Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
who is Russel?
Bertrand Russell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
and FYI Darwin, Newton and Einstein acknowledged the existence of God. Einstein did it on his death bed. I think the others did it well before they croaked.
There is no good reason to believe that Darwin recanted his doubts about God on his deathbed. Newton did indeed believe in God, that was one reason he wasted time on the Daniel prophecies - as he did on alchemy.

Einstein believed in some kind of order in the universe - perhaps even a Creator; but not a personal god of the kind in which Christians believe. I may say that his belief in a 'god' stood in the way of his getting to grips with quantum mechanics. He certainly did not accept anything more nor less on his deathbed.

Setting aside that you are faith - guessing a bit here (1), none of that does your case the slightest good. FYI.

(2) though you may have been misled about Darwin by the claims of Lady Hope.

Lady Hope Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 12:32 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
God made us all to think for ourselves. no argument there. But he also gave us warnings about being disobedient to his Laws...

example - Gravity is one of many of God's Laws. not mankinds. you can "think" all you want that you can fly, but i guarantee you, if you step off that cliff you're going straight down, non-stop. splat.
One of nature's laws. Not God's. Walk off a cliff praying to God to abrogate His law on your behalf and see what you get. Splat.

Quote:
So you're half right, but mostly wrong.
So you're half wrong in that natural law is nothing to do with God's laws, which we apparently have the choice to obey or not. And you are the other half wrong in that the laws we have the choice to obey or not are also natural, since they are the product of evolution and man's mind. And you are again half wrong in that any god's laws could be the laws of any of the other gods on offer.

So you are 150% wrong. That's a good score even for a Christian.

Quote:
Mankind has become so arrogant in his God-given gift of free thought, he has become a poriah unto God and needs to repent or suffer the consequence.
No. It's God - believers who are arrogant in thinking that they are so darn right in their beliefs. As right as though God was prompting them as they tapped away on their man - made keyboards doing battle with the heathen. Whereas, we godless are always aware of the limits of a purely man - limited intellect. Which is why we use the tried and tested tools of the mind, rather than the grabbit - and - run - off - at - the - mouth God - inspired 'truths'.

Quote:
but again...to each his own. <- God said that...
No. men.

Quote:
so whatever you do, you WILL get a reward for it
Keep telling yourself that. I'm constantly astonished at how the theists constantly bribe themselves out of their human birthright with an imaginary mess of pottage of their own stewing.

Ps. "he has become a pariah unto God and needs to repent or suffer the consequence." I'm curious. Is this a biblical quotation?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-12-2010 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Ps. the poriah...

Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
Quote:
Amen!
Yawn.....your post and the one following it, the one you quote here, just help to reaffirm my stance. You can't argue or reason with crazy or the über-religious, of course some would argue that they're one and the same. I also find it ironic that if you were to ask a super zealous follower of Islam what he thinks of Christianity, you'd get almost the same exact response I've been getting from certain Christians. What I'm trying to articulate is that we have all these different religious faiths all proclaiming to be "the one true faith" and anyone who doesn't follow is either misguided at best or outright evil at worst. Why do you feel the need to cast aspersions just because I believe differently? Who are you to tell me my beliefs are wrong? You are just a person like me, no better, no worse. And whether anyone chooses to believe me, I do 100% believe in God, or a higher being. I've had a very spiritual experience that changed my beliefs and opened my eyes, and I truly believe that God is love not judgement. It's how we treat others that is important in life, not how many times we read the bible or attend church. However, these are just my beliefs, your milage may vary.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
..............I truly believe that God is love not judgement. It's how we treat others that is important in life, not how many times we read the bible or attend church. However, these are just my beliefs, your milage may vary.
You are not alone......welcome to the post denominational/post Christian circle of believers.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality