Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times

Advertisements

I'm of no particular faith although I did grow up with Christian influence. What ponders me is, I always find myself "thanking God" when good things happen in life whether it's in my own life or others. As a kid, I would also "blame God" for the "bad things" that happen but I don't do that as an adult. I usually just accept the fact that sometimes bad things happen!

For someone who is Christian, my question is, why do people "Thank God" for good things that happen in your life and say that "it was God's will" for the bad things that happen? Or, I've also heard "God has a plan for all of us" speech from Christians, too. When my Dad died, I got a LOT of those type of condolences although it really didn't make me feel any better.

For non-religious folk: do you ever "Thank God" when something good happens? When something "bad" happens, how do you usually react?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 AM

90 posts, read 264,623 times
I have noticed that generally speaking people thank God when something good happens, but they also blame God when bad things happen.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
For someone who is Christian, my question is, why do people "Thank God" for good things that happen in your life and say that "it was God's will" for the bad things that happen? Or, I've also heard "God has a plan for all of us" speech from Christians, too. When my Dad died, I got a LOT of those type of condolences although it really didn't make me feel any better.

Because it's true.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:49 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
For non-religious folk: do you ever "Thank God" when something good happens? When something "bad" happens, how do you usually react?
No, I never thank god, as I do not think that god exists. Nor do I blame god.

Things simply happen. On a large scale, things such as earthquakes and tsunamis happen because of physics. On a more personal scale, things happen because of our interactions with others. I see no reason for a guiding force nudging events in one direction or another.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Yes! I always thank Him, I thank Him for small stuff too, like finding a close parking space, when I'm looking for something at home and find it, He is in everything. I have NEVER blamed God for anything bad in my life because I believe everything that comes into my life is either sent by Him, or He allowed it to happen. Romans 8 28 says He works all things to good to those love Him and are called to His purpose. I trust God even in the bad times because this is when my faith grows the strongest and I feel His love and protection even more, He is always there with me in the good and the bad. Faith like film develops best in the dark.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Ephesians 5:20..."giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.."

We are to be of a thankful heart to God in ALL things -- not just the good things or during good times. If we put God first in our lives in all things, He will take care of the rest, including the Holy Spirit's comfort and guidance during bad times. I wish I could say that I consistently do this...but I do know that in some very troubling times, I lean on Him even more and He surely has better answers than I do. These are also times when there's no doubt when you see prayers answered.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Atheist authers refer to this as the 'god of the gaps'. Things we don't understand, or something we need to thank or blame we call 'God'. According to these authors theories its where all religion stems from i.g sun gods, wind gods, gravity gods, weather gods, crop gods etc etc

Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
i thank God for the good things and for the bad things. I thank my God, My Master, my Savior, and my creator for without HIM I would not have life, i would not have His Truth, I would not have his Mercy and Grace that saved me from Death unto Life eternal.

So i thank HIM each and everyday for the breathe of Life, for his Only begotten Son Jesus, for the good people and for the lost people he has put in my life. for the Sun and sky, and rain and sea, for my parents, and wife and family and church and all things, material and immaterial I give HIM Thanks.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:00 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Atheist authers refer to this as the 'god of the gaps'. Things we don't understand, or something we need to thank or blame we call 'God'. According to these authors theories its where all religion stems from i.g sun gods, wind gods, gravity gods, weather gods, crop gods etc etc
That makes sense. I do tend to say "thank god" because I was indoctrinated into the Christian faith for most of my life. Sometimes I catch myself saying "oh lawd" too. Old habits are hard to break.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:15 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,247 times
I thank myself if something good happens because 9 times out of 10 i'm the one that made it happen. I also blame myself if something wrong happens in my life for the same reason.

Like I said to someone before, I do have faith. In myself. Because in the end, that's all that really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality