U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,124 times

Advertisements

hi, I've become an Adventist in my early 20's-God guided me to the truth
the church holds. While involved i"ve seen many people who have struggled w/Legalism-i think you struggle w/that also. You just need to have own relationship w/God--start there. Don't worry about being judged. There is nothing wrong w/wearing a little makeup my ears are pierced too-i don't usually wear jewerly. I watch i do. Your husband needs to leg go too. If he wants to go he should go. Stay home and
seek God--get connected w/other christians in your area. No doubt
the things we've learned will come to pass, but you should not be so
overburdened. God bless you, love3in1

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
I've been 7th day Adventist all my life and I can't stand going to church, I wear make-up and my ears are pierced. Should I find another religion? I feel guilty because my husband also grew up in the church and I feel that I'm influencing him negatively because he won't go to church without me. I just can't seem to change the way I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 721 times
Default I am uncertain as to why you go to church, is it to pursue the things of the world or the bible for your salvation. I t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
Can you give me some examples please.

By the way: I'm a SDA member and I wear make-up, jewelry, I have a tattoo, three piercings, and I like meet ;-). I celebrate B-days and we have a get together at X-mas. Hmmm what else?

Old 06-15-2013, 02:03 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,377,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I agree with everything you said. I have no problem with believers, but when their belief causes problems in their lives or the lives of others, something needs to be done.

Sorry to hear about your family. Maybe one day you'll at least get to talk to them. SDA's are very stubborn though, so who knows?

I would say Jehova's Witnesses qualify for cult status. I know somebody who was one and you'd be surprised the kind of things his mom didn't allow in the house. He wasn't allowed to play any video games that involved sorcery or free-roam shooting games like Grand Theft Auto. According to her, they are all "from Satan".
My, oh my!!! I could show you some really stubborn people that are not SDAs. Too much generalizations going on in this thread, especially from people who know nothing about the denomination.

Concerning why you say that JWs are a cult, I can show you lots of Christians, all from different denominations, and they would not allow any of that stuff in their homes. I know plenty who would not allow any Harry Potter stuff in their homes. There is far too much generalizations in here and I am sick to death of people who talk about denominations when they have no idea what they are even talking about.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:10 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,377,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Ok, and many of the Adventists I know have great health, and have the whole mind, body, spirit balance everyone wants but few have.
I personally know very few over weight Adventists.
Want to see some overweight Adventists? Come to where I live. LOLOLOL Half the Adventists are diabetic but love their sweets, all the while making a big deal about eating only "clean" meat. I will tell you that some of the most unhealthy people I know happen to be SDAs, and that is not to say that most are like that, just in my area. I also know plenty that lead a very healthy lifestyle and are nowhere near being overweight. I am overweight, though mine came from cancer treatments a bit over a decade ago, but I am not diabetic.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM

2,820 posts, read 2,661,664 times
run away from any system that burdens you. but make sure you run into the hand of God.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:09 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,327,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
I've been 7th day Adventist all my life and I can't stand going to church, I wear make-up and my ears are pierced. Should I find another religion? I feel guilty because my husband also grew up in the church and I feel that I'm influencing him negatively because he won't go to church without me. I just can't seem to change the way I feel.
I would suggest finding a good Baptist or Bible church.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 3,948,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I have no idea what 7th Day Adventist belief but it you're not allowed to wear make up get your ears pierced, I'd have to question that. The Bible doe not teach things like this.
You are right on the makeup, but the Bible most definately prohibits ear piercing and other forms of body modification like tattoos. It is right there in Leviticus with the anti-gay stuff and other laws.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,327,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
You are right on the makeup, but the Bible most definately prohibits ear piercing and other forms of body modification like tattoos. It is right there in Leviticus with the anti-gay stuff and other laws.
Where? Leviticus says nothing of the sort. Make sure you read it in context.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 3,948,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Where? Leviticus says nothing of the sort. Make sure you read it in context.
Really, this part about tattoos doesn't appear to need context to understand. Leviticus 19:28
'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

So getting a tattoo is just as bad as being gay according to the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or