Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,737 times

Advertisements

awe.. poo poo with the comment that lots of ky is white trash,only trash could possibly make such an offensive comment dont ya think? Good Luck with a better attitude toward all people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 02:35 AM

246 posts, read 649,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildebi View Post
awe.. poo poo with the comment that lots of ky is white trash,only trash could possibly make such an offensive comment dont ya think? Good Luck with a better attitude toward all people.
Did you bring your pooper scooper?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 AM

111 posts, read 596,109 times
Speaking in Tongues is one of the many gifts given to believers who ask for is by the Holy Spirit... It's just as relevant today as reading the bible.

Christianity is supernatural, not just natural, so all Christians all over the globe should accept this gift with open arms.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,198 times
I am not Christian, but I believe it is totally possible to speak in tongues...I believe anything is possible

Old 05-14-2007, 02:56 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Question It's a personal choice

This is a subject that I'm just not clear about. I have been around people speaking in tongues all during my life. It used to scare the dickens out of me, but now I say.....if it makes your walk with Jesus closer and more personal, then go for it! I believe it may be a gift that only a certain few receive. And then there are those who fake it for attention in church. Here's how it's been explained to me - it is not legitimate and from the Holy Spirit unless there is someone else in the room who is also in the Spirit to interpret what the person speaking in tongues is saying.

I was raised pretty much Pentacostal with a little Baptist and Methodist thrown in the mix, so I've seen it all. People running around the entire church screaming, little girls twirling around on one foot at the alter the entire service with their eyes closed or rolled back in their heads, etc. That to me, ain't so real. More dramatics that make the services 3 or 4 hours long. (no kidding) But I'm not going to say that these people aren't experiencing something from God...that's not my call. That's why it's a personal thing. I said one word in tongues when I was maybe 7 - that's it.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
Hi

I've resolved that I just can't understand everything with my human mind and one day the Lord will reveal all the answers to us who really want to know the mysteries. And that's the thing, do we really want to search out truth or are we making issues out of things that we simply fear or plainly do not understand? To limit God because of fear or ignorance is as dangerous as flying by emotions - if not more.

Very nice post, GausJams. It is a personal thing and if it happened to me I WOULD welcome it with open arms, like someone said.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybell View Post
I have the gift of speaking in tongues since 1984. It really is a gift from God. I love to sing to Him in the spirit in my personal prayer time. My spirit is speaking to God's spirit and the devil doesn't know what I am saying. I think that drives him crazy. Heh heh! Any way, one night as I was praying in tongues over my grandson (he was about 4 or 5 years old at the time) he looked at me and said "Grandma do you speak spanish?" I thought this would lighten things up a bit.
Lol...very cute!

Old 05-18-2007, 11:39 AM

246 posts, read 649,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Very nice post, GausJams. It is a personal thing and if it happened to me I WOULD welcome it with open arms, like someone said.
That's a great attitude. You are right, it is a personal thing Gosh, the Lord is probably grinning from ear to ear, right now. It's one thing to not know something or have experienced it - it's another to flat out deny it. Your heart is surely on the right track An open heart is the best kind

Thanks for the compliment, but it's the Holy Spirit who get the credit. I feel the annointing and just write with the flow

Old 05-28-2007, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
Did you bring your pooper scooper?
the one that spreads the poo poo bringeth their own scopper or walks in it as they live in it

Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Default Pray for wisdom...

Just an opinion, and an observation:
Tongues is EXACTLY what the Bible says it is...then, and now (Pentacost, and today) (get a Bible and read EVERYTHING it says about tongues)
I believe it exists and is for today. That said, at times when I am around other Christians who are speaking in "tongues", I get a distinct impression that they are just mouthing "gibberish", that whatever it is they have, is not real, but something of their own creation. Of course, I say nothing, because to express any doubt about their "gift" would be like unforgivable heresy....were taught that we are supposed to either agree totally 100%, and believe that what they have is for real, to go along with it and support that belief, or disagree...to take up "sides", 'cuz there is no "grey" area. Well...I have to disagree, because I think there really is a huge grey area...that there are those with the real gift, and that there are those with an imagination...who think they have something, but don't. Just my private thought. (ok, so maybe I'm wrong).
And yes, I do "pray" in tongues, but I didn't ask for it. When I first got it (about 40 yrs ago), I was a new Christian, and had NEVER HEARD of tongues, and never heard of the "baptism", etc. (how could I ask for something I never heard of?) I remember I was in prayer to God, and all of a sudden I could sing in tongues. (I don't remember what I prayed for...that was a LONG time ago!) I do remember the profound PEACE that accompanied the experience...that seemed to extend outwards for hundreds of yards in all directions. I didn't know what it might be for another few years, until I heard the teaching about tongues in a church. I won't argue with anybody: I don't claim that it is tongues, or anything else...remember: I didn't ask for it. I'm just telling you I can do it. I don't even claim that what I have is the real thing...after all, maybe it is MY imagination. (?) But I like it...singing in tongues...there is a peculiar peace about it.
Also, I have heard (more than once) cases where somebody spoke in tongues, and a foreigner in the audience would say that it was in their foriegn language, speaking about God. (I'm talking about TODAY, not back in Pentacost...)

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality