Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:50 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times

Advertisements

Wow, you know, as an atheist and an evolutionist I don't know how I feel about this. I think the reasoning behind it is for a good cause but I wonder what kind of flak this will bring from the religious side. It is a unique situation.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 12:05 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Wow, you know, as an atheist and an evolutionist I don't know how I feel about this. I think the reasoning behind it is for a good cause but I wonder what kind of flak this will bring from the religious side. It is a unique situation.

Ok even though I do animal rescue...this is just crazy...LOL Why can't they go to a zoo? Or another well established primate santcuary? Religious or not these people are being silly.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:10 AM

Yeah, like I said, even though I believe in evolution I am not sure if a chimp can quite yet qualify as a human. But, on the other hand, I look at chimps and can't help but notice some of the most humanistic features about them.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:12 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Yeah, like I said, even though I believe in evolution I am not sure if a chimp can quite yet qualify as a human. But, on the other hand, I look at chimps and can't help but notice some of the most humanistic features about them.
Oh there's no doubt that we some how evolved from primates...just have to wait until they finish the research to prove it.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:02 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Well, I agree that primates aren't "things," but are they human?

I can just see the religious right crying foul. But it does raise an interesting question, and the first time it can ever LOGICALLY be asked - could we marry chimps?

Perhaps a third legal recognition should be set aside, but then again, who do we let in? Butterflies deserve the same protections as chimps, surely.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:02 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:

I say let's do it. Let's call this chimp a person.

It is, right? It's my cousin, right?

If---

human=animal, then
animal=human, right?

You wanted to know what the religious folks would say...I'd say let's do it.

What better way to prove what we've been saying for so long?

These debates and arguments we have here on CD have natural, logical progressions to their end...here's a perfect example of that.

Great article.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I say let's do it. Let's call this chimp a person.

It is, right? It's my cousin, right?

If---

human=animal, then
animal=human, right?

You wanted to know what the religious folks would say...I'd say let's do it.

What better way to prove what we've been saying for so long?

These debates and arguments we have here on CD have natural, logical progressions to their end...here's a perfect example of that.

Great article.
The problem is that we as humans obviously know that chimps are not men. Their course of natural selection led them to what they are today. And although we are close relatives in terms of DNA we are not the same as chimps. What a lot of the religious right doesn't understand is the fact that millions of years ago a chimp wasn't a chimp either. They don't think chimps have done anything to evolve either. They look at a primate in the zoo and say, "Let me get this right, one day a primate gave birth and BLAMMO here's a human?" It is just not so. Millions of years ago the chimp's ancestors probably had the same differences that early hominid man had from us. Even though they were similar they still WERE different. So, no Alpha to answer your response it would not be a good idea to indoctrinate this chimp as a person because it would give the believers a perfect excuse to say "See I told you so!"

Old 05-05-2007, 08:56 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,787 times
Yes, absolutely ridiculous. This is the makings of PETA and the crazy liberals. It makes 0 sense and really is an affront to mankind. Where do these people come up with this trash?

Old 05-05-2007, 08:57 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I think the activists are making themselves look foolish by taking this point of view. It's true that we're very closely related to chimps but they clearly don't have the intellectual abilities of human beings and genetically, which is the most important in my opinion, they are also not human. I think I heard something the other day where some animal rights group wants to start referring to male and female animals as Mr or Ms or something along those lines to give them more importantance or whatever. This is downright laughable and all of this nonsense works to the detriment of these causes by making them look foolish.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:21 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,467 times
I believe that some evolution could have occured but God is the force behind all of it. That said apes may share 99.4% of our DNA but they don't share our God given intelligence (and no I am not saying apes are not intelligent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality