U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,182,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Wow I couldn't go to a church that wouldn't allow me to wear my jewelry...I love my diamonds too much for that.
What did I do with that eye of the needle? I know I had it just a moment ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 06:00 AM

125 posts, read 423,245 times
Talking to my Husband is a good idea, but I don't want him to feel deceived about my character. One of the things he loved about me is that we were "equally yolked" spiritually.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,078,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duff30329 View Post
Do's and Don'ts within any church is their way of exerting control.
If you feel guilty, get out!
Church should not be a war of conflict. I dropped out of organized religion some time ago and I have never felt regret, in fact, I felt relief.
Besides,,God is within and no church on earth can speak with any more authority than your own personal relationship with God.
Visit new churches where you feel comfortable and folks don't put a guilt trip on you.
My rule is: "if in doubt, don't!!!"
Good Luck
I couldn't have put it better. I stepped away from church, (i.e. organized religion), a few years ago, myself, and felt much the better for it. Enough was enough, and I don't miss it. It doesn't stop me from believing in my Creator, but the two are separable, contrary to what many think.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,078,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
Talking to my Husband is a good idea, but I don't want him to feel deceived about my character. One of the things he loved about me is that we were "equally yolked" spiritually.
Are you not allowed to change your mind, spiritually speaking? That has nothing to do with character, (are you not still the same person?). We are challenged in our beliefs throughout our lives. If you are attending church out of obligation to your husband, then you are still deceiving him, if you will, because he thinks you still believe the same way. You cannot change the way you feel about something, and there is no reason for you to pretend. I agree with the other poster. Your husband may have his own questions, about the church. Sit down with him, and have a good heart to heart talk. You might be surprised. And, even if he doesn't agree with you, hopefully your relationship is such, that he will understand that this is a personal matter, and that he has no right to be disapproving. You are, after all, a grown woman, not a child. Just my opinion!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,648,624 times
Justone321, I guess the question is do you believe in then basic beliefs of your church? Or are you just going through the motions? Do you have a relationship with God? Are you just feeling a little rebelious, are you questioning your faith, or just the contraints of your church?
I have always admired the Adventists I have known because they seemed to really live their faith.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 AM

Default Well Spoken/Written

CelticLady-those were indeed the best words I've read this morning. Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Are you not allowed to change your mind, spiritually speaking? That has nothing to do with character, (are you not still the same person?). We are challenged in our beliefs throughout our lives. If you are attending church out of obligation to your husband, then you are still deceiving him, if you will, because he thinks you still believe the same way. You cannot change the way you feel about something, and there is no reason for you to pretend. I agree with the other poster. Your husband may have his own questions, about the church. Sit down with him, and have a good heart to heart talk. You might be surprised. And, even if he doesn't agree with you, hopefully your relationship is such, that he will understand that this is a personal matter, and that he has no right to be disapproving. You are, after all, a grown woman, not a child. Just my opinion!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:04 AM

Spunky1- good questions, I do believe in the basic beliefs of the Adventist Church, I do have a unique and personl relationship with God. I have a problem with certain rules that I believe the church imposes on it's members and that have no biblical backing. ie. no makeup, no jewelry, no dancing, vegetarianism etc.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,648,624 times
Juststone, is it required to be a vegetarian? I've often wondered? And I didn't realize you weren't allowed to wear any makeup.
What happens if you wear make up? You don't have to answer if I am being too personal.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 AM

1,406 posts, read 4,585,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
Spunky1- good questions, I do believe in the basic beliefs of the Adventist Church, I do have a unique and personl relationship with God. I have a problem with certain rules that I believe the church imposes on it's members and that have no biblical backing. ie. no makeup, no jewelry, no dancing, vegetarianism etc.
I wonder if some of these rules are just those of your church, not necessarily the 7th Day Adventist as a whole. I worked with a woman of your faith and she wore some makeup and jewelry. She was very faithful to her beliefs, didn't participate in work-related things on Saturday until something like 6 p.m. -- and her father had been a minister & missionary.

There are lots of churches who have a problem with dancing, but I think that's mostly on where most people would go to dance...and some 'dances' leave little to the imagination in its representation.

adventist.org states that vegetarianism is not a requirement.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:36 AM

It is not REQUIRED to be a vege. except if your eating at the church. It's a part of Adventist Health Principles. Nothing happens as a consequence of wearing make-up but it's against the Adventist Principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality