U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:14 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,343,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
Many Adventist believe that Ellen White was a modern day prophet, like moses or abraham. Ellemae- Why do you say "plagurized Works" of Ellen White? Any literature from Ellen White has always been credited to her estate.
This is not my opinion...this was established fact about 10 years ago...Ellen White copied much of her work from books that had already been published...as in they were not original to her. For many thinkers in the church, they started to ask IF Ellen White is a prophet then why would she need to copy work from other authors? Of course some fall back on Plaguairsm wasn't illegal at the time...

Of course I am of the opinion that Ellen White suffered from Temporal Lobe Epilepsy which would mean she would have to find a way to generate these works...The theory has been kicked around alot and also suggested in the case of Joan of Arc for one.

Because Ellen White is so central to the Adventist church, read up yourself because its not something they want to talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,632,246 times
I have a question to any Adventist that would answer. I have always wondered if Adventists think they are the one true church, meaning do they think other faiths are not Christians? Any insight is appreciated.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:07 AM

769 posts, read 1,933,167 times
Adventists do believe that they have the truth, however that does not equate to believing that other denominations are not Christians. Some - not all - Adventists believe that many people will be saved that are not Adventists, and even some who are not even Christians, as long as they have lived up to what they know to the best of their abilities.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:16 AM

ellemaew, Ok, thank you for explaining it.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
Many Adventist believe that Ellen White was a modern day prophet, like moses or abraham. Ellemae- Why do you say "plagurized Works" of Ellen White? Any literature from Ellen White has always been credited to her estate.

Part of the church manual says that you MUST believe Ellen White was a prophet...

In fact about 10 years ago in light of the discovery that Ellen White had plaguarized much of her work, there was talk of making people sign a statement that they believed in Ellen White as a prophet, of course starting with the people who worked for the church. My Father who had been a minister was concerned that he could not sign the statement. I don't think that ever came to pass however.

My Father had gone to school with many men who went on to be high up in the church so we heard alot of things like this that were not part of the awareness of the congregations.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 PM

125 posts, read 422,013 times
Wow that's pretty scary. Forcing people to sign something in order to continue a debatable belief? Goodness. Talk about the end of days...

Old 05-08-2007, 03:32 PM

To my knowledge that never ended up happening, it was discussed within the governing body of the church.

I have heard Adventists say that they are the only true church and others are not Christians but I don't think thats an official belief, I have also known alot that would not make such a judgemental statement about others.

They do however teach in schools that in the time of the bible, the Jews were 'Gods chosen people" however after the Jews crucified Jesus, that ceased to be true...AND then when Adventists came on the scene, they became Gods chosen people, that is something that is a so called official belief.

Another official belief is that while there will be other religions in heaven...it will only be people who were not given the chance to become Adventists and did not. They say if you turn away from Gods chosen people then you can't go to heaven...

Being the trouble maker that I am I had a hard time swallowing sweeping statements like this, since they so often pulled out the bible to find fault with other religions, I asked that they show me where IN THE BIBLE this statement was made, they were not able to. Often I found that statements like this were made and they were unable to support them with the bible, thats when they fell back on Ellen White.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:32 PM

Like I said I know quite a few Adventist and admired them highly. But not one had ever mentioned this Ellen White person. I somehow heard of it and asked a few of them about her. They seemed uncomfortable discussing it. It does make me somewhat leary of the religion just based on this. . .

Last edited by spunky1; 05-08-2007 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-08-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Like I said I know quite a few Adventist and admired them highly. But know one had ever mentioned this Ellen White person. I somehow heard of it and asked a few of them about her. They seemed uncomfortable discussing it. It does make me somewhat leary of the religion just based on this. . .

They are uncomfortable because they know all the things I have mentioned...proof that she stole her writings from someone else...if god was handing her this information to pass on then why would she need to pull it from someone elses writings?? If Ellen White isn't really a prophet then the whole thing kind of collapses...The more iffy Ellen White looks the closer to Mormons, Adventists look. One thing my bible teachers were always quick to point out about Mormons is that Joseph Smith is not a true prophet...

I know alot of really kind and caring Adventists...I am close friends of the family of the man who is the head of the church in the US...I honestly have never known anyone as accepting and loving as they are. They have taken me in and treated me like family in spite of the fact I don't live my life the way they believe you should. They minister to others NOT by bashing people over the head with their beliefs but by living life and leading by example...they love without reservation, like they believe god would want them to, like they believe jesus did while he was here.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:51 PM

I agree about the Adventists. If you don't mind saying, who is the head of the Adventist in the US? Don't the Adventist originate here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality