Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 PM

562 posts, read 660,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellnj View Post
I want to get some input on what all of you think about the Jehovah wittness
so called religion.
Considering the founder, Mr. Russell couldn't read a lick of Hebrew or Greek, and considering their version of the christian bible, the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION was re-written 11 times..... AND considering they had falsly prophesied the end of the world more than once.... resulting in thousands of peoples lives being ruined by giving away all their worldly posessions as the result of their 'faith' in the end of the world in 1975 (of course the Watchtower organization hushed all that up ya know).........

Old 05-20-2007, 11:47 PM

562 posts, read 660,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
My mother is and has been a JW for the past 31 years. They do worship Jesus. They don't believe in the trinity. They believe God, Jesus, and the Holy spirit are three different entities. But they do worship Christ.

You were right, jbognar.
Actually, NO, they do NOT worship Jesus. They see Jesus as the SON of God, but not equal and one with Jehovah.

Go ask your mothers Pastor..... Unless they changed THAT too.. haha They are always switching their story!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:40 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Actually, NO, they do NOT worship Jesus. They see Jesus as the SON of God, but not equal and one with Jehovah.

Go ask your mothers Pastor..... Unless they changed THAT too.. haha They are always switching their story!
Yes, you're right. As I stated before, they see Jesus as the son and are viewed as seperate entities, but both are worshiped. Or as someone else stated God is worshipped through His son.

The biggest difference here is that they do NOT believe in the trinity. So Jehovah would be worshiped before Jesus, after all he is His son.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Considering the founder, Mr. Russell couldn't read a lick of Hebrew or Greek, and considering their version of the christian bible, the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION was re-written 11 times..... AND considering they had falsly prophesied the end of the world more than once.... resulting in thousands of peoples lives being ruined by giving away all their worldly posessions as the result of their 'faith' in the end of the world in 1975 (of course the Watchtower organization hushed all that up ya know).........
I doubt any religion is free from embarrassing facts like this.
Think about Catholicism, with their pedophilia, and burning people at the stake for owning copies of the bible, and the crusades, and how they treated Gallileo for daring to say that the Earth revolves around the Sun....

I'd like to know what your religion is...I'm sure I could come up with a bunch of embarrassing stuff about it too!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:06 AM

33 posts, read 137,973 times
This is to Pretty Hate Machine....... My motherinlaw is a JW and has been for 30 yrs or more.My husband though is baptist after she tryed to get him to be a JW.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder ccs View Post
This is to Pretty Hate Machine....... My motherinlaw is a JW and has been for 30 yrs or more.My husband though is baptist after she tryed to get him to be a JW.
Has he said the reason why he was turned off the JW religion?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 AM

Yeah, He really resencted having all of the holidays and birthday taken away from him. She turned JW when he around 11yrs old. He says she broke up the family with this.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder ccs View Post
Yeah, He really resencted having all of the holidays and birthday taken away from him. She turned JW when he around 11yrs old. He says she broke up the family with this.
I did too. I remember being isolated in a different classroom at my mother's request, when all the other kids were celebrating their birthdays and holidays. Even though I'm an athiest, I would never put my kid through that come Christmas or Easter.

When my mother became a JW, my parents divorced and it broke up my "Christian" family to this day. I saw first hand how divisive religion can be and is.

The pastors and the members of the church never liked me though. I never considered baptism and I questioned the bible and all their teachings at an early age. I remember when I was six or seven questioning one of their teachings. They said before the flood all animals lived in peace, or was it in the garden of Eden?, I can't remember. That's one of their excuses as to why the animals did not maul each other in Noah's Ark(another teaching I questioned). The lion did not eat the gazelle, the wolf the sheep, so on and so forth. My question was if animals lived amongst each other in peace, why did some animals have defense mechanisms such as poison, camouflage, etc. Remember I was just a snot-nose punk asking these questions and I could see that it would bug them when I would ask it. Suffice to say, I never received an answer and as a result doubt crept up real quick. I wasn't a good sheep. I left as soon as I could.

For the record, that isn't the reason why I am now an anti-theist. But it did open my eyes and my desire to study other religions and teachings.

Peace!

Old 05-23-2007, 03:43 AM

Well, his parents are not divorced but his father is not a JW just his mom and sister are. When my motherinlaw became one his sister was only around 4yrs old so she was young and did not know any better. For my father in law this was a way to get of buying x-mas and birthday presents CHEAP!. It really did not bother me until I had my daughter then when you know when the holidays rolled around and birthdays nothing I guess thats when it really hit me.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 PM

328 posts, read 565,856 times
The problem with the Jehovah's Witnesses is the same as with much of the Bible-only Protestant crowd (i.e., only some groups within the Protestant tradition). The JWs think that if you analyze the Bible long enough and carefully enough you will be able to extract a complete, consistent, unambiguous, and therefore "true" theology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality