Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:33 PM

14 posts, read 14,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Orthodox Jews too wear special clothing to remind them of God and His commandments and covenants. Perhaps some other religions and maybe some mystical groups do too.
That's right. Believers of many kinds wear funny costumes.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,505,241 times
Quote:
There is only one way to know if the Book of Mormon is the word of God, and that is to read it......take care.
Well, I be doing that right now, and I must say, there be lots of stuff that raises questions. If the answer is, don't question, I got me a problem.

Here is a fundamental first question. The language used on the plates is reported to be, reformed Egyptian. Who said? Who reformed it? and why is there no other use of this language anywhere in history? The proto Mormons were Jews, Jews were literate, Jews wrote in Hebrew.

Seriously, what is the story here?

Oh and to answer the question that whats his name didn't think he could answer succintly, I done got the answer.
Where was Bountiful? Khor Rori, Oman.

Dad gum easy.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,369,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Well, I be doing that right now, and I must say, there be lots of stuff that raises questions. If the answer is, don't question, I got me a problem.

Here is a fundamental first question. The language used on the plates is reported to be, reformed Egyptian. Who said? Who reformed it? and why is there no other use of this language anywhere in history? The proto Mormons were Jews, Jews were literate, Jews wrote in Hebrew.

Seriously, what is the story here?
I think I already responded to this with a quote from the Book of Mormon where one of the prophets answers your question. But if I recall correctly without taking the time to look at earlier posts, you replied that you didn't want a quote from the book or a link to anywhere where you'd find additional information!

But in brief, the prophets said that they would have written in Hebrew had there been room on their plates, but Egyptian (which they had altered) worked better for writing extensively on the type and size of plates they had. In any event, they knew that the Lord would provide means for the translation of the plates in the latter days.

As far as "history" is concerned, the language was probably peculiar to the Nephite recorders and their time and place. Another group of Hebrews was led to the Americas about the same time as Lehi and his party. The two groups did not encounter each other until hundreds of years later and by then the Mulekites (who had not taken records with them from Jerusalem) were illiterate and needed to be taught by the Nephites who had the "plates of brass" from Jerusalem.

But you would have known that had you taken the time to read the book first before getting hung up on questions that have little if any relevance to most people.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,369,195 times
Quote:
Oh and to answer the question that whats his name didn't think he could answer succintly, I done got the answer.
Where was Bountiful? Khor Rori, Oman.

Dad gum easy.
Yes, "dad gum easy" after you took the time to read the reference I pointed you to! But still arbitrary nonetheless, others think it might be a location near there but not Khor Rori itself.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:31 PM

27,930 posts, read 29,774,299 times
Quote:
You got you a problem one way or the other, pal.
Quote:
Here is a fundamental first question. The language used on the plates is reported to be, reformed Egyptian. Who said?
Nephi.
Quote:
Who reformed it?
The Nephites.
Quote:
and why is there no other use of this language anywhere in history?
Why should there be? The Nephites didn't exactly do a lot of international traveling. The language Nephi referred to as "reformed Egyptian" may not be found anywhere else in history, but the concept is certainly not a unique one.
Quote:
The proto Mormons were Jews, Jews were literate, Jews wrote in Hebrew.
So why'd you bother asking the question if you already knew the answer?

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-20-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 02-20-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godless View Post
That's right. Believers of many kinds wear funny costumes.
So do non-believers. What's your point?

Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,505,241 times
Quote:
I think I already responded to this with a quote from the Book of Mormon where one of the prophets answers your question. But if I recall correctly without taking the time to look at earlier posts, you replied that you didn't want a quote from the book or a link to anywhere where you'd find additional information!
Dang straight, I want to know what a responder thinks, not sumun else.

so, based on your alls answers, Nephi wrote in a language he did not know, modified into an easier to write script.

Ya'll see the problem for us concrete operations types?

especially considering that Hebrews in Khor Rori were already writing on bronze plates in Hebrew.

And not even a thank you from Katzpur for showing him how to write succint' answers.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
And not even a thank you from Katzpur for showing him how to write succint' answers.
I'm not a "him," thank you very much. And I don't need some backwoods redneck to teach me anything, least of all anything related to the use of the written English language.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,235,570 times
This thread is CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.