Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 08:44 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times

Advertisements

I thought that I would start a thread for people who simply have questions about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, aka The Mormon Church. I would like to specify, that this thread is for people who genuinely have questions about the church, that they would like answers to. There are a lot of misconceptions out there, and I thought this would be a good chance for some who may not know any Mormons personally, to get questions answered from both LDS citydata members, and non-LDS citydata members who have their facts straight. I know that Mitt Romney announcing his campaign for U.S. president, has some people wondering about the LDS (Mormon) faith.

This thread is not intended for people who want to just bash the LDS faith, or post ignorant one liners like:
1)The Mormons are a cult
2)The Mormons have lots of wives
3)The Mormons aren't Christians
4)Joe Smith wrote the Book of Mormon
5)Mormons practice evil rituals in their temples

These are the most common one liners I hear about the LDS faith, and they are simply untrue. So for anyone who would like to clear up any concerns they may have about the LDS faith, or for people who just want to ask a few questions..... please post here. If you want to bash the LDS faith, do it on another thread. It's fine if people want to say they disagree with topics that may be discussed within this thread, but valid reasons of why you disagree, and perhaps an explanation of your own beliefs, would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 09:24 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
I do have a question but I might not have enough information to be able to get an answer. I have a coworker friend who was raised as a Mormon and there's a slang that I've heard people use and that's a "Jack Mormon" which is what she considers herself. About a year ago her Father whose first wife had died and who is a devout Mormon remarried in the church. For some reason that she didn't want to go into my friend was not allowed to go into the temple for her own Father's wedding although she attended other social gatherings for the event. What sort of reason would there be for not allowing her to attend? She is religious but not actively participating as a church member here in the Phoenix area. Also, she does drink which I know they frown on. I just thought it was very unusual. Any thoughts or is what I'm telling you even making any sense? And by the way, I would never say anything to her or anyone else about your thoughts since she is my friend.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I do have a question but I might not have enough information to be able to get an answer. I have a coworker friend who was raised as a Mormon and there's a slang that I've heard people use and that's a "Jack Mormon" which is what she considers herself. About a year ago her Father whose first wife had died and who is a devout Mormon remarried in the church. For some reason that she didn't want to go into my friend was not allowed to go into the temple for her own Father's wedding although she attended other social gatherings for the event. What sort of reason would there be for not allowing her to attend? She is religious but not actively participating as a church member here in the Phoenix area. Also, she does drink which I know they frown on. I just thought it was very unusual. Any thoughts or is what I'm telling you even making any sense? And by the way, I would never say anything to her or anyone else about your thoughts since she is my friend.
I believe that would be a person who has not followed all the covenants to be allowed into the temple or has broken something like a smoker or drinking caffeine you really need to be dotting all your "I's" to get to temple
althoug my husband is a mormon I am not exactly sure

Old 05-06-2007, 09:33 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
The temple is a very sacred place to mormons. Even members if they are not in good standing cannot enter the temple. We must go through what is called a temple recommend interview in which we are asked specific questions as to our worthiness. We are first interviewed by our ward (church) bishop and then a higher authority called a stake president. So nnot just anyone can come into the temple.
When I was married (sealed) in the temple to my husband my family (except for my sis. and BIL) could not come in. This was very hard on them. Especially my dad who is quite against the church. But even though she could not go in my mom had some understanding of the sacredness of it and why she could not enter.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:36 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
dreameyes, According to the Bible all have sinned and fallen short. These presidents or whatever are in effect judging others lives. The Bible states clearly man should not judge. All men are equal and I am sure these men that are judging others are sinful men. . . thoughts?

Old 05-06-2007, 09:47 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
You raise a good point spunky. Yes I do agree with that. The point is not that we are all sinners. The point is the sacredness of the temple. Have you ever heard the saying don't cast your pearls before swine? Now I'm not saying that there arn't sincere people that would want to enter the temple but there are many who would not understand it and mock the sacredness of it that we hold dear. We believe that the temple is the House of the Lord (in fact that is inscribed on each temple) and those who are actively sinning cannot be in the Holiness of the Lord's house. I guess its not a matter of not being a sinner (because we all are) but its more that we are trying to live our best. I hope this makes some sense I'm not always the best with words.
Thankyou for your sincerity.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Thank you for your sincere response, your words were fine!

Old 05-06-2007, 09:57 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
dreameyes, According to the Bible all have sinned and fallen short. These presidents or whatever are in effect judging others lives. The Bible states clearly man should not judge. All men are equal and I am sure these men that are judging others are sinful men. . . thoughts?
Ok, I know you addressed this to dreameyes, but I too will try my best. Members of the LDS faith consider the temple ceremonies to be very sacred. Yes, all have sinned, and do fall short. Nobody is perfect, that is why Christ atoned for our sins. However, the ordinances of the temple are quite in depth, and can be confusing to members who have not yet grasped the meaning of the less complicated teachings of the church such as keeping the word of wisdom (refraining from smoking, alchohal, coffee, teas), or keeping the law of chastity (refraining from sexual acts if you are unmarried). If someone who didn't have a deep understanding of the basic LDS principles, or someone who was not a member witnessed the ordinances in our temple, they would walk away very confused. It would be like putting a person who could barely do arithmatic, into a physics class, it just wouldn't make sense. That is why you must understand, build a testimony, and obey the most basic LDS gospel principles as best you can, in order to enter the temple.

Also... the Bishop of each ward of members, asks the personal worthiness questions in private. It is only the bishop, and the person who is seeking the temple recommend. There is a series of questions asked in the interview, that are asked to every LDS church member seeking to attend the temple. If the person's answers are honest, and true, and they are following all the basic principles to the best of their abilities, then they are given a recommend. The bishop is the leader of each ward, and a man of God, acting in the name of God. That is why he is entitled to perform these interviews.

If you want to get married, you seek out someone who has the authority to marry you, a priest, bishop, or reverand, a man of God. If you are Catholic, you go to a priest to confess your sins. It is the same with a Bishop in the LDS church, he helps you to go through the repentance process, if you are making a choice in your life that is not in harmony with, or would threaten your church membership. You would see a bishop for a serious sin, such as being unchaste, adultery, seriously abusing a family member, ect. For daily shortcomings that are just human nature, one can get on their knees, ask God for forgiveness, and then forsake that particular sin.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:58 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Interviews are meant to ascertain whether one complies with the specific requirements for entry into the Temple. The rules are very simple. Some include, membership in the Church, paying a full tithing, obeying the laws of morality, etc. One either answers yes or no. If all answers are yes, then one is allowed to enter the Temple. In effect, it is self judgement.

Yes, all men are sinners, but we judge each other everyday. Since I worked in the legal field before I retired, I can attest such is a fact.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Interviews are meant to ascertain whether one complies with the specific requirements for entry into the Temple. The rules are very simple. Some include, membership in the Church, paying a full tithing, obeying the laws of morality, etc. One either answers yes or no. If all answers are yes, then one is allowed to enter the Temple. In effect, it is self judgement.

Yes, all men are sinners, but we judge each other everyday. Since I worked in the legal field before I retired, I can attest such is a fact.
But these are mans "rules" . . not from God or the Bible. Jesus was clear in his teaching, simplicity. Jesus released men from being slaves to the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality