Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 02:54 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
How many gods do the Mormons worship?
Do they worship Jesus Christ as God?

Quote:
I asked about why 'you' hate God. I actually did wonder why some of you who attacked me so viciously when I first came here and began to write on this board hated God so much, because it seems to me that if one just doesn't believe in something, they don't spend their days trying to slander it, and curse it and belittle it. I mean, if it does not exist, why spend so much time and effort attacking it?
Why Do You Hate God?

One begins to wonder why there is such doggedness from some while they cry "foul" for the same thing.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 PM

97 posts, read 120,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That is false. Nobody "assigned" God to the earth we live on. He created it. He created the entire universe. Furthermore, he has created worlds without number, and nobody "assigned" Him to do so.

Definitely not in the way you are thinking.

Who knows. To deny that it's possible is to say that with God, some things are impossible.

I can see that.

[color=black]God the Eternal Father, the first member of the Godhead, is the God of all.

Okay, so you have asked the question and provided the answer, too. What it is you want from us?

Of course, He has all power and authority.

Of course not.

No, it's not true, but as you have proven, it's easy to define Christianity in such a way that whichever denominations you choose to exclude are excluded.
Thanks for the responses! These are much easier to understand than long answers that skirt the question.

So, my understanding may have been wrong, or my question not stated well...

Is God the Eternal Father, (the first member of the Godhead) your only God?

And who makes up the Godhead? (I am assuming it is not God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost, as I was already told)

Understand, the following is not meant to put words in your mouth, but to tell you what I may be beginning to understand:

Is God the Eternal Father the first member, Jesus the second Member, and then we have the chance at becoming a third member, and God over our own world? and our children would be God's over thier own worlds (fourth member) and so on? Each under the prior God, all answering ultimately to God the Eternal Father?

I am just trying to understand some stuff I have read that has confused me.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:22 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
How many gods do the Mormons worship?
We worship one God, a Godhead comprised of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
Quote:
Do they worship Jesus Christ as God?
Of course we do. Mormon 7:7 clearly states, "And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end."

Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
It appears that you believe in the unbiblical "trinity" doctrine, I do not.
Quote:
We worship one God, a Godhead comprised of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."

So you do not call the God Head "Trinity", yet you recognize the three are One?

Or.....

You disagree on this point?

Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyeducky View Post
Thanks for the responses! These are much easier to understand than long answers that skirt the question.
No problem.

Quote:
So, my understanding may have been wrong, or my question not stated well...
Quote:
Is God the Eternal Father, (the first member of the Godhead) your only God?
"God" is a synonym for "Godhead." "Godhead" is a collective noun. It denotes three who are share the title of "God." Each of them has a different role to play, but they are united in absolute perfection in will and purpose.

Quote:
And who makes up the Godhead? (I am assuming it is not God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost, as I was already told)
The Godhead is comprised of three divine persons: the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

Quote:
Is God the Eternal Father the first member, Jesus the second Member, and then we have the chance at becoming a third member, and God over our own world?
No. We believe in the same three as you do: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. When we are speaking of them collectively, we use the word "Godhead," whereas you use the word "Trinity." We don't rely on the Nicene or Athanasian Creeds, or believe they are inspired of God, so our understanding of the relationship between the three may be somewhat different from yours.

Quote:
and our children would be God's over thier own worlds (fourth member) and so on? Each under the prior God, all answering ultimately to God the Eternal Father?
You know, you're getting into some pretty deep doctrine. I know you'd like me to keep it simple, but I know that, in the past, when I have oversimplified my answers, I have been accused of not explaining our doctrine fully. So, I find myself in a kind of Catch-22 when trying to answer this question. I hope you'll try to recognize that.

Romans 8:16-17, 2 Peter 1:4, Revelation 2:26-27 and Revelation 3:21 (I'll let you look them up so that my post won't be too long) teach us that as children of God, we may also be His heirs, joint-heirs with Christ, even glorified with Him. We might partake of the nature of divinity and be allowed to sit with our Savior on His throne, to rule over the nations.

Now, if these promises are true (as I believe they are), what do they all boil down to? To the Latter-day Saints, they mean that we have the potential to someday, be “godlike.” If I were to try to answer your question in any other way, I would just be speculating and not telling you our official doctrine. I can say without any hesitation, however, that we do not believe there will ever become a time when we are not entirely subservient to God, nor do we believe that we could, on our own, become anything He did not choose to make us.

Quote:
I am just trying to understand some stuff I have read that has confused me.
Well, I'll be happy to try to answer your questions, provided they remain respectful.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-15-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
So you do not call the God Head "Trinity", yet you recognize the three are One?

Or.....

You disagree on this point?
We believe they are one, but we don't use words such as "essence" or "substance" to define them. We see their unity as absolute and perfect, but don't believe it is a physical unity. In other words, we believe that when Jesus Christ was here on earth, His Father was in Heaven. To us, a single "substance" could not, for example, simultaneously be both corporeal (as trinitarians would describe the mortal Christ) and incorporeal (as they would describe God the Father)at the same time. We believe that Jesus Christ was sent here by His Father, that He did His Father's will while He was here, that He prayed to His Father, commended His spirit into His Father's hands when it left His body at death, and ascended to His Father after His resurrection. We also believe that He sits on His Father's right hand today and that virtually everything they do (and that the Holy Ghost does), they do in perfect unity, and that their singular "work and glory [is] to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

Old 02-15-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
We believe they are one, but we don't use words such as "essence" or "substance" to define them. We see their unity as absolute and perfect, but don't believe it is a physical unity. In other words, we believe that when Jesus Christ was here on earth, His Father was in Heaven. To us, a single "substance" could not, for example, simultaneously be both corporeal (as trinitarians would describe the mortal Christ) and incorporeal (as they would describe God the Father)at the same time. We believe that Jesus Christ was sent here by His Father, that He did His Father's will while He was here, that He prayed to His Father, commended His spirit into His Father's hands when it left His body at death, and ascended to His Father after His resurrection. We also believe that He sits on His Father's right hand today and that virtually everything they do (and that the Holy Ghost does), they do in perfect unity, and that their singular "work and glory [is] to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."

So I think I understand what you believe on the Godhead....

You do not recognize the Father, the Son, and The Holy Ghost as one, rather as 3 that make up one (Godhead)

You see them as three totally seperate persons (or beings) that make up a Godhead rather than One person (being) revealed to us in three beings.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
So I think I understand what you believe on the Godhead....

You do not recognize the Father, the Son, and The Holy Ghost as one, rather as 3 that make up one (Godhead)

You see them as three totally seperate persons (or beings) that make up a Godhead rather than One person (being) revealed in three ways.
Yes and no. We believe they are "one" but not numerically "one." Almost any dictionary you were to look in would give multiple meanings for the word "one." One of those meanings ("a single unit") is the meaning trinitarian Christians use. Another ("united") is the meaning LDS Christians use.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:24 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,234 times
I guess I don't get my questions answered, it appears that the Mormons would rather argue their faith with people of other faiths, a useless task.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Yes and no. We believe they are "one" but not numerically "one." Almost any dictionary you were to look in would give multiple meanings for the word "one." One of those meanings ("a single unit") is the meaning trinitarian Christians use. Another ("united") is the meaning LDS Christians use.
I don't know what the creeds you mentioned earlier are, but I do know that I understand that Jesus is God. and that he has all the power that God has, he is equal to God, He is God.

Isaiah 43:10-11
10Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. 11I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

I do not want to underestimate God, but as you read above, there will be no Gods before or after the one true God.

I read this and say that must mean I cannot be a God. There is but one God.
I am not saying God will not give us Glory in Heaven, power maybe? dominion even? but he has already said he is the only God for infinate past present and future. We are only what he makes us to be.

It just seems so confusing to me when Christianity is so simple. Why would God reveal so much confusion when the Bible has enough Truth to create faith in believers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality