U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2007, 01:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,010,617 times
Quote:
Where is New Testament scripture that condemns being a homosexual as opposed to those which condemn gay sexual acts? "Being" and "acting out" are two different things, are they not?
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 states: "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."
I think it pretty much sums up how God feels about such things.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:53 PM

564 posts, read 1,292,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 states: "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."
I think it pretty much sums up how God feels about such things.
Nice quote. Sorry for being off-topic, but what is a "reviler"?

Old 07-19-2007, 02:00 PM

7,226 posts, read 10,904,195 times
Doesn't Paul in 1 Corinthians also say women should cover their heads in church? Or they are "dishonoring their head" or something similar?

I should start a "women's hats for church" business. I can see the possibilities now.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 222,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Doesn't Paul in 1 Corinthians also say women should cover their heads in church? Or they are "dishonoring their head" or something similar?

I should start a "women's hats for church" business. I can see the possibilities now.
It says many things along these lines that are obviously not for today. Good point.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,010,617 times
Quote:
what is a "reviler"?
According to the dictionary, it is someone who uses abusive language excessively, although I would think using it at all is not a good idea either.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
According to the dictionary, it is someone who uses abusive language excessively, although I would think using it at all is not a good idea either.
Thanks, I couldn't find it on Google, so I was lost. I rely on that site WAY too much.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM

7,226 posts, read 10,904,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Thanks, I couldn't find it on Google, so I was lost. I rely on that site WAY too much.
I always throw in "definition" after the word and I get tons of hits

reviler definition - Google Search

Although, in this case "one who reviles" doesn't help much LOL.

BTW: thanks Jeff.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I always throw in "definition" after the word and I get tons of hits

reviler definition - Google Search

Although, in this case "one who reviles" doesn't help much LOL.
HAHA! True. We're getting way off-topic, but I normally do something like:

define: reviler

Which came up with nothing. But for most words it will offer some great definitions in a very easy-to-read manner.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:24 PM

52 posts, read 100,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I've been reading a lot of posts today and decided to start this thread because of comments that I've read. By no means am I gay, nor Christian but I am curious where in the Bible does it say that being gay is wrong?

Also, if Christ died for our sins and being gay is a sin, then why couldn't have Christ died for gays' sins as well? We commit sins every day. Some worse than others. Why is it that a murderer who is truly sorry for his sin can be forgiven yet a gay person is constantly judged by Christians?

The only person who should judge is God, right? He is ultimately the one who decides whether we go to heaven or hell so why is it that at the "church level" gays are judged and "kicked out" of their religion?
The practice of sodomy is a forgivable sin just as others are.

The verses/chapters you are looking for are:

Romans 1
I Corinthians 6:9-10
Lev. 18:22
Lev. 20:13

No comment needed since they are very plain and to the point.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:08 PM

24,773 posts, read 27,759,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
HAHA! True. We're getting way off-topic, but I normally do something like:

define: reviler

Which came up with nothing. But for most words it will offer some great definitions in a very easy-to-read manner.
Just go to Dictionary.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality