Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:26 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times

Advertisements

What if you are wrong? What if at the last few moments before death you find out that the beliefs you've held to all your life have been wrong? You suddenly realize that if you don't change your mind/heart you will be lost forever...never to have the opportunity to live in eternity with God.

If you had the opportunity to change your belief system at that moment would you? And if you choose not to make that change, what is it that would stop you from doing so?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
What if you are wrong? What if at the last few moments before death you find out that the beliefs you've held to all your life have been wrong? You suddenly realize that if you don't change your mind/heart you will be lost forever...never to have the opportunity to live in eternity with God.

If you had the opportunity to change your belief system at that moment would you? And if you choose not to make that change, what is it that would stop you from doing so?
I don't think you get to choose what you truly believe in your heart.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:41 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What do you mean? Are you saying you don't have a choice as to what you truly believe? That it's set there and you have to accept what is there?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 PM

275 posts, read 434,117 times
Of course. That's a no brainer. You are basically asking me, if I am an atheist, if God suddenly appears before me and I have no reason to doubt my realization that this is said deity, would I convert? In a New York minute! Duh.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:

First the whole "What if you are wrong?" is the reason why I think it's important to respect the beliefs of others....because what if you ARE wrong!

Second, of course if Buddah, Ram, Allah or the Goddess showed up instead of Jesus or if Jesus showed up and said sorry I was only a great prophet not really the son of God...I'd be like....so sorry for my confusion, I'll go with you! Why wouldn't you change...there's the proof in front of you, not to change would be foolish at that point.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
He's not asking what you believe, he's asking if there it is the proof that you are wrong...what would you do then. It's not the same at all.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:11 PM

275 posts, read 434,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I'd be like....so sorry for my confusion, I'll go with you! Why wouldn't you change...there's the proof in front of you, not to change would be foolish at that point.
Oh, you say it so much better than me! But that's my sentiment exactly.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
What do you mean? Are you saying you don't have a choice as to what you truly believe? That it's set there and you have to accept what is there?
Well, when you said you find out what you/ve believed all along is wrong I took it to mean you found out through thought. i.e. in your head. I don't believe that what's in your head and heart always necessarily agree.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
He's not asking what you believe, he's asking if there it is the proof that you are wrong...what would you do then. It's not the same at all.
I'm not saying what I believe, I'm saying I don't think your mind can always control what you believe in your heart. If it could the question would be a no brainer, of course you'd change.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying what I believe, I'm saying I don't think your mind can always control what you believe in your heart. If it could the question would be a no brainer, of course you'd change.
Ok I see your point now. But even if your heart didn't want to follow...don't you think at that point, for arguments sake only, you'd act with your mind to save your a$$?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality