U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,355,250 times
Default Dogma

Dogma 1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.
2. An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true. See Synonyms at doctrine.
3. A principle or belief or a group of them: "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present" (Abraham Lincoln).

Characteristics of Dogma
True believers.
Irrational beliefs.
Powerful point of focus.
Heretics.
Genocidal Stupidity. (Not always)

Communist Dogma
True believers - The Party.
Irrational beliefs - collectivization, lysenkoism.
Powerful point of focus - Lenin, Stalin, the State.
Heretics - Trotskyism the Great Purges of the Bolshevik Party.
Genocidal Stupidity - Collectivization in the Ukraine.

Christian Dogma
True believers - The catholics.
Irrational beliefs - Virgin Birth, Heaven, Hell, Trinity.
Powerful point of focus - Jehovah, Jesus, Holy Spirit.
Heretics - Gnosticism, Protestants, Mormons, Jehovahs, Witnesses.
Genocidal Stupidity - Ban on Contraception, AIDS teaching in Africa, Regular European Pogroms, Witch Burnings and the Crusades.

Islamic Dogma
True believers - The Sunni.
Irrational beliefs - Quran is the most wonderful book ever written, Virgin Birth, Heaven, Hell.
Powerful point of focus - Allah.
Heretics - The Shia, Sufis
Genocidal Stupidity - Taliban, Crusades, Muslim Conquest of India.

Its quite clear, that any genocidal stupidity has always got a dogma behind it.

The worst genocides of the 20th Century
Mao Ze-Dong (China, 1958-61 and 1966-69, Tibet 1949-50) 49-78,000,000
Communist Dogma.

Jozef Stalin (USSR, 1932-39) 23,000,000 (the purges plus Ukraine’s famine)
Communist Dogma.

Adolf Hitler (Germany, 1939-1945) 12,000,000 (concentration camps and civilians WWII)
Racist dogma.

Hideki Tojo (Japan, 1941-44) 5,000,000 (civilians in WWII)
Emperor Worship Dogma.

Ismail Enver (Turkey, 1915) 1,200,000 Armenians
Ismail Enver (Turkey, 1916-22) 350,000 Greek Pontians and 480,000 Anatolian Greeks
Ismail Enver (Turkey, 1915-20) 500,000 Assyrians
Islamic Dogma.

Pol Pot (Cambodia, 1975-79) 1,700,000
Communist Dogma.

Kim Il Sung (North Korea, 1948-94) 1.6 million (purges and concentration camps)
Emperor Worship dogma.

Menghistu (Ethiopia, 1975-78) 1,500,000
Marxism Dogma.

Dogma is not something we need. For those who continue to keep dogma alive, explain why you do not want to abandon this evil.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 06:55 PM

7,165 posts, read 9,557,531 times
I loved that movie...........especially a God that plays foosball and does handstands wearing a skirt............

Old 09-13-2009, 08:27 PM

2,893 posts, read 7,788,158 times
I would be surprised if any of those here entrenched in their dogma have sufficient objectivity to answer your question.
Those who have been taken in by religious indoctrination and who are ruled by dogma see the mental constructs as truth and are not aware ... do not see from the "outside" (from any objective "platform" existing outside of the all pervasive system they mistake for reality) ... that they are living in and from a set of ideas and beliefs that are only that ... ideas and beliefs.
And they certainly do not see their religious dogma as evil.
So, it seems to be a futile question to ask here but i'm assuming that you know that and don't actually expect any clear and honest answers.
I don't think that "they" have that capacity.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 09-13-2009 at 08:42 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM

23 posts, read 30,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I would be surprised if any of those here entrenched in their dogma have sufficient objectivity to answer your question.
Those who have been taken in by religious indoctrination and who are ruled by dogma see the mental constructs as truth and are not aware ... do not see from the "outside" (from any objective "platform" existing outside of the all pervasive system they mistake for reality) ... that they are living in and from a set of ideas and beliefs that are only that ... ideas and beliefs.
And they certainly do not see their religious dogma as evil.
So, it seems to be a futile question to ask here but i'm assuming that you know that and don't actually expect any clear and honest answers.
I don't think that "they" have that capacity.
Sounds like the quote by Sigmund Freud.

"The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude towards humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life"
-Civilizations and its Discontents [1929]

Old 09-13-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardone View Post
Sounds like the quote by Sigmund Freud.

"The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude towards humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life"
-Civilizations and its Discontents [1929]
What was Freud (whom i sure hope i don't sound like - i'm certainly not informed by him) referring to?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:44 PM

23 posts, read 30,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
What was Freud (whom i sure hope i don't sound like - i'm certainly not informed by him) referring to?
Religion, I should have bracketed it.
In his "Future of an Illusion", he describes why and how people construct religion and explains how it is an illusion.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardone View Post
Religion, I should have bracketed it.
In his "Future of an Illusion", he describes why and how people construct religion and explains how it is an illusion.

Ah, well good for Freud then.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,355,250 times
A good video.

YouTube - The Human Dilemma: Dogma And Ignorance

Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 AM

24,366 posts, read 17,419,003 times
Great video! Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM

4,325 posts, read 3,223,569 times
I'm soooo glad my church doesn't have all the dogma! The only requirement for becoming a member of my church is that you pray for Divine Love. That's it. Nothing else. And they don't even make you do that if you don't want to. They let you think about it and observe the rest of the people and then, when your ready, you can pray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality