U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,421,723 times
Reputation: 589

Advertisements

What do you mean when you say this?

Example
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I understand to a point. But I dont think that someone has to be spiritual to see the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2009, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
3,956 posts, read 4,627,790 times
Reputation: 2361
I think it means that someone believes in things like god or the afterlife but they don't adhere to any specific religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,421,723 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I think it means that someone believes in things like god or the afterlife but they don't adhere to any specific religion.
So believing in things without evidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 09:06 PM
 
2,629 posts, read 3,314,924 times
Reputation: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
So believing in things without evidence?
That would be a better definition of faith.When someone says they are spiritual its a more vague concept where they have no real set beliefs that require 'faith' or a defined belief system but rather believe that there is 'something out there' but the specifics arent important.Its more of a philosophy then a set religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 10,668,194 times
Reputation: 1780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
So believing in things without evidence?
Maybe you could say that people who refer to themselves as spiritual but not religious have a similar longing for "god" (big quotes), the mystery, whatever you wanna call it, but are not interested in partaking in religious institutions, doctrine, dogma, etc..
This issue was addressed today on NPR on the Diane Rehm show.
She spoke with Harvey Cox the professor of divinity at the Harvard Divinity School.
WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio - The Diane Rehm Show for Monday September 21, 2009
It's about half way down the page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 04:22 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,890 posts, read 18,602,501 times
Reputation: 8584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
So believing in things without evidence?
Well, yeah.

I make no bones about it, I believe in something thats bigger than me, and the entire human race. Is that something a vengeful God, who wants me to kill people who don't believe in him, no. Is it a man sitting on a throne in the clouds, doubtful.

I believe we all go to some kind of collective something, whatever that is I don't know.

I believe this, because I feel it. I feel something when I people watch. I felt something when my son was born, I feel things all the time that simply don't make sense.

I'm not going to tell anyone else to believe what I do, I come to my conclusions from personal experience. I have no proof, nor I doubt I ever will. But If I were you, I wouldn't be so dismissive of others beliefs. I love talking to people with different views than mine. I love hearing their stories, but I'm still respectful of their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 04:30 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,421,723 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Well, yeah.

I make no bones about it, I believe in something thats bigger than me, and the entire human race. Is that something a vengeful God, who wants me to kill people who don't believe in him, no. Is it a man sitting on a throne in the clouds, doubtful.

I believe we all go to some kind of collective something, whatever that is I don't know.

I believe this, because I feel it. I feel something when I people watch. I felt something when my son was born, I feel things all the time that simply don't make sense.

I'm not going to tell anyone else to believe what I do, I come to my conclusions from personal experience. I have no proof, nor I doubt I ever will. But If I were you, I wouldn't be so dismissive of others beliefs. I love talking to people with different views than mine. I love hearing their stories, but I'm still respectful of their beliefs.
So your definition is spiritual = afterlife.
So how can you feel or be spiritual without being dead?

Beliefs don't deserve respect. Name one other belief, other then religious belief, where people demand that you show respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 04:32 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,421,723 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Maybe you could say that people who refer to themselves as spiritual but not religious have a similar longing for "god" (big quotes), the mystery, whatever you wanna call it, but are not interested in partaking in religious institutions, doctrine, dogma, etc..
This issue was addressed today on NPR on the Diane Rehm show.
She spoke with Harvey Cox the professor of divinity at the Harvard Divinity School.
WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio - The Diane Rehm Show for Monday September 21, 2009
It's about half way down the page.
So your definition is a "longing for god"?
I couldn't find anything on this subject on your link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,890 posts, read 18,602,501 times
Reputation: 8584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
So your definition is spiritual = afterlife.
So how can you feel or be spiritual without being dead?

Beliefs don't deserve respect. Name one other belief, other then religious belief, where people demand that you show respect?

I don't demand respect. I feel that respect should be given, even to irrational beliefs.

You don't have to respect anything, thats your business. However, my suggestion would be to to respect others views, but to disagree with those you find irrational.

To use a line from the bible, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." It fits very well here. I try not to be judgemental, of almost everything. I feel that Islam, Christianity, and Judaism all get things wrong, very wrong. However, when someone is adamant in their beliefs so be it.

When they lose my respect, is when they attack me for being an atheist, or when they cling to irrational beliefs so much, that they want to FORCE their views upon me. I may have irrational beliefs, most people do, but that doesn't give me the right to try and make others bend to my beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 AM
 
Location: NZ Wellington
2,782 posts, read 3,421,723 times
Reputation: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't demand respect. I feel that respect should be given, even to irrational beliefs.

You don't have to respect anything, thats your business. However, my suggestion would be to to respect others views, but to disagree with those you find irrational.

To use a line from the bible, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." It fits very well here. I try not to be judgemental, of almost everything. I feel that Islam, Christianity, and Judaism all get things wrong, very wrong. However, when someone is adamant in their beliefs so be it.

When they lose my respect, is when they attack me for being an atheist, or when they cling to irrational beliefs so much, that they want to FORCE their views upon me. I may have irrational beliefs, most people do, but that doesn't give me the right to try and make others bend to my beliefs.
Respecting beliefs, is the same as protecting them. Every belief should be question, no belief should be above criticism, or disrespect. Respect the person, not the belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top