Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Please keep in mind YSM that this thread is dedicated to the discussion of MORMONISM and not to your own beliefs, thanks.
This thread is titled ...."discuss all aspects of Mormonism".
So I do -do you, or do you think that this board is for exclusive proselytizing of the readers for the Mormon religion, only?

How is it that you say Jesus was "born a god in heaven" by his being the sexually begotten offspring of a Mormon -exalted man- god and goddess?
That one is beyond comprehension, so maybe you can discuss the aspects of how your Mormon god in heaven had a god, Jesus, by sexual union with his goddess wife, there, but all their other "children" [yourself included] have to come incarnate as human beings and live good Mormon lives so as to be candidates for exaltation in Mormon heaven?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:47 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
...How is it that you say Jesus was "born a god in heaven" by his being the sexually begotten offspring of a Mormon -exalted man- god and goddess? That one is beyond comprehension, so maybe you can discuss the aspects of how your Mormon god in heaven had a god, Jesus, by sexual union with his goddess wife, there, but all their other "children" [yourself included] have to come incarnate as human beings and live good Mormon lives so as to be candidates for exaltation in Mormon heaven?
You have been told many times that your beliefs about Mormon beliefs are almost always not only untrue, deceptive, and misleading, but also many times utterly ridiculous, especially your personal hangup on sexual relations in heaven which is not one of our doctrines.

As far as I know it has never been revealed how God the Father creates His spirit children!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 PM

97 posts, read 120,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Just a quick note on the structure and organization of the LDS Church. All members of the LDS Church adhere to the same doctrine, of course you will get some interpretation differences, but generally very very little and generally minor issues. There is no voting or discussion on any doctrine or moral issues (Ive seen this in other churches). For those of us who are members, it is a great comfort to know that the doctrine is exactly the same worldwide. And that if you attend a service anywhere in the world, its likely to be largely the same.

I assumed you were answering my previous questions and saying there are no divisions or sects in the LDS church as you can see from my earlier post. I was suprised and did a quick google search on it:

Mormon Splinter Groups - Sects that broke away from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, LDS

Are these all considered Mormon religions, or is there only one Mormon religion, and these are considered "wrong"?

Old 02-17-2010, 01:56 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyeducky View Post
I guess I am curious what you see as different between these phrases?
I see it as possible to be asked in many ways. The way you stated it is one I had never heard. It makes sense, but doesn't sound personal. In other words, they may have a testimony, but it doesn't really have to relate to the atonement of their personal sin.

I guess my question is: why do you ask it that way?
We ask it that way so as not to be confused with you guys.

No, I'm just kidding. You say it doesn't sound personal. Maybe it doesn't to you, but to us it's deeply personal. If anybody truly has a testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, it almost has to be personal, because the benefits of the Atonement are pronoundly personal. There is really not much point in thinking of the Atonement of Christ in general terms. If He died to atone for the sins of the world, and if I have sinned, then He died to atone for my sins specifically. I was personally responsible for some of His suffering and I will personally be blessed by what He would have done for me -- if I were the only person to have ever lived who had sinned.

We speak of "having a testimony" as opposed to "being saved" or "having received Christ" because we see salvation as being more of a continual process than a one time event. Particularly for those of who who grew up in the Church, we were taught of our Father in Heaven's love for us from the time we were toddlers. We learned to pray long before we entered Kindergarten. We experienced answers to our prayers and blessings from obedience as little children. Our faith in Jesus Christ and our understanding of His sacrifice didn't just happen one Friday evening at 7:45 P.M. when we "were saved." They grew over time and developed into a testimony that continues to grow. At what point would it be appropriate to say that "we received Christ"? I don't know if this will make sense to you or not, but that's how I'd answer your question.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I assumed you were answering my previous questions and saying there are no divisions or sects in the LDS church as you can see from my earlier post. I was suprised and did a quick google search on it:

Mormon Splinter Groups - Sects that broke away from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, LDS

Are these all considered Mormon religions, or is there only one Mormon religion, and these are considered "wrong"?
The are all "Mormons" in the same respect that all Protestants are "Catholic." Yes, there are a number of splinter groups that can trace their origins back to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but we don't consider them to be part of our church any more than Catholics would consider Methodists to be part of their Church. For the most part, they don't want to be considered part of our Church because they split from us, believing us to have once taught the truth but fallen into error. It's essentially the same relationship as exists between Protestants and Catholics. Protestantism split from Catholicism because of a belief that Catholicism needed to be "reformed."

Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
You have been told many times that your beliefs about Mormon beliefs are almost always not only untrue, deceptive, and misleading, but also many times utterly ridiculous, especially your personal hangup on sexual relations in heaven which is not one of our doctrines.

As far as I know it has never been revealed how God the Father creates His spirit children!
Someone really, really has a lot of sexual hangups, wouldn't you say, justamere? Have you ever seen anybody with such a one-track mind? And such an incredible imagination to top it off!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
1. Yes, the resurrected Savior is the head of his re-established restored original Christian Church which is built on the same foundation of revelation and living apostles. When an apostle dies, another is chosen to take his place by the living apostles by due process of revelation, as it was anciently.

It is our belief that nobody is authorized to take upon themselves the Priesthood of God. Every priesthood holder in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (that's all worthy males 12 years and older) can trace their priesthood authority back through Peter, James, and John to Jesus Christ.

"And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron." Hebrews 5: 4

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/heb/5/4#4

2. Miracles are very frequent today as they were anciently, but they are usually considered sacred and not often mentioned in public media. My guess is that each of the living apostles by virtue of their Priesthood and faith has been instrumental in the flow of many miracles from the hands of Jesus Christ.

3. Apostles are special witnesses of Jesus Christ. A few but not many have spoken of how they became such. Joseph Smith and others saw not only Jesus Christ but God the Father as well.

4. Today there are fifteen living called and anointed Apostles of Jesus Christ. Twice each year the worldwide members of the Church raise their hand and sustain each of them as "prophets, seers, and revelators." At the death of a President of the LDS Church, the senior apostle (in terms of date of ordination to the office of Apostle) becomes the next president. Although all apostles are prophets, Latter-day Saints recognize the President of the Church (the senior apostle) as being the "Prophet" (as was Peter) who alone is authorized to speak for God for the entire Church, in fact for those who will listen, for the entire world.

"Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." Amos 3: 7

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/amos/3/7#7

We live in great and glorious times, even the FULNESS...
So I think I understand your views on this, but am curious...

The way I understand you, there are only 15 apostles in Christ's Church. I have found some other christian churches/religions/denominations that also believe they have modern day apostles. Does the Mormon church believe that they are false apostles?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We ask it that way so as not to be confused with you guys.

No, I'm just kidding. You say it doesn't sound personal. Maybe it doesn't to you, but to us it's deeply personal. If anybody truly has a testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, it almost has to be personal, because the benefits of the Atonement are pronoundly personal. There is really not much point in thinking of the Atonement of Christ in general terms. If He died to atone for the sins of the world, and if I have sinned, then He died to atone for my sins specifically. I was personally responsible for some of His suffering and I will personally be blessed by what He would have done for me -- if I were the only person to have ever lived who had sinned.

We speak of "having a testimony" as opposed to "being saved" or "having received Christ" because we see salvation as being more of a continual process than a one time event. Particularly for those of who who grew up in the Church, we were taught of our Father in Heaven's love for us from the time we were toddlers. We learned to pray long before we entered Kindergarten. We experienced answers to our prayers and blessings from obedience as little children. Our faith in Jesus Christ and our understanding of His sacrifice didn't just happen one Friday evening at 7:45 P.M. when we "were saved." They grew over time and developed into a testimony that continues to grow. At what point would it be appropriate to say that "we received Christ"? I don't know if this will make sense to you or not, but that's how I'd answer your question.

Actually it doesn't make much sense to me, but I was not born and raised Mormon. To me it is about faith in and belief in Jesus Christ, Either you have it or you don't. My interpetation of what you have wrote is that it is more of an understanding and learning process than a faith or belief. It seems confusing. (to me )

Is there ever a point in a Mormons life that they celebrate or acknowledge that a person has came to faith in Jesus Christ? And with this in mind (and if Mormons do baptisms) at what point is a Mormon baptised? Does it only take a partial belief or partial faith? Or does it take an acknowledgement that Jesus Christ is truely their Saviour and their ONLY hope for Salvation.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The are all "Mormons" in the same respect that all Protestants are "Catholic." Yes, there are a number of splinter groups that can trace their origins back to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but we don't consider them to be part of our church any more than Catholics would consider Methodists to be part of their Church. For the most part, they don't want to be considered part of our Church because they split from us, believing us to have once taught the truth but fallen into error. It's essentially the same relationship as exists between Protestants and Catholics. Protestantism split from Catholicism because of a belief that Catholicism needed to be "reformed."

That is a good explanation, and helps me to understand. It seems Mormonism has the same struggles as other religions.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:33 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times
Quote:
...The way I understand you, there are only 15 apostles in Christ's Church. I have found some other christian churches/religions/denominations that also believe they have modern day apostles. Does the Mormon church believe that they are false apostles?
No, we simply do not attack others for believing and worshiping as they will. What we do is teach those who are interested the beautiful truths about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father's plan of happiness for all of His children that we have become aware of in this the fulness of times.

"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/a_of_f/1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality