Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,879,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarhill View Post
I need to say something as well... All of the mormons that have posted in this thread and those that are just reading, I love you all in Jesus Name. My frustration is not with you personally but comes from the misleading LDS has done in the world and continues to propagate. Praise God, I have never been a mormon but I have know very close friends and have a couple of family members that have been sucked into LDS. I have seen the damage it can cause first hand. Like urban, I pray for each of you that the Holy Spirit will open your eyes to the truth like He did urban and also one of my best friends that is now a pastor, praise the Lord Jesus! I encourage Christians to compare everything they here from their baptist pastor against the Word of God. I am a follower of Christ first and a baptist second! Being baptist doesn't get me or anyone else any closer to God or save anyones soul.
That's a good honest post right there. Well said tarhill. I personally don't have any family, friends (besides here), or know any Mormons. I guess when you add a personal element (like wildberries' experince), it would change the way you act and react to certain circumstances.

Thanks for your words and your prayers. We all need them.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,114,723 times
From what I found during my time in the mormon church, the rank in actual importance went something like this: first, the prophet because He was the one who was to receive revelation from god and lead the church; second, the quorum of the twelve; third, the Book of Mormon and it's accompanying texts; and then the Bible because they believe in it as far as it is correctly translated. The texts were sort of historical reminders and lessons of what once was a time and what transpired to make the church what it was. Whether it is that way now, I do not know but at the time, this is what I remember.

Also, at the time, I never felt a communion with the Lord. He was who He was but I never felt He had an active role in my life. The church, the leaders, the roles we had were more important than a relationship with the Lord. I was actually told by my bishop that God plays a non-participatory role in the LDS life. I do not know if that was just him but I knew other members of the church who told me the same thing and they had been in the church longer than I had been. He said we were to pray to Him but that He played an inactive part in our lives because He wanted us to make our own choices and see how they played out. However, I never felt the presence of the Holy Spirit leading and guiding me which concerned me. I also waited for the "burning of the bosom" which never really came to me.

Some may comment that since I never felt the "burning" or that because I encountered difficult that I may not have been a truly commited mormon. I was about as commited as I could be but my feeling is that God had a different plan for me...His plan.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
From what I found during my time in the mormon church, the rank in actual importance went something like this: first, the prophet because He was the one who was to receive revelation from god and lead the church; second, the quorum of the twelve; third, the Book of Mormon and it's accompanying texts; and then the Bible because they believe in it as far as it is correctly translated.
LDSers, in your opinion, is this currently accurate?

Does the Church of the LDS hold the prophet up higher than the written Word?

I also find it peculiar that Christ was left out of that list. May be biased, but just an observation.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:28 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,140,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Also, I asked either here or on the other thread....You guys keep talking about or at least eluding to an opportunity to learn or accept something AFTER death. Can you give me the theology and the scripture to support that line of thought?
Yes we believe that when one dies their sprit goes to either spirit paradise or spirit prison (sounds like a bad place but really its not). It is in spirit prison that those who have not had a chance to hear the fullness of the gospel will have a chance to accept or reject it.

1 Pet. 3: 19
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

1 Pet. 4: 6
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:32 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,114,723 times
I also find it peculiar that Christ was left out of that list. May be biased, but just an observation.

I wrote the list based on the assumption that everyone knew that god was first and then ranking began with the physical church. Sorry if I misled anyone.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Yes we believe that when one dies their sprit goes to either spirit paradise or spirit prison (sounds like a bad place but really its not). It is in spirit prison that those who have not had a chance to hear the fullness of the gospel will have a chance to accept or reject it.

1 Pet. 3: 19
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

1 Pet. 4: 6
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
Well that's certainly not my interpretation of those verses, but in all fairness, if I'm not mistaken, that's one of those passages few agree on.

I'm still boggled on earthly short-comings if everybody get a 'do-over' after death to see if they get Heaven, better Heaven, or best Heaven. But again, I don't mean that as a slam...I think we've already touched on that earleir here or on the other thread. (BTW dream, are you having a better day today than yesteday...are you staying away from those bad threads? )

Old 05-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
LDSers, in your opinion, is this currently accurate?

Does the Church of the LDS hold the prophet up higher than the written Word?

I don't think you can really put a rank of importance on things in the church. Maybe another member can say something more intellectual (where's Sergeant ). Jesus Christ is the cornerstone of our religion and without Him there would be nothing. Without Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice and His glorious ressurection everyone on this earth would be damned.
The Bible and the BOM are the word of God. The living prophet that we have today is entitled to revelation from God so yes, we believe when he is speaking from the pulpit it is God's word today. But make it clear we absolutely do not put him above Christ. He is a fallible man (albeit a very righteous man) and it is only when he is speaking at the pulpit that it is absolutely certain for us it is God's will.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
The living prophet that we have today is entitled to revelation from God so yes, we believe when he is speaking from the pulpit it is God's word today. But make it clear we absolutely do not put him above Christ. He is a fallible man (albeit a very righteous man) and it is only when he is speaking at the pulpit that it is absolutely certain for us it is God's will.
So in theory, could the prophet's words be recorded and in another 100 years be 'new' scripture?

Old 05-11-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
So in theory, could the prophet's words be recorded and in another 100 years be 'new' scripture?
Yes I believe so.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Yes I believe so.
For the record, I have a problem with that. But I understand it's what you believe. I'm just "going on record".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality