Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
The LDS were not persecuted[;] they were only expected to abide by the law like any other US citizen.
OK, Spunky, if you want to play revisionist history for $500, then you will have to play by yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 09:15 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post

Is it worthy of discussion because Mormon settlers were involved? If it is, then we also need to discuss the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Haun's Mill Massacre, the Mormon Extermination Order, and the Mob killings of Joseph Smith and his brother, just to be fair.
SergeantL the thread topic is regarding the Mountain Meadows Massacre, and it is a timely discussion because of the recent documentary on the Mormons and the Hollywood movie that is coming out.
You are obviously defensive regarding this issue and I can't believe that you are implying that we should not discuss this. If you would like to start a thread on the Inquisition or Crusades please feel free.
But I would kindly request that you show us respect and allow us to continue the debate.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I found it very interesting in the "documentary" on PBS how that Massacre was handled. It also concerns me that approximately ten minutes was spent on the discussion about the massacre of those people, and the massacres, plural, that the Latter-day Saints endured time and again were casually and quickly mentioned. I'm not saying that the Meadows Massacre was not a horrible, terrible event by any means. I'm also not saying that it didn't happen. I am saying that we need to be careful to find the facts for our own selves.
you asked me if I am if I am condoning the Meadows Massacre, I think I stated that plainly......

Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I agree....it's disturbing that these events occurred in the United States of America, a country founded on freedom of religion. Which, incidently, is a right guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States. Somehow, this right did not apply to the American Latter-day Saints in that time period. A lot of people will say that the government turned against the Saints due to polygamy, but the persecutions occurred before that, a fact well documented.
and just to reiterate this point.....

Old 05-03-2007, 04:39 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
SergeantL the thread topic is regarding the Mountain Meadows Massacre, and it is a timely discussion because of the recent documentary on the Mormons and the Hollywood movie that is coming out.
You are obviously defensive regarding this issue and I can't believe that you are implying that we should not discuss this. If you would like to start a thread on the Inquisition or Crusades please feel free.
But I would kindly request that you show us respect and allow us to continue the debate.
Spunky, with all due respect I must say I don't think we're debating. I mean you titled this thread the "truth".... Well I can guarantee you the that movie may contain truth but Hollywood will put a negative spin on things and make the mormons look like the devil. I just don't understand where the debate or discussion is? If you have questions you want to discuss I'll be more than happy to answer them but I'm a little

Old 05-03-2007, 04:43 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Hey guys,

We are here to exchange thoughts, ideas and have "friendly" debate.

HG

Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Spunky, with all due respect I must say I don't think we're debating. I mean you titled this thread the "truth".... Well I can guarantee you the that movie may contain truth but Hollywood will put a negative spin on things and make the mormons look like the devil. I just don't understand where the debate or discussion is? If you have questions you want to discuss I'll be more than happy to answer them but I'm a little
No, No, No Dreameyes then you misunderstood my intent, or I did not do a good job of portraying my thoughts!
My title; The Truth About Mountain Meadows was meant to be in jest, sarcastic because it is going to be a Hollywood movie. That is why I put the word truth in parenthesis! I did not mean to imply that the truth was being revealed or anything like it. I just thought it was interesting that a movie was coming out and the documentary was just on and we were discussing it.
I am very skeptical of anything Hollywood portrays.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Hey guys,

We are here to exchange thoughts, ideas and have "friendly" debate.

HG
Right, I thought we were I meant no disrespect and I thought it was an interesting topic.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Oh got ya! Thanks for that clarification spunky. I totally agree that anything based on a "true" story that comes out of Hollywood should raise an eyebrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality