U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:09 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,621,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I would say Jehova's Witnesses qualify for cult status. I know somebody who was one and you'd be surprised the kind of things his mom didn't allow in the house. He wasn't allowed to play any video games that involved sorcery or free-roam shooting games like Grand Theft Auto. According to her, they are all "from Satan".
You'll also find a lot of that in the "regular" Christian denominations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 01:16 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,685,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I agree with everything you said. I have no problem with believers, but when their belief causes problems in their lives or the lives of others, something needs to be done.

Sorry to hear about your family. Maybe one day you'll at least get to talk to them. SDA's are very stubborn though, so who knows?

I would say Jehova's Witnesses qualify for cult status. I know somebody who was one and you'd be surprised the kind of things his mom didn't allow in the house. He wasn't allowed to play any video games that involved sorcery or free-roam shooting games like Grand Theft Auto. According to her, they are all "from Satan".
Well, video games weren't an issue when I was growing up. We didn't even have a television in the house. We couldn't listen to any music that wasn't either religious or classical (because it's satanic you know), we weren't allowed to read anything that was fiction (LIES!), no caffeine, no sugar, no coffee or tea, no meat/fish/poultry, no dancing, no socializing with boys, no makeup or jewelry, no going to the movies, et cetera. Completely oppressive and sheltered from the real world. I'm surprised I survived when I left, considering how poorly I was prepared for real life.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM

8,723 posts, read 6,163,260 times
Oh that's a cult for sure, Roaminred. What does religion( or even god) have to do with all that you couldn't do? Nothing! That was just controlling every aspect of your life. Sad that people fall for that and the worst part is, these are not dumb people in general. A lot of the cults just turn a need into a weakness. They prey on people's vulnerabilities.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:26 PM

10,716 posts, read 30,991,155 times
Not only is the religion unduly controlling and oppressive but they worship a prophet who its been proved plagirised her so called works and now the medical profession believes she may have had frontal lobe epilepsy which would explain her sudden religious zeal and so called visions as they are typical of this kind of illness.

Their message is not one of love but of control and manipulation, one of exclusion if one does not walk the line. Thinking for ones self is not encourage, taking things as they are fed to you is expected.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:34 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,069,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Well, video games weren't an issue when I was growing up. We didn't even have a television in the house. We couldn't listen to any music that wasn't either religious or classical (because it's satanic you know), we weren't allowed to read anything that was fiction (LIES!), no caffeine, no sugar, no coffee or tea, no meat/fish/poultry, no dancing, no socializing with boys, no makeup or jewelry, no going to the movies, et cetera. Completely oppressive and sheltered from the real world. I'm surprised I survived when I left, considering how poorly I was prepared for real life.
Wow..That's a terrible way to grow up.

By the way, I could name many "nonfiction" books that are actually fiction.

I've always said that if you have common sense, you can survive no matter what obstacle is in your path. That may be wrong, but it's what I think.

Also, you'd be surprised how people's brains work when they are determined to do something.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:36 AM

8,723 posts, read 6,163,260 times
I agree Haaziq, common sense is very important. Anyone can be booksmart but need a blueprint to cross the street.
I find that when I'm in an unplanned situation, I am capable of a lot more than what I would normally give myself credit for.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 AM

55,228 posts, read 72,298,453 times
i dont wear make up and my ears are not pierced. i dont enjoy going to church.
i didn't enjoy going to work.
many things i do are not fun fun.
but they are good for me so i do them.
i also am on a progress curve most everything i do. which is kind of nice.
discipline focus accomplishment are not fun fun.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:09 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,543,306 times
Quote:
I have nothing against someone who chooses to believe in a god. What bothers me is when that belief or religion is such a controlling factor in that person's life that they cannot see anything else. I find that this is often the case with SDA church members, even to the extent of being detrimental to their children in many ways.

The SDA church's insidious ways scare me. I think back to what I had to go through as a child living in a family who are SDAs and I truly do not know how I managed to escape. I grew up in an atmosphere of oppression, fear, retribution, punishment, and abuse, all in the name of that church.

If there were a god, I would fall to my knees every day and thank him for allowing me to escape. Nobody else in my family has ever left that church; I am the only one. As a result I am completely ostracized from my family. I have nobody in the entire world except for my two wonderful children. For those people who scornfully say I'm just being rebellious -- would you really cut yourself off from your entire family at the young age of 18 just because you wanted to rebel?

I left my parents' home two days after I turned 18 and I never went back. If I had stayed I shudder to think what my life and my children's lives would have been like. In my opinion it is a cult, plain and simple. It has some good aspects to it (such as healthful living) but they are far FAR outweighed by the evil.

I agree with Lindsey. Get out of that church before it's too late. Since you obviously want to remain a believer in Christianity, please find a religion that is not so mentally oppressive. There are many to choose from, you can do so much better than the SDAs.
Dear RoaminRed and others:

I can relate to what you're saying completely. I also went through the same time thing; not only did I leave the religion, but I moved away over 2,000 miles because just simply "leaving" wouldn't have been enough. I would have physically been forced to go back. This was over 25 years ago. As hard as it is now, I guarantee you that things will get better and better for you as you get stronger and form a life and identity of your own. Things might even work out with your family, but you have to give it time and see where the tide turns. I could go on with my experiences, but I won't, as I doubt there is anything that I could say that you probably don't know for yourself as you've lived it too. If it's any consolation, as I mature and get older, I am finding more and more people with the same type stories and situations. As unbelievable as they might be to others, I know that to those of us who escaped that religion or cult (your call), none of this is fiction; it's all too real. The good news is that things will get better and the first step was getting out. Wishing all of you the very best.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,685,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Dear RoaminRed and others:

I can relate to what you're saying completely. I also went through the same time thing; not only did I leave the religion, but I moved away over 2,000 miles because just simply "leaving" wouldn't have been enough. I would have physically been forced to go back. This was over 25 years ago. As hard as it is now, I guarantee you that things will get better and better for you as you get stronger and form a life and identity of your own. Things might even work out with your family, but you have to give it time and see where the tide turns. I could go on with my experiences, but I won't, as I doubt there is anything that I could say that you probably don't know for yourself as you've lived it too. If it's any consolation, as I mature and get older, I am finding more and more people with the same type stories and situations. As unbelievable as they might be to others, I know that to those of us who escaped that religion or cult (your call), none of this is fiction; it's all too real. The good news is that things will get better and the first step was getting out. Wishing all of you the very best.

Um...I'm 45. My experiences were years ago and ended when I was 18 when I left my parents' home and moved 3000 miles away. I'm far and away past that "first step", I have a great identity, and no -- things will never work out with my relatives (I no longer consider them my "family", they're simply relatives).

Old 03-26-2008, 05:38 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,543,306 times
Quote:
Um...I'm 45. My experiences were years ago and ended when I was 18 when I left my parents' home and moved 3000 miles away. I'm far and away past that "first step", I have a great identity, and no -- things will never work out with my relatives (I no longer consider them my "family", they're simply relatives).

Wishing you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality