Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,218,540 times

Advertisements

Sam Harris makes an interesting point in his latest book. If God is the divine, and orchestrates humanity and nature, how can we explain the tens of millions of miscarriages that happen every year? Wouldn't this make God the most prolific abortionist in the history of mankind?

Its not my point, but I think its an interesting one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 07:24 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,843,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Sam Harris makes an interesting point in his latest book. If God is the divine, and orchestrates humanity and nature, how can we explain the tens of millions of miscarriages that happen every year? Wouldn't this make God the most prolific abortionist in the history of mankind?

Its not my point, but I think its an interesting one...
I'd question the entire book if the author doesn't see the difference in natural occurances vs. man-made.

And, correct if me if I'm wrong, but don't miscarriages happen AFTER the baby passes and an abortion CAUSES the baby to pass???

Also, have you read that book?? Cause I may have some other questions for you...

Old 05-05-2007, 07:36 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,218,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'd question the entire book if the author doesn't see the difference in natural occurances vs. man-made.

And, correct if me if I'm wrong, but don't miscarriages happen AFTER the baby passes and an abortion CAUSES the baby to pass???

Also, have you read that book?? Cause I may have some other questions for you...
Yes I have read both his books. A miscarriage can also be defined as a spontaneous abortion.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,182,834 times
There is a huge difference. God is the creator of mankind and can do what He wants. Does He need our permission to do something? Hardly. I believe Alpha said it correctly there is a difference between the natural and something man induces.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:54 AM

7,497 posts, read 17,098,186 times
Gleeps, I guess we better not receive blood tranfusions, polio vaccines or take hypertension medicine then.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:22 AM

646 posts, read 1,607,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
There is a huge difference. God is the creator of mankind and can do what He wants.
So god is exempt from morality? Can he do something, and just by the virtue that it is god that did it, the action becomes inherently good?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
So god is exempt from morality? Can he do something, and just by the virtue that it is god that did it, the action becomes inherently good?
God is the source of all morality and good.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
God is the source of all morality and good.
You are avoiding my question. If god performs a certain action that we would normally define as evil, what is the moral value of that action? Is it good because god did it, or is it evil because it is a bad thing?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
You are avoiding my question. If god performs a certain action that we would normally define as evil, what is the moral value of that action? Is it good because god did it, or is it evil because it is a bad thing?
No, I'm not. God does not do anything evil. Your attempting to lay that charge at His feet (which is dangerous) those that dislike Him will attempt to slander Him. You may perceive something He has done as evil, but that's your thinking not His.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:37 AM

Ok. So you will avoid the question rather than concede the fact that the bible is inconsistent.

Let me try a more concrete question. God created all. God created the devil. God let the devil loose upon creation to do evil things, including tempting people away from god.

Doesn't that make god complicit in this evil? He could have not created the devil, or not let him loose, or stripped him of his power. Yet he did none of these things, and from a christian perspective, evil occured.

Can you tell me how any of these actions by god are good?

So as to not stray too far from the OP, I think that this is simply another analogy. Can god allow things to happen (abortions) that are ok when he does it, but not ok when man does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality