Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:54 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well, jabogitlu, "sexually deviant" is not a bad word. It really sounds like one, but it isn't. Keep in mind that it also refers to those who engage in premarital sex. Heterosexual or not. I can honestly say that I am not anti-gay but anti-sin, so that would pretty much make me against myself, lol. Who am I to call out or judge someone because they're gay? What right do I have? I don't have that right is what I'm trying to say. I am a sinner just like everybody else. Even babies, lol.

You see these "Christians" loudly protesting homosexuality and I'm sitting here today telling you that they are wrong. It's Christians like them that have given us a bad rep in recent times. People look at us like we're these hateful, judging, holier-than-thou type of people and it makes us look bad. Really bad. But that's not who I am at all. That is not how the church is supposed and that is not how God wants us to be.

Now, for the sake of my reputation, I would ask that you wouldn't assume what type of person I am until you've given me a chance to speak my part.
Fair enough. Christian people and gay people have the same problem -- we're all hurriedly pigeonholed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 11:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Wow, religion and it's hypocrisy never fails to amaze me.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-te.hatecrimes04may04,0,6618367.story?coll=bal-nationworld-headlines (broken link)
This is off topic to this thread but I just had to say something:

The world and its hypocrisy amazes me too. There's hypocrisy everywhere.
Don't judge all religion or Christianity because of a few ignorant, over zealous religious leaders.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:58 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Can we please get back to the topic at hand? Stay on thread please.

HG

Old 05-04-2007, 01:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
How do Gay people want to be viewed by Christians?

The ones who follow Christ want to be viewed as Christians.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:07 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,918 times
Well I want to be viewed as a normal heterosexual couple would.

Of course this is not possible because loving another man and then expressing that love is seen as sinful.

I could give you a dollar for all the times heterosexual couples express intimacy or have sex not with the purpose of procreation. I would be a billionaire. Its sheer hypocrisy to not allow gays the same kind of intimacy with their partners.

These laws were written 2000 years ago and they are antiquated and intended to be harsh in that period of society. God does not accept intolerance of others and he has allowed different movements to successfully enter throughout the course of history. He allowed for Civil Rights. He allowed for women the right to vote and he is going to let gays marry and serve some day in the military.

The marriage will not be consecrated as a religious union and should not be. The Bible defines clearly marriage between a man and a woman. However men and men, woman and woman can enjoy the same rights and privileges as everyone else. After all we are just as normal as you are, just born a different way. And we don't apologize, we enjoy being gay or at least I do

Old 05-04-2007, 03:27 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Can we please get back to the topic at hand? Stay on thread please.
HG
Hoosier_guy, I noticed that you didn't answer my question, on the first page. I don't know if you didn't see it, or just didn't want to answer it, (which it fine), or if possibly, I offended you in some way. If I did, please accept my apology, as such was not my intention. I just wanted your own input, on this issue, if you felt like sharing it.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Hoosier_guy, I noticed that you didn't answer my question, on the first page. I don't know if you didn't see it, or just didn't want to answer it, (which it fine), or if possibly, I offended you in some way. If I did, please accept my apology, as such was not my intention. I just wanted your own input, on this issue, if you felt like sharing it.

Most definitely yes. I will answer your question, however it will have to be later this evening when the kiddos are in bed. But I will definitely answer!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:09 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Most definitely yes. I will answer your question, however it will have to be later this evening when the kiddos are in bed. But I will definitely answer!
I'll be looking forward to it! But right now, I'd better get ready. I have a t-ball game to go to. Two of my grandsons are playing. Best not miss it!

Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Interesting question, Hoosier_guy. Since, by some of your other posts, we know that you were once gay, I'd be curious, how would you answer that question yourself? You have been on both sides of the fence, so to speak. When you were practicing the lifestyle, (for lack of a better way to put it, since there is so much disagreement, as to whether it is a choice, or not), how would you have liked Christians to approach you? How did they treat you, during that time in your life, and what would you have changed, about them? What would you have told those Christians, about how they should have interacted with you? Personally, I've not known anyone who was once gay, and is now a born-again Christian, so I am curious, if you don't mind answering.
This is a very difficult thing for me to answer because even though I dealt with desires to be with guys since I was a teenager, I actually walked away from my life as a born-again believer to live in the gay lifestyle. I had already accepted Christ into my heart, but couldn't handle having feelings for guys, and my faith. Even while in the gay lifestyle I believed what I was doing was wrong, but I didn't want to deny what I wanted physically.

How would I have liked Christians to approach me:
With love, acceptance as a person and not for my sexual identity choice (don't look at me as a gay guy, look at me as a person) and respect. I was still a person and even though my choices differed greatly from others, it didn't mean it was okay to treat me badly.

How did Christian treat me during that time of my life?

My uncle was an absolutely amazing man. He had so much love for me and was genuinely concerned about me. He was concerned spiritually for me and focused on my walk with the Lord. He was not judgemental...he shared the truth in love and I so respected that. His words cut to the depths of my soul, and I knew in my heart God was trying to get my attention. This uncle was the one who shared the gospel message with me when I was 17.

I had some old friends who had married one another and living in Nebraska (I was in Indiana). They told me they could no longer be my friend because of my lifestyle choice. I was sinning against God and must have never really been a true Christian to begin with.

I met a girl at IUPUI in Indianapolis. She was in my English class. She knew my story and really tried to make a difference in my life. She did. Her compassion and acceptance of me as a person helped me to begin loving myself again. I would rank her up there right next to my uncle. I only knew her for a few months, but she has made such an impact in my life, even 16 years later! One person CAN make a difference.

What would I have changed about Christians?

The judgemental gay bashing, you're a sinner going to hell and I'm so better than you. You have to attend MY church and if you do then you'll be back on the right track.

Having people know your true sexual orientation is taboo, forbidden and grounds for losing your friends. Trust me, I lost many people in my life because of my choices. But I also had many people stay in my life...and the ones who were the least likely in my book--namely my parents.

What would I have told them about how they should have interacted with me?

To love me and know that I could take care of myself and get through what I was going through. I did have some fantastic friends that were with me for those years of my life. As I'm reflecting on what I've written here it may come across like I was dealing with a sickness. Please understand that I don't see it that way. However I was dealing with some serious emotional issues and couldn't figure out what to do.

During this time I met with psychics, counselors and others to try and get some insight on who I was and what I should do. I remember the counselor telling me to give up my faith because it was holding me back. Accept who you are and move on in life. She dropped me as a client because I would not heed her advice. My religious convictions were who I was and I couldn't simply give them up. I also didn't believe I could be a true Christian AND gay at the same time because I wholeheartedly believed being gay was against God's will for anyone's life.

You sure have made me reflect on some very painful areas of my past. The feelings that I've shared here make me cry. I remember a very broken, confused and suicidal person at that time of my life. I'm thankful God pulled me through that time and I am who I am today.

It's like you look back at a time in your life and say, "how on earth did I survive all that time of my life?" I was a mess! I was depressed, got a DUI, did some things I won't mention here, but one thing I'm proud of is that I never got involved in drugs...except excessive alcohol (which is definitely a legal drug...and quite possibly another thread, eh?) Oh, I'm remembering much more now and it's after I moved from Indiana to Colorado to get my life in order. Believe me...changing places isn't always the option either. I got into relationships out there too.

Please feel free to ask for clarification on anything, or send me a private message. Thanks for asking me this question. You truly are awesome Irishmom!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
It's like you look back at a time in your life and say, "how on earth did I survive all that time of my life?"
The events of our lives may be different but I think we may have more in common then you could possibly imagine! You're pretty awesome for being so open with your experience. I think you will make a great youth speaker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality