U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 12:44 PM

193 posts, read 67,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
... By your definition, the city of Köln does not exist.

Köln was never an island city that had it's island no more ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 12:58 PM

14,880 posts, read 10,111,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Yes, finally, thank you for affirming that Tyre WAS an ISLAND & fortified walled city - proudly impervious to siege (because it was an island!).
Which I brought to your attention because in another post you said...

Quote:
Tyre WAS a proud interpenetratable walled fortress and luxurious mainland city and wealthy peoples(and re-known economic 'center of the world')...
You clearly don't even know the difference between an island and a mainland city.

You're not worth the effort of typing out further replies. I have proven my case.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Köln was never an island city that had it's island no more ......
Oh dear! How can anyone be so thick!

Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 PM

37,630 posts, read 10,202,688 times
Quote:
Well, this is just going in circles now;

Raf refuses to look/consider/interpret the WHOLE of the text/prophecy choosing instead to 'force' just a few verses (Neb) to 'fit' his agenda...... round and round and round ....

Trans at least looks at the whole text, but still is getting tripped up between "I", "They", and "He";

Tyre WAS a proud interpenetratable walled fortress and luxurious mainland city and wealthy peoples(and re-known economic 'center of the world') - ALL flattened ( ALL her soldiers killed and remaining peoples sold off into slavery) and never rebuilt as it was before (which is what 'rebuilding' entails). Kinda hard for her peoples to 'rebuild' when THEY no longer exist! Only RUINS remain till today on original sites. Prophecy fulfilled. See for yourself - Google for current pics/images of ruin sites. NO walled fortress- NO luxurious city. (snip)
You are cheating by changing what the prophecy says

3 Therefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, O Tyrus, and will cause many nations to come up against thee, as the sea causeth his waves to come up.
4 And they shall destroy the walls of Tyrus, and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock.
5 It shall be a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord God: and it shall become a spoil to the nations.

and ending up by saying that it shall be 'found no more'.

And trying to make what Tyre ("Sur") is Not like now what the prophecy says. The towers were the fortifications on the island off shore. 'In the midst of the sea'. and it was reduced - by Alexander, not by Nebuchadnezzar. He built the assault causeway out to it to attack it. That causeway gradually silted up and that was the place for spreading nets even when they had rebuilt the place.

The photo you showed is Island, mainland and causeway silted up so it is all one land mass, and ALL rebuilt. The prophecy fails.

I gather that you are trying the 'it is a different city, built on the old sit'. In all but crafty evasion, that is Tyre rebult, as it was in the Seleucid times, Roman times and up to the present.

Please explain how 'I', 'They' and 'He' makes any difference to the fact that the prophecy fails.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:08 PM

7,750 posts, read 4,608,090 times
Quote:
Wrong- Raf's article (and mine) ratted you out - quote "[SIZE=2]The town's 30,000 residents were massacred or sold into slavery."...[/SIZE]
Then why keep the name Tyre? If it so vexed Alexander that he had to tear it to the ground instead of just enslaving the majority of the populace (30,000 left alive) without genocide, why not name it Alexandria?

Don't fool yourself.

Quote:
Many, however, found safety with the Sidonians among the Macedonian troops. Although these had entered the city with the conquerors, they remained aware that they were related to the Tyrians [...] and so they secretly gave many of them protection and took them to their boats, on which they were hidden and transported to Sidon. 15,000 were rescued from a violent death (of 8,000) or slavery (of 30,000) by such subterfuge. ~https://www.livius.org/articles/battle/tyre-332-bce/
Since 30,000 slaves + 15,000 escapes means 45,000 Tyrians versus the death of 8,000 Tyrians (and whatever hundreds of suicides), The city's name was kept as Tyre in honor of the very religious and pagan Tyrians and their subjugated King and it was rebuilt. Just the same as other cities in the past.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Then why keep the name Tyre? If it so vexed Alexander that he had to tear it to the ground instead of just enslaving the majority of the populace (30,000 left alive) without genocide, why not name it Alexandria?

Don't fool yourself.

Since 30,000 slaves + 15,000 escapes means 45,000 Tyrians versus the death of 8,000 Tyrians (and whatever hundreds of suicides), The city's name was kept as Tyre in honor of the very religious and pagan Tyrians and their subjugated King and it was rebuilt. Just the same as other cities in the past.
Don't forget that Tyre was part of the Phoenecian trading empire. Even if Alexander had killed or enslaved every last Tyrian, the other sea -ports would simply rebuild and repopulate the port.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:31 PM

7,750 posts, read 4,608,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Don't forget that Tyre was part of the Phoenecian trading empire. Even if Alexander had killed or enslaved every last Tyrian, the other sea -ports would simply rebuild and repopulate the port.
But Alexander did not kill or enslave every last Tyrian. The city kept its name because it survived and was rebuilt. About 30,000 remained on the Island as Macedonian Slaves, about 15,000 escaped, the King and rulers were spared to pay tribute to Alexander's Empire through their new ruler from the mainland. There was nothing racist or genocidal about Alexander's conquest of Tyre. Thus Tyre survived and was rebuilt as Tyre again.

In fact, Alexander sacrificed to their "Highest God" Savior at their Temple after he conquered them, saying it was actually Heracles who they were worshiping as Melqart and Hercules were "fully the same full god" in his estimation.

Quote:
While Baal (Lord), El (God), and Baalat (Lordess) were important deities at other Phoenician cities, Melqart was considered the head of the pantheon at Tyre. Indeed, his very name means ‘king of the city’ (melekqart) and he was referred to as Baal de Sor or ‘Lord of Tyre’. Melqart, in addition, assumed some of the characteristics of both Adonis (Lord) and Eshmun ('8th' of his father, the Righteous) as he was the focus of a festival of resurrection each year in the month of Peritia (February-March) in which a sacrifice was made by fire or a figure of the god was ritually burnt (which was likely how they thought he saved the world and resurrected). Hence, his other name the ‘fire of heaven’.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:34 PM

I shouldn't bother chaps. He's given the game away as to what he's up to. Not worth the typing.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
But Alexander did not kill or enslave every last Tyrian. The city kept its name because it survived and was rebuilt. About 30,000 remained on the Island as Macedonian Slaves, about 15,000 escaped, the King and rulers were spared to pay tribute to Alexander's Empire through their new ruler from the mainland. There was nothing racist or genocidal about Alexander's conquest of Tyre. Thus Tyre survived and was rebuilt as Tyre again.

In fact, Alexander sacrificed to their "Highest God" Savior at their Temple after he conquered them, saying it was actually Heracles who they were worshiping as Melqart and Hercules were "fully the same full god" in his estimation.
I agree. Alexander reduced Tyre because it did not submit (he did the same with Thebes). My point was that, even if he had done so, the Phoenecian infrastructure could have rebuilt and repopulated it.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree. Alexander reduced Tyre because it did not submit (he did the same with Thebes). My point was that, even if he had done so, the Phoenecian infrastructure could have rebuilt and repopulated it.
...as indeed it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality