Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:58 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Typically, I get annoyed when Christians quote scripture to prove their point and expect me to accept the Bible as incontrovertible fact. This time, however, I welcome scripture and will be looking forward to people's responses. Don't get me wrong, I respect the Bible and Christian faith, and all religions for that matter so I didn't mean any disrespect.

I guess our view of being gay is different. You say it's a lifestyle; I say it is not by choice just like child molesters can't help who they are either. (Let me apoligize in advance to any gays that are are offended I put you guys on the same level as child molesters! I was just trying to make a point that being gay is not a choice of lifestyle but rather innate! Sorry sorry! It was the only example I could think of right now!) Some have the will power to subdue their urges while others do not (and become priests ... okay, bad joke. Man, I'm striking out!).

I'm sure there are plenty of Christian husbands who cheat on their wives, Christian politicians who lie to gain political ground, Christian couples who divorce, Christian drivers who flick people off on the highway, Christian felons/convicts, Christian Starbuck customers who get short tempered at the barista, Christian siblings who fight over inheritances, Christian frauds who cheat people out of their money, Christian sinners. Granted, I see your point about the gay lifestyle, that they are commiting the same sin everyday, but humor me for a moment and let's say being gay is what they are born with and not a lifestyle choice. Would gays be accepted then?
I will have the Scripture verses up in a moment, but you made some good points; however, the fact is being gay is a choice just as choosing to murder an unborn infant. But there is one difference, it is a choice that one "practices" and is in that sin until they stop, repent, and forsake it.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:04 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

"Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet." (Romans 1:25-27)

"And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly; And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished." (2 Peter 2:6-9)

Genesis 13:13 - But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly.

Genesis 18:20 - And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

Leviticus 18:22-23 - Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.

Deuteronomy 23:17-18 - There shall be no ***** of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel. Thou shalt not bring the hire of a *****, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Isaiah 3:9 - The show of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.

1 Corinthians 6:9 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 - Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine.

Jude 1:7-8 - Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:
however, the fact is being gay is a choice just as choosing to murder an unborn infant.
No, being gay is not a choice. You do not have ANY conclusive evidence that shows same-sex attraction is choice, much like I don't have any conclusive evidence that it isn't.

But whatever, continue thinking what you like in your religious halls and private life - just keep your beliefs out of my government and civil affairs.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I will have the Scripture verses up in a moment, but you made some good points; however, the fact is being gay is a choice just as choosing to murder an unborn infant. But there is one difference, it is a choice that one "practices" and is in that sin until they stop, repent, and forsake it.

Can you offer proof of what you claim is fact or are you simply offering your own personal bias as fact?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:00 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Actually, my SIL is a heroin addict (well, a drug addict in general and addiction runs in the family) and time and time again she goes to church, asks for forgiveness, falls off the wagon and the cycle starts all over again. Yes, her addiction is innate and yes, she does continue her heroin-driven lifestyle. She can be forgiven, empathized even, yet gays are still shunned and outcasted by Christians. To me, that's such an "un-Christian" thing to do.
Gays arn't shunned and outcasted at least by me, their behavior is! That is an important distinction many people fail to mention. Hate the sin, Love the sinner! The difference is your SIL is trying but gays are actively engaging in homosexuality.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Gays arn't shunned and outcasted at least by me, their behavior is! That is an important distinction many people fail to mention. Hate the sin, Love the sinner! The difference is your SIL is trying but gays are actively engaging in homosexuality.
Good point, I don't hate, shun or cast out anyone who is gay, but I do not condone their behavior. If being gay was not a choice God would never have said to stay away from it. If a person could be born gay the Bible, God's Word would not say it was wrong.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:13 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post

Does this also apply to men who marry divorced women?

Matthew 5:31-32

31 "It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' 32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Well one of the places it's found is Levitcus:

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)

"If a man lie with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

Of course Leviticus also has these pearls of wisdom in it:

"For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

"If a man lies with a woman during her sickness and uncovers her nakedness, he has discovered her flow, and she has uncovered the flow of her blood. Both of them shall be cut off from her people." (Leviticus 20:18)

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." (Leviticus 25:44-45)

"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." (Leviticus 19:27)

"...do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear material woven of two kinds of material." (Leviticus 19:19)

Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well one of the places it's found is Levitcus:

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)

"If a man lie with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

Of course Leviticus also has these pearls of wisdom in it:

"For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

"If a man lies with a woman during her sickness and uncovers her nakedness, he has discovered her flow, and she has uncovered the flow of her blood. Both of them shall be cut off from her people." (Leviticus 20:18)

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." (Leviticus 25:44-45)

"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." (Leviticus 19:27)

"...do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear material woven of two kinds of material." (Leviticus 19:19)

So, I believe this has been answered before, we should be putting homosexuals to death right? That's what Leviticus says. Someone told me that that is the old laws and after the NT everything changed.

So, let me get this straight. God is a demented being who advocates the murder of homosexuals, prostitutes, first born children, and then he has a son of his own.

His son comes to earth and spreads the word of God and we brutally murder him. However, at this point, everything has changed. We no longer are supposed to stone unfaithful women, kill first-born children, and murder homosexuals. So God goes from being a maniacal monster to a loving caring God who loves all his children on earth. And, people say evolution is hard to believe.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:33 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So, I believe this has been answered before, we should be putting homosexuals to death right? That's what Leviticus says. Someone told me that that is the old laws and after the NT everything changed.

So, let me get this straight. God is a demented being who advocates the murder of homosexuals, prostitutes, first born children, and then he has a son of his own.

His son comes to earth and spreads the word of God and we brutally murder him. However, at this point, everything has changed. We no longer are supposed to stone unfaithful women, kill first-born children, and murder homosexuals. So God goes from being a maniacal monster to a loving caring God who loves all his children on earth. And, people say evolution is hard to believe.
LOL! Well it is called faith, not fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality