Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 03:20 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I guess that this is the basis for my questions regarding the Mormon faith: isn't the BOM and everything else adding to the Bible? Please, Mormons, don't be offended! I'm honestly curious.
This is a section that is added in the LDS version of the Bible in Genesis (or used to be unless they omitted it recently). Whereas the version of Genesis outside of the LDS church ends at chapter 50:26, the LDS version adds this portion which if I remember right, they believe refers to the eventual rise of Joseph Smith.

24 And Joseph said unto his brethren, I die, and go unto my fathers; and I go down to my grave with joy. The God of my father Jacob be with you, to deliver you out of affliction in the days of your bondage; for the Lord hath visited me, and I have obtained a promise of the Lord, that out of the fruit of my loins, the Lord God will raise up a righteous branch out of my loins; and unto thee, whom my father Jacob hath named Israel, a prophet; (not the Messiah who is called Shilo and this prophet shall deliver my people out of Egypt in the days of thy bondage.
25 And it shall come to pass that they shall be scattered again; and a branch shall be broken off, and shall be carried into a far country; nevertheless they shall be remembered in the covenants of the Lord, when the Messiah cometh; for he shall be made manifest unto them in the latter days, in the Spirit of power; and shall bring them out of darkness into light; out of hidden darkness, and out of captivity unto freedom.
26 A seer shall the Lord my God raise up, who shall be a choice seer unto the fruit of my loins.
27 Thus saith the Lord God of my fathers unto me, A choice seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins, and he shall be esteemed highly among the fruit of thy loins; and unto him will I give commandment that he shall do a work for the fruit of thy loins, his brethren.
28 And he shall bring them to the knowledge of the covenants which I have made with thy fathers; and he shall do whatsoever work I shall command him.
29 And I will make him great in mine eyes, for he shall do my work; and he shall be great like unto him who I have said I would raise up unto you, to deliver my people, O house of Israel, out of the land of Egypt; for a seer will I raise up to deliver my people out of the land of Egypt; and he shall be called Moses. And by this name he shall know that he is of thy house; for he shall be nursed by the king’s daughter, and shall be called her son.
30 And again, a seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins, and unto him will I give power to bring forth my word unto the seed of thy loins; and not to the bringing forth of my word only, saith the Lord, but to the convincing them of my word, which shall have already gone forth among them in the last days;
31 Wherefore the fruit of thy loins shall write, and the fruit of the loins of Judah shall write; and that which shall be written by the fruit of thy loins, and also that which shall be written by the fruit of the loins of Judah, shall grow together unto the confounding of false doctrines, and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and bringing them to a knowledge of their fathers in the latter days; and also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord.
32 And out of weakness shall he be made strong, in that day when my work shall go forth among all my people, which shall restore them, who are of the house of Israel, in the last days.
33 And that seer will I bless, and they that seek to destroy him shall be confounded; for this promise I give unto you; for I will remember you from generation to generation; and his name shall be called Joseph, and it shall be after the name of his father; and he shall be like unto you; for the thing which the Lord shall bring forth by his hand shall bring my people unto salvation.
34 And the Lord sware unto Joseph that he would preserve his seed forever, saying, I will raise up Moses, and a rod shall be in his hand, and he shall gather together my people, and he shall lead them as a flock, and he shall smite the waters of the Red Sea with his rod.
35 And he shall have judgment, and shall write the word of the Lord. And he shall not speak many words, for I will write unto him my law by the finger of mine own hand. And I will make a spokesman for him, and his name shall be called Aaron.
36 And it shall be done unto thee in the last days also, even as I have sworn. Therefore, Joseph said unto his brethren, God will surely visit you, and bring you out of this land, unto the land which he sware unto Abraham, and unto Isaac, and to Jacob.
37 And Joseph confirmed many other things unto his brethren, and took an oath of the children of Israel, saying unto them, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence.
38 So Joseph died when he was an hundred and ten years old; and they embalmed him, and they put him in a coffin in Egypt; and he was kept from burial by the children of Israel, that he might be carried up and laid in the sepulchre with his father. And thus they remembered the oath which they sware unto him.

I think there are a few additions in the NT portion also but I don't remember exactly where. The LDS church views this and the BOM/D&C/POGP as missing portions of scripture which are another testament and everyone outside of the mormon church views these as additions to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Also, if you will notice, verses 24-26 are not the same as versions outside the mormon church either.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:43 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times
That's wierd. I thought the Mormons just used the regular KJ bible. I had no idea there were added verses.

Can someone of the Mormon faith confirm this?

Old 06-22-2007, 03:52 PM

I was a member of the mormon church for 13+ years and that is what we read in our version. I don't know if those verses are still there or not. I know some things in the temple ceremony have changed since the late '90's so maybe some things in the LDS version of the Bible might have also. Not sure.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:54 PM

They use the KJV version of the Bible but with the extra verses.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:54 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I was a member of the mormon church for 13+ years and that is what we read in our version. I don't know if those verses are still there or not. I know some things in the temple ceremony have changed since the late '90's so maybe some things in the LDS version of the Bible might have also. Not sure.
You may have said this before Urban, but what caused you to leave the LDS church?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:05 PM

I didn't believe in the doctrine anymore. The more I learned and researched, the more I realized that it wasn't true. Of course, I am only speaking for myself. I still love the mormon people....they are a very loving organization and I still have friends who belong to the church.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:55 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
That's wierd. I thought the Mormons just used the regular KJ bible. I had no idea there were added verses.

Can someone of the Mormon faith confirm this?
They are not added verses. They are clarifications of existing verse and are listed in what is called the Joseph Smith Translation or JST in a special section. As an example, in the Bible is talks about God repenting, since God cannot sin, He has no need to repent. The JST clarifies such verses.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:21 PM

Sorry, sergeant, I have to disagree with you. If you hold two copies together, one being the LDS version of the Bible and the regular KJV Bible, there are added verses in there. I displayed the ones in Genesis.

I know the mormon church believes that these verses are clarifications but anyone else outside the church will see that they are additions to text that have been there for a long time.

In addition, a clarification is the expansion of an existing idea or thought. Through the entire book of Genesis, there is no mention anywhere of the coming of Joseph Smith until, in the LDS version, chapter 50:24-38 elaborates on that. Not only that, but the text in verses 24-26 are different in the two different versions. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that but I can't buy the reasoning that all these changes and additions are merely "clarifications".

Gotta go to church. Have a great evening all and blessings to you.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
I have a quad....including the King James version of the Bible....Genesis ends at 50:26. I own an LDS "version" as you put it, and that is not what it says. I can appreciate differences of opinion, I really can. But I just can't understand why you say it's one thing, and yet in front of my eyes is something entirely different. BTW, a "quad" is The Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price within the same binding. It can be purchased by ANYONE through The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints website. The only Bible the LDS Church uses is the King James Version, which excluding footnotes added for reference, is IDENTICAL to any King James Version of The Holy Bible you will find ANYWHERE. Also, that is not a new change....this Bible is the same one used for years in the Church, and to the best of my knowledge, that will continue.

Now, to the best of my knowledge this was meant to be a thread in which people with honest, sincere questions about the LDS Faith could have them answered. I would appreciate a return to that type of thread. You, Urbanlemur, are entitled to your opinion, but it is just that, your opinion. Those of us who are LDS are trying to provide accurate, honest information to sincere questions. You continue to argue, and that is not what this thread was about at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality