Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

Lamplight wrote:
Quote:
Oh, and scarmig, I'm pretty far left but I don't have any problems with your gun ownership. Although I do know one guy who has quite an arsenal and I wouldn't trust him with a water gun. He's pretty much a well-armed time bomb just waiting to explode.
I can relate to that. I worked with a guy who was really into the militia thing and one year he spent his IRS refund which was two or three thousand dollars all on ammunition. Kinda scary. He also considered himself to be a Christian but it was based on a racist interpretation of Christianity which was very similar to some of the Nazi ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I can relate to that. I worked with a guy who was really into the militia thing and one year he spent his IRS refund which was two or three thousand dollars all on ammunition. Kinda scary. He also considered himself to be a Christian but it was based on a racist interpretation of Christianity which was very similar to some of the Nazi ideas.
This guy seems like he's about to snap all the time, no matter what the situation! I doubt he's much older than me (30) but I'm confident he'll have a heart attack before long. I've never met anyone so tense, stressed out, and just all-around crazy. Oh, and he's mind-numbingly racist, as if the rest weren't enough to make one nervous! If Christians ever do get their own country, they are more than welcome to him!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:02 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,078,843 times
When I look at the political scene in the USA, I see serious dischord.

Overall, society is liberalizing and we have entered the Obama era which is a milestone in our culture.

Yet we have a lot of hardcore Christians in the USA that are fighting it all the way. The recent tea parties are a perfect exampes of how the Christian Conservative side of America is not happy with the way things are going.

Instead of this dysfuntional two-party system, with Christians on one side, and liberals on the other, arguing constantly and never accomplishing anything. Why don't we just break up the country into seperate areas? We are definitely big enough to do it.

Something needs to change. The system in the US is grinding to a halt.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Don't we already have Salt Lake City?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
The atmosphere isn't great there, I hear.
Fit, form, function.. By Jove I think we have a match.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:17 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,792 times
I always thought Christians were to take the message of Christ to the nations. It seems like separation is diametrically opposed to the instructions of Christ. Also, who would decide the criteria for being a Christian? There are many professed Christians here in America who do not fit in with the right wing conservative variety.

Lastly, from about 325 AD to its fall Rome was a Christian state. That did not stop it from being deeply divided and politically corrupt. And much of the division was along Christian theological lines. So I am not sure a Christian state in America would be the answer.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
When I look at the political scene in the USA, I see serious dischord.

Overall, society is liberalizing and we have entered the Obama era which is a milestone in our culture.

Yet we have a lot of hardcore Christians in the USA that are fighting it all the way. The recent tea parties are a perfect exampes of how the Christian Conservative side of America is not happy with the way things are going.

Instead of this dysfuntional two-party system, with Christians on one side, and liberals on the other, arguing constantly and never accomplishing anything. Why don't we just break up the country into seperate areas? We are definitely big enough to do it.

Something needs to change. The system in the US is grinding to a halt.
Well, I agree with you that this country is being torn apart by the divisive nature of issues in the U.S. However, with an estimated 38,000 Christian denominations in the U.S., I am not sure that separating the country into Christian and non Christian persons would help. I also disagree with you that overall our society is getting more liberal, quite the opposite in my opinion. I'm also somewhat insulted that you imply liberals and Christians are on opposite sides. I am both liberal and Christian and there are more of us than you think.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The rapture can't get here soon enough.
It's too bad the rapture is pure nonsense.

The idea of rapture didn't even exist until a couple centuries ago.

I think people who believe in insane ideas like the rapture need to be in their own country with their own government seperate from us normal people.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:35 PM

I just think we should have areas where Moderator cut: deleted hardcore fundamentalist Christians can live with the bible as their law.

Perhaps the moderate Christians can have their own area too. Just seperate them from the rest of us.

The USA started out with the idea that each state would be very, very different and self-governing. But now the federal government has squashed that idea.

We need to get back to self-governing states, or seperate countries. The system is falling apart as it is economically, socially and communally the USA is turnng into a big mess. And I think seperatism and slf-governance on a smaller scale is the answer.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-24-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
So what kind of laws do you want to live under CaliforniaBear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality