Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:07 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
The natural world
That is a nonsense word . . . "natural" derived from the indifferent "Nature" God responsible for our very existence and everything that is available to maintain it. IF that is not inscrutable and Godly . . . what is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is a nonsense word . . . "natural" derived from the indifferent "Nature" God responsible for our very existence and everything that is available to maintain it. IF that is not inscrutable and Godly . . . what is?
What are you attempting to achieve by asserting your religious belief?

"Nature, in the broadest sense, is equivalent to the natural world, physical world, or material world".
The natural world. Anything with physical quantities.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I get that . . . but what DO you call it then? What IS it.
He just said "I don't believe".
Meaning he has not seen convincing evidence that it exist.
So why are you asking him to call your idea something other then what you are calling it.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
What are you attempting to achieve by asserting your religious belief?
Enlightenment. The realization that everything that is just taken as it is because "it just is" is NOT explained or understood and is no different conceptually than God. Naming is not understanding and knowing.
Quote:
"Nature, in the broadest sense, is equivalent to the natural world, physical world, or material world".
The natural world. Anything with physical quantities.
"Nature" is everything that exists . . . but that tells us nothing about WHAT it is . . . it just provides a convenient, dismissive, name to ignore any substantive understanding of it . . . "Oh . . . that's just natural . . . it is a natural process . . . it is part of nature . . . etc.etc. etc.

In the beginning of science . . . your "Nature" was synonymous with God. The dogmatic and religious tyranny and persecution of science and scientists is what forced them to create a more neutral name for what they were investigating . . . and a name for the category that they no longer wished to acknowledge . . ."supernatural" . . . for the term God all the religious garbage that caused them so much grief.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I was raised a Catholic and, as a child, found the church intricate and boring. But it's stand on one issue ~ birth control ~ influenced me to pull away. However, I never completely renounced Catholicism; some of it I "took" with me, although I stopped attending services.

I never joined another religion. Others have not triggered any interest, plus I'm not sociable enough to be a part of a congregation. (However, I consider this to be a problem with me personally, not the church.)

In summary, over time I've developed my own spiritualism and theories but I'd definitely say I'm religious in my own way. I've adopted much New Age, a little pagan, a little occult, maintained some Catholicism, and, although it has no associating religion, am inspired by the Urantia Book. All play roles in developing "my own".

If I do ever do start attending church again, it will probably be back to Catholic. Maybe.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Enlightenment. The realization that everything that is just taken as it is because "it just is" is NOT explained or understood and is no different conceptually than God. Naming is not understanding and knowing. "Nature" is everything that exists . . . but that tells us nothing about WHAT it is . . . it just provides a convenient, dismissive, name to ignore any substantive understanding of it . . . "Oh . . . that's just natural . . . it is a natural process . . . it is part of nature . . . etc.etc. etc.

In the beginning of science . . . your "Nature" was synonymous with God. The dogmatic and religious tyranny and persecution of science and scientists is what forced them to create a more neutral name for what they were investigating . . . and a name for the category that they no longer wished to acknowledge . . ."supernatural" . . . for the term God all the religious garbage that caused them so much grief.
There you go again trying to claim knowledge from an unknown.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:37 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Have you left the Religion you were affiliated with, or changed Religions? What precipitated this change? What group did you leave, and if you changed religions, what faith did you join?
I was a Catholic but switched to deism when I simply found that I simply couldn't look up to the horrible god described in the bible. Then eventually I began to detest the idea that faith is anything other than useless or downright detrimental and became an atheist.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
There you go again trying to claim knowledge from an unknown.
Not claiming knowledge from an unknown . . . trying to get you and your ilk to recognize that is what you are doing . . . by dismissively pretending that "Nature" is not just as "Godly" and inscrutable as any other God . . . without all the religious mumbo jumbo . . . because that is what science started out to investigate.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
i said it before:
one cannot leave a "religion".
since the church ("ecclesia") as the concept of "one body" in all its largesse is so utterly atomized that it cannot provide a home or a sanctuary for wholeness, wellbeing and prosperity, what should one seek there?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
I was baptized a Protestant then given a Catholic education.
When I came of age I chose not to follow any Christian denomination or any other form of organised religion.
But I do follow the philosophy of Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality