me years ago, when I didn't actually understand the theory and was taught about it by others who didn't understand it, either. I don't consider that lying, though I'm sure some intentionally do. I think most who argue against it simply don't fully understand it and have been given bad or distorted information by others.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:54 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Most of the Christians that run apologetic sites like Answers in Genesis are well aware that they are lying for Jesus.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:08 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Most of the Christians that run apologetic sites like Answers in Genesis are well aware that they are lying for Jesus.
Indeed, I was thinking more of the ones who read and trust those sites for information.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Why
do you
think,
so many theist
who
are trying
to justify
their
beliefs,
usually resort to being dishonest?
enough food for thought.
enough deception.
possible, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality