Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Not to be disrespectful dreameyes but it's actually the DEEPER beliefs of the faith that can get strange. Have you ever really researched the Mormon church outside of the church.
That could be a slippery slope. A lot of misinformation, intentional and unintentional is out there.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:29 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,882,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I know you asked for Baptist but there is very little difference between the AOG and Baptist. I did go to a baptist church after I left the mormon church though....does that count?
Yes absolutely. I wasn't asking sarcastically. I just didn't see it earlier. Thanks for all the great input and by all mean, continue!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:02 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,456 times
That's ok Alpha8207, my statement was meant as a means to lighten up the thread a little as these kinds of discussions can get heated over time.

Although we have touched a little bit on the question that was asked by Ilovefall, we have more or less danced around the issue and with good reason. Christians and mormons have debated this for years because the mormon church for much of it's existence distanced itself from all the other churches and the long standing protestant churches wanted nothing to do with the mormon doctrine. It has only been a recent development that they are now wanting to be regarded as a christian church like the others.

A superficial reading of mormon doctrine reveals a belief that looks similar to protestant doctrine in a lot of ways. They believe in God, the Son and the Holy Spirit; they believe that God created the world; they believe that Adam and Eve were the first humans on the earth and they believe that we will go to heaven if we follow Christ. However, if you read my post on page two, you will see that there are major differences in who God, the Son and the Holy Spirit really are according to the mormon and protestant doctrine.

Protestants also believe that when we die and go to be with the Lord, we will be all together in heaven and will reign with Him on the New Earth that He will create. We will have a ressurected, glorified body and will be like the angels as there will be no marriage in heaven because it will not be necessary there. Mormons believe that there are three levels in heaven, the terrestrial, or earthlike state; the telestial or a kind of middle existence between the earth and the heavenly states; and finally the celestial kingdom where those who faithfully followed church doctrine and married in the temple will reign with Christ. They will be with their spouses, children again and have celestial children for all eternity. It sounds wonderful but that is not what the Bible says.

My best advice is for those who really want to learn more is to read. Go to the LDS site online and read what they say. It will provide a good overview of their doctrines. Afterward, go and read about the Baptists, the Lutherans, the Evangelicals. You will find there are some minor differences in the way they conduct services and worship but the underlying force that drives the church and does not change with any of them is Jesus Christ. He is the Rock and support of our faith.

I posted this information not to upset anyone or make anyone angry. I merely posted this to outline some of the differences between the mormon church and the protestant church. Although the two will never co-mingle doctrine, it is my hope that we can still have meaningful dialogue with one another without malice or anger. Jesus taught us to love one another even when we disagree. God bless you all.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Not to be disrespectful dreameyes but it's actually the DEEPER beliefs of the faith that can get strange. Have you ever really researched the Mormon church outside of the church. Even with this you must be careful they don't take to kindly to people examining the Temple, look around on the outside and ask your self why would they put that there!!
The only reason I brought this up is I used to attend the Mormon church and I have many questions that they were not willing to answer with confidence!!
I am quite familiar will all aspects of the Temple and no I don't go looking outside of talking with my husband because usually other literature outside of the church has a negative slant on it. I did when I first joined the church get into reading a little anti stuff and it disturbed me. I talked to my husband who is very knowledgable about things pertaining to the church and he explained everything to me and will explain any of my concerns or questions.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Mormons believe that there are three levels in heaven, the terrestrial or earthlike state; the telestial or a kind of middle existence between the earth and the heavenly states; and finally the celestial kingdom where those who faithfully followed church doctrine and married in the temple will reign with Christ. They will be with their spouses, children again and have celestial children for all eternity. It sounds wonderful but that is not what the Bible says.
You are in the ballpark, but let's first talk about what I highlighted above.

First, one must understand a central point to the LDS faith. Latter Day Saints believe the Bible has omissions and errors due in some part to translation and interpretation over the years. In fact we state we believe in the Bible in so far as it is translated correctly. In short, we believe some portions of the original text are mistranslated or missing. Now before anyone freaks, it is common knowledge there were more books in the original text of the Bible; in fact there was an hour long program on this very topic on the Learning Channel in the last six months.

Now, even though we believe there are errors and omissions, there are still some indicators that point to our beliefs, and the one regarding the three degrees of glory is found in 1 Corinthians 15:39-40. There is another hint regarding the third heaven in 2 Corinthians 12:2. Of course, our latter day canon expands and explains these references fully to us, but I don’t believe their use here would be appropriate.

So, as one can see, stating the three degrees of heaven are not found in the Bible is not completely accurate.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:30 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,456 times
Actually, I never said that the Bible does not mention the three degrees of heaven, I just stated that the Bible does not describe them as the LDS doctrine does.

If we examine the scriptures you listed, we find that, according to scholarly translations that the first heaven is actually the earthly atmosphere, the second heaven is the realm of the universe and the third heaven is the unseen location of where God the Father resides according to Nehemiah 9:6. Think about this: we often refer to the stars and galaxies as the heavens and the objects we see as heavenly objects. This is what Paul experienced in the passages you mentioned: he passed through the levels or degrees of all the Father created to where the place where the Father resides.

I hope this helps to explain how others view this passage.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 AM

259 posts, read 1,181,722 times
Wow, so Greek and Hebrew scriptures that we have dozens and dozens of scrolls from different centuries that pretty much agree with each other, cannot be trusted.
But 3 books written by a guy who supposedly found some ancient "plates" buried in upstate New York, and who dictated his "revelation" from behind a curtain to be written down by someone else, CAN be trusted??? Where are these plates that Joseph Smith's "revelation" came from?? Wouldnt the LDS church want to preserve them, if they actually existed?

And to make things stranger, the belief in reincarnation, salvation being redefined as reincarnating and elevating one's self to Godhood thru many lifetimes, marriage being the key to procreating new Gods, baptizing the dead.
All of this flys in the face of Christianity. And to proclaim that the LDS church is superior or has the "fullness of the gospel" and others dont because they don't subscribe to these extrabiblical doctrines that contradict the Bible reeks of cult-like seperation tactics.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
And to make things stranger, the belief in reincarnation, salvation being redefined as reincarnating and elevating one's self to Godhood thru many lifetimes,
There is no such LDS belief in reincarnation. We have but one mortal life and then of course the eternal afterlife, as any Christian religion teaches.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
Wow, so Greek and Hebrew scriptures that we have dozens and dozens of scrolls from different centuries that pretty much agree with each other, cannot be trusted.
But 3 books written by a guy who supposedly found some ancient "plates" buried in upstate New York, and who dictated his "revelation" from behind a curtain to be written down by someone else, CAN be trusted??? Where are these plates that Joseph Smith's "revelation" came from?? Wouldnt the LDS church want to preserve them, if they actually existed?

And to make things stranger, the belief in reincarnation, salvation being redefined as reincarnating and elevating one's self to Godhood thru many lifetimes, marriage being the key to procreating new Gods, baptizing the dead.
All of this flys in the face of Christianity. And to proclaim that the LDS church is superior or has the "fullness of the gospel" and others dont because they don't subscribe to these extrabiblical doctrines that contradict the Bible reeks of cult-like seperation tactics.
Help me out here. Was this thread established as a basis of criticism or was it established to explain the differences between Baptist beliefs and Mormon beliefs.

Reincarnation??? I have never heard of the Mormons believing in reincarnation.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:47 PM

190 posts, read 686,263 times
Thanks everybody, I sure am learning a lot from everyone's input. There is so much I don't know so I really appreciate everyone's views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.