Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:09 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Does everyone agree with this passage?
Passage sucks, personally...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 02:21 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
You'd need to get a Hindu convert to Christianity. I think big issues are rejection of the caste system and disagreements people have with the idea of karma.
With study of the Bible comes the realization that Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu, Laxmi, Kali and so on, if they are real at all, are demons.

Last edited by Bideshi; 09-19-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 02:23 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,579 times
Quote:
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Does everyone agree with this passage?

YouTube - Zakir Naik - Jesus said I'm the Way; I and Father are One

Old 09-19-2009, 02:24 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
There are a great many commonalities between Christianity and many other religions some common tenants are virgin birth, December 25 birth, resurection, and so forth. Since much of the Christian traditions were confabulated by the political powers of the day... they even removed several books of the bible, I am surprised so many hold so tight to the words that didn't even have a divine origin

There are many paths to God one is no more right than the other, just different.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:50 PM

87 posts, read 134,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well I believe Peter makes very clear in Acts 4,11,12

"This Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the cornerstone. And there is (SALVATION IN NO ONE ELSE,) for there is (NO OTHER NAME UNDER HEAVEN GIVEN AMONG MEN BY WHICH WE MUST BE SAVED.")

And Jesus makes clear that the path of salvation is a narrow one. Matthew 7,13,14

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, (AND MANY ENTER THROUGH IT.) But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, (AND ONLY A FEW FIND IT.)

Truly, Christ sacrifice was made so that all men of truth will follow Him. And that is why Peter states. There is (NO OTHER NAME GIVEN UNTO MEN TO BE SAVED).
There's no conflict for me here. Jesus saves all. All must be saved by Jesus and were/are/will be by the work that's already done. It doesn't say "the name by which men might be saved" and the name is not about a literal name. If it was about a literal name the majority of Christians would be going to Hell because Jesus' literal name wasn't Jesus. He was called Yeshua.

As to the passages of the narrow gate, the passage is not a contrast of Heaven and Hell. I'd explain the way I understand it but I did that yesterday for some people on another thread who insisted it was too complicated and reading too much into it to actually bring up parallel metaphors that occur later in the Bible, to discuss the metaphor that comes directly after that passage and the qualities Jesus was expounding on beforehand. I've realized fundamentalists don't like metaphors although Jesus loved them, and often hate the idea of reading in context. I suspect you're a fundamentalist (although I could be wrong) so I don't think we're going to get very far.

Last edited by virtue_summer; 09-19-2009 at 03:01 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 03:16 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
... what's right is not always popular.
That's quite true, oh son of Tom. For instance, Evolution's really unpopular with Christian fundies, despite it being proven.

As to the OP, who, honestly now, would agree with a myth?

Old 09-19-2009, 03:18 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
It's true for a Christian. They believe it. And I am fine with that belief until they start saying that those who do not believe, will go to hell. That's the main problem with Christians. They can't leave well enough alone. I was following Christianity years ago. I never "got" the getting saved part. Saved from what ? Diablo ? Flames ? I left the religion behind. I do believe in the "right" to be as Christian as they personally wish. But not to cram the Conditions down the throats of non believers. Not ALL Christians cram, to give them credit. Some live, and let live.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:19 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
There are a great many commonalities between Christianity and many other religions some common tenants are virgin birth, December 25 birth, resurection, and so forth. Since much of the Christian traditions were confabulated by the political powers of the day... they even removed several books of the bible, I am surprised so many hold so tight to the words that didn't even have a divine origin

There are many paths to God one is no more right than the other, just different.
Of course you DO realize that the Dec 25th birthday was simply Christianity hijacking a mid-winter pagan festival so as to eliminate it and overlay it with a good old Christian occasion. Don't you?

How much else in Christianity is a fake, designed to subvert people's faith and grab power for themselves?

Just curious as to the Christian take on this fact.....

Old 09-19-2009, 03:43 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Of course you DO realize that the Dec 25th birthday was simply Christianity hijacking a mid-winter pagan festival so as to eliminate it and overlay it with a good old Christian occasion. Don't you?

How much else in Christianity is a fake, designed to subvert people's faith and grab power for themselves?

Just curious as to the Christian take on this fact.....
I'm not a Christian by any means but as a person with a somewhat pagan outlook on life, I can tell you that much of the Christian religious celebrations were lifted from pagan belief systems and rituals.

For instance:

The Easter Bunny handing out eggs has its roots in pagan mythology. The calendar, the rabbit, and the eggs are all tied to Celtic mythology. The primary purpose of Easter and its most direct holiday relative, Ostara, is the celebration of the Spring Equinox, a day that marks the beginning of spring and the planting season. Do we all notice the similarity between the name "Ostara" and the word "Easter"?

Also integrated into Christianity is the pagan tradition and superstitions related to the celebrating and protecting oneself from ghosts and spirits, which became All Hallows' Eve and All Saints Day. (Halloween).

The pagan festival of the invisible sun at the winter solstice is a European tribal tradition celebrated for the last ten thousand years at the shortest day and longest night of the year. European native peoples since ancient times have held ceremonies for the recovery of the sun god at this time, a time which later became known as “Christmas”.

As we all know, if Jesus existed at all, it is likely that he was born in the spring as the shepherds were tending their flocks--something that wouldn't be happening in the dead of winter.

There are more Christian traditions rooted in Paganism but I just don't have the time to list them all. It's a beautiful day in southeastern Wyoming and I'm going to take a drive in the mountains.

Oh and C34...there are numerous religions within the pagan realm in which fulfilled prophesy takes center stage. I'd be happy to go into some of them later--but for now, the sunshine beckons me to partake.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:50 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtue_summer View Post
There's no conflict for me here. Jesus saves all. All must be saved by Jesus and were/are/will be by the work that's already done. It doesn't say "the name by which men might be saved" and the name is not about a literal name. If it was about a literal name the majority of Christians would be going to Hell because Jesus' literal name wasn't Jesus. He was called Yeshua.

As to the passages of the narrow gate, the passage is not a contrast of Heaven and Hell. I'd explain the way I understand it but I did that yesterday for some people on another thread who insisted it was too complicated and reading too much into it to actually bring up parallel metaphors that occur later in the Bible, to discuss the metaphor that comes directly after that passage and the qualities Jesus was expounding on beforehand. I've realized fundamentalists don't like metaphors although Jesus loved them, and often hate the idea of reading in context. I suspect you're a fundamentalist (although I could be wrong) so I don't think we're going to get very far.

Of course you can only believe Jesus saves all if you are willing to ignore the other passages in the Bible.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave us His only Son, that (WHOSOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM) will not persish but will have everlasting life.

The Bible does not say Jesus saves all. The Bible tells us, that (WHOSOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM ) will be saved. And please don't blame that passage on the fundamentalists.

Matthew 13:41,42 The son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

2 Thessalonians 1:9 The Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengenance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.

If Jesus saves all, such verses would not exist, and you can only believe what you do, by ignoring such verses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality