Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 03:53 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm still boggled on earthly short-comings if everybody get a 'do-over' after death to see if they get Heaven, better Heaven, or best Heaven. But again, I don't mean that as a slam...I think we've already touched on that earleir here or on the other thread. (BTW dream, are you having a better day today than yesteday...are you staying away from those bad threads? )
I understand your confusion. I myself have thought a lot about this and I don't think we will fully understand many things in this life.
I don't think it's as simple as a "do over". It may seem like that but I believe without a physical body so many things will be exponentially more difficult than in this life. Also like we have mentioned before, one will be accountable for what they know. If someone is taught about the church, believes it to be true; how can you not try your best to live it?

Old 05-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
For the record, I have a problem with that. But I understand it's what you believe. I'm just "going on record".
I know.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
(BTW dream, are you having a better day today than yesteday...are you staying away from those bad threads? )
Ya thanks for your concern. It can get kinda overwhelming here in the Religion Forum. It is interesting though.....guess that's what keeps me coming back!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:37 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
From what I found during my time in the mormon church, the rank in actual importance went something like this: first, the prophet because He was the one who was to receive revelation from god and lead the church; second, the quorum of the twelve; third, the Book of Mormon and it's accompanying texts; and then the Bible because they believe in it as far as it is correctly translated. The texts were sort of historical reminders and lessons of what once was a time and what transpired to make the church what it was. Whether it is that way now, I do not know but at the time, this is what I remember.

Also, at the time, I never felt a communion with the Lord. He was who He was but I never felt He had an active role in my life. The church, the leaders, the roles we had were more important than a relationship with the Lord. I was actually told by my bishop that God plays a non-participatory role in the LDS life. I do not know if that was just him but I knew other members of the church who told me the same thing and they had been in the church longer than I had been. He said we were to pray to Him but that He played an inactive part in our lives because He wanted us to make our own choices and see how they played out. However, I never felt the presence of the Holy Spirit leading and guiding me which concerned me. I also waited for the "burning of the bosom" which never really came to me.

Some may comment that since I never felt the "burning" or that because I encountered difficult that I may not have been a truly commited mormon. I was about as commited as I could be but my feeling is that God had a different plan for me...His plan.
I need to make a quick comment here. We believe the Book of Mormon is the cornerstone of our faith, but it is NOT more important than the Bible. All scripture is given equal time in doctrinal teachings.

Urban, what I think your Bishop meant was that God does not interfere unless it is for his purpose. He has an active interest in the Church, but MUCH more importantly, you as His child have His undivided attention. He knows us all personally, and He is absolutely aware of everything we do and think. Our lives and the Church are NOT under a laze faire system. Yes, he will let you fall on your face as a means of learning. He has given us free agency and expects us to use it.

The burning bosom is rare. I have never had a burning bosom experience, yet I have heard the still small voice of the Spirit prompting me. I don't lose any sleep over never having experienced a burning in my bosom. I do on occasion have burning feet.

Last edited by SergeantL; 05-11-2007 at 05:19 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 04:37 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,711 times
I read any interesting commentary regarding the verses listed in 1 Peter 3:19 and 4:6. Because of the reference to the time of Noah in verse 3:19, Genesis 6 records the presence of fallen/evil angels who were cast into spirit prison. The most widely held view is that Christ descended to this prison to confirm His victory over death and claim His forthcoming resurrection.

The reason the view referring to the dead in spirit prison getting taught doctrine and being given a second chance is because after this life, there are no second chances. God gave us the option to accept or decline His gift of salvation here and now. Once you die, the option is forfeited. Hope that helps.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:42 PM

I need to make a quick comment here. We believe the Book of Mormon is the cornerstone of our faith, but it is NOT more important than the Bible. All scripture is given equal time in doctrinal teachings.

And yet you believe the Bible only as far as it is translated correctly. That lends itself to a pick and choose scenario that works at the time a verse is need if it fits. I will agree that there may be very minor differences between the orginal Hebrew and Greek but it is relegated to very minor typographical errors and does not affect the content of the message. God's Word is still infallible and does not need correction.

I do on occasion have burning feet. I get that on occasion too....ouch!!! And I wear white socks too!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:45 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
I read any interesting commentary regarding the verses listed in 1 Peter 3:19 and 4:6. Because of the reference to the time of Noah in verse 3:19, Genesis 6 records the presence of fallen/evil angels who were cast into spirit prison. The most widely held view is that Christ descended to this prison to confirm His victory over death and claim His forthcoming resurrection.

The reason the view referring to the dead in spirit prison getting taught doctrine and being given a second chance is because after this life, there are no second chances. God gave us the option to accept or decline His gift of salvation here and now. Once you die, the option is forfeited. Hope that helps.
I don't know where you read what you read, but that's been kinda my take too.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:51 PM

I think the mention of the evil angels/spirits makes it confusing. I took a hermeneutics class at church and it was the best class I have had although the others have been great too. They taught us how to really study the Bible by understanding the history, the political/social climate at the time of the writing, the makeup of the writer and who they were, reading a verse, then reading it in the context of the paragraph and so on until you get the larger picture in the context of the chapter and then the entire book.

I recommend anyone of any faith to take a class like that...it will certainly help in scriptural studies.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
God's Word is still infallible and does not need correction.
Yes God's word is infallible but man's translation is not.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Yes God's word is infallible but man's translation is not.

Perhaps, but it still does not negate the validity and message contained therein. God's Word is still intact, regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality