Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 03:42 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

The only reason I can see for this is a deep deep insecurity about the validity of their faith. I trust they do not represent the majority of Mormons, for these people on this board are not a credit to the people who believe.

Slo, justamere etc, you should be deeply embarrassed.

Thats not true or fair Clarks. You know there are those like yeshuasavedme who are only here to antagonize and make false statements about a religion that they know little about, but are profoundly afraid of. They make statements that are either sweeping generalizations or out and out false hoods, but ususally half truths. Should we remain silent? What would you expect?
Im happy to answer any legitimate questions....

Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 PM

97 posts, read 120,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Mormons believe as man is God once was, as God is man can become. You are trying to reveal some kind of disturbing facts about the Church that dont exist. The doctrine is simple, you can create your own thoughts about what that means, but that doesnt make it truth. You keep mentioning the term Heavely Father like thats a bad thing. YES, we believe that we are literal children of God. We believe that we are created literally in Gods image. We believe that man gets a taste of Gods love when we have children of our own, thats the only way I can relate to all encompassing love. Thats the way we can relate to the Father wanting the best and everything for his children.
As for the question regarding resurrection, dont you believe in the resurrection?
Songs regarding the prophet Joseph Smith? Yes. So. That in no way means we worship him or put him in any way equal to Christ.

The disturbing thing that you have just revealed to me is that Mormons try to put Humans on the same level as God. How can you think that is possible? God created everything including man. Man is only what God made him to be. Even if he made man in the image of God, he did not make man to be God.

I have a child of my own, and love her very much, but if you relate that love that a parent has for a child to the Love that God has for me (or any other sinner), you are underestimating God's Love in a HUGE way. I would guess you may not know Jesus Christ and his infinite Love.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyeducky View Post
God's church is as perfect as it can be.
And so now all we need to do is figure out which of the more than 30,000 different denominations of Christianity is "God's Church." Oh yeah, right... it's yours.

Quote:
Any imperfection is of man.
You got that one right. Maybe if the prophets and apostles that Christ called had not been killed, "God's Church" might never have fallen into apostasy. They were the foundation upon which He built His Church, right? And what happens when the foundation crumbles? You got it.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The disturbing thing that you have just revealed to me is that Mormons try to put Humans on the same level as God. How can you think that is possible? God created everything including man. Man is only what God made him to be. Even if he made man in the image of God, he did not make man to be God.

I have a child of my own, and love her very much, but if you relate that love that a parent has for a child to the Love that God has for me (or any other sinner), you are underestimating God's Love in a HUGE way. I would guess you may not know Jesus Christ and his infinite Love.

I dont think so. I think thats how God teaches us about eternal love.
And no, Mormons dont put humans on the same level as God, thats not the point.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:22 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
Quote:
Should we remain silent? What would you expect?
Im happy to answer any legitimate questions....
I expect any answer to be framed in the light of Christ, not an argument for arguments sake. You people take the same attack dog mode no matter what anyone else says, that ain't Christ like.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And so now all we need to do is figure out which of the more than 30,000 different denominations of Christianity is "God's Church." Oh yeah, right... it's yours.

You got that one right. Maybe if the prophets and apostles that Christ called had not been killed, "God's Church" might never have fallen into apostasy. They were the foundation upon which He built His Church, right? And what happens when the foundation crumbles? You got it.

First off, no church of man (or denomination) is perfect. The building I attend for services is no better than your building. The people no better than the people that are in your building. No denomination is better than another, they are all terrible. There is only one way, that is through Christ. For anyone to claim "their way" is better, they must not know God's way yet, for His way is the only way.

For anyone to claim to be more rightous than another is filth. There is none rightous but God. The only rightousness that we get is through Christ.

God's Church fell into apostasy? Again, are you referring to some mans church? God's Church is and has been, how can it fall into apostasy?

Old 02-12-2010, 04:32 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,456,566 times
Quote:
Mormons believe as man is God once was, as God is man can become.
So you answered partly. Now to get this straight so that I am not accused of making false claims:
1 Is the Mormon God a married human being, who has been exalted to being a god, who also worships his heavenly father who was exalted to being a god and who is also married to female goddesses, in Mormon theology?

2 Is your Mormon god a polygamist god? -is he married to more than one female goddess?

Quote:
Songs regarding the prophet Joseph Smith? Yes. So. That in no way means we worship him or put him in any way equal to Christ.
Now to get this straight, so you do not accuse me of making false claims: in Mormon theology, is Joseph Smith going to be worshiped as a god by human beings, just like you worship your "heavenly father" Mormon god now?

Old 02-12-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I dont think so. I think thats how God teaches us about eternal love.
And no, Mormons dont put humans on the same level as God, thats not the point.

God uses examples to help us learn, the words "Heavenly Father", "Childlike Faith" "Son", "Brethern" etc are certainly pertaining to the Spiritual family, but again, if you see the Spiritual Love that God has for us and compare it to the Love between a parent and a child, it is so far superior, it makes human love look like hatred.

If you let yourself feel and know his love, it will overwhelm you in every way you can not imagine.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
So you answered partly. Now to get this straight so that I am not accused of making false claims:
1 Is the Mormon God a married human being, who has been exalted to being a god, who also worships his heavenly father who was exalted to being a god and who is also married to female goddesses, in Mormon theology?

2 Is your Mormon god a polygamist god? -is he married to more than one female goddess?

Now to get this straight, so you do not accuse me of making false claims: in Mormon theology, is Joseph Smith going to be worshiped as a god by human beings, just like you worship your "heavenly father" Mormon god now?
1. There is no such thing as the Mormon God. Only God the father of all mankind. We do believe in a heavenly mother. Beyond that, what you have said is false.
2. No. I have never heard that ever before.
3. Joseph has the same potential as anyone else. None greater than any other. We believe all of Gods children are equal, non greater than another.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
God uses examples to help us learn, the words "Heavenly Father", "Childlike Faith" "Son", "Brethern" etc are certainly pertaining to the Spiritual family, but again, if you see the Spiritual Love that God has for us and compare it to the Love between a parent and a child, it is so far superior, it makes human love look like hatred.

If you let yourself feel and know his love, it will overwhelm you in every way you can not imagine.
I believe in examples and teaching through symbolism as well. We ae born of Gods love, it is inherent in our make up, we learn from the father. And we learn throughout our time on earth and our stewardship over his other children. If you assume we are all Gods children how else could you imagine that we could learn of Gods love. I dont totally discount what you said, but I would think you could see my point as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality