U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:59 PM

194 posts, read 660,328 times
Wow Donna......I'm sorry that you had to make this experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 05:10 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,107,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
Wow Donna......I'm sorry that you had to make this experience.
Thank you, Skittle. Honestly, it's all good now. What that experience of growing in the religion has taught me more than anything else is how controlling any religion can be and how we must all guard against being controlled by a religion (and the religion's particular doctrine) vs. having our own relationship with God or whatever divine being we believe in. Thank you for your post. Wishing you a most blessed and happy new year 2008.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:18 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,016,863 times
This thread, among other similar stories, makes wonder if a good barometer of a "church" could be the condition of it's children.
Afterall, children held ( hold ) a special place in our saviors heart.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:27 PM

337 posts, read 542,701 times
Adventist Children Are Highly Indoctrinated Into The Church.many Leave As Soon As They Become Adults. To Not Wear Jewlery Just At Church, Would Put One In A Hypercritical/deceitful Situation. Shouldn't We Strive To Be Honest With Our Christian Representation? An Adventist On Another Thread Argued That She Never Heard Of The "no Jewlery" Standard.she Probably Never Heard About The Beastly Catholic Church,either, They,in The Traditional Church,despise.i Loved The Church Because They Wanted To Honor God By "keeping" The Sabbath (not Possible, imo), But Like All Man -made Or Should I Say Woman- Made Doctrines,(that Is, Ellen G. White,foundress, "white Washed Revelations")they Put Unreasonable,non-scriptural Demands On The Sheep.they Use Mrs White's Writings And Interpretations As A Guide Thru The Bible. If They Say It's Any Other Way,they Are Not Being Truthful Or They Are In A Progressive (heretic )church.

Last edited by JANA MANIA; 01-06-2008 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-07-2008, 12:23 AM

194 posts, read 660,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
An Adventist On Another Thread Argued That She Never Heard Of The "no Jewlery" Standard.
Is it possible that you are talking about me? If yes, then I must say that you have twisted my statement. And there was no arguing, remember ;-). And if you are talking about me again........yes I have heard about the "Beastly Catholic Church". But that even before I became an Adventist. Well I was a Catholic my whole life ;-).

It is sad that you put all the Adventist in the same bucket. Very sad. You seem to be a very negative person from that what I've read so far. I'm pregnant and your statements really make me upset/sad so I better should start ignoring them.

In Christ............

Last edited by Skittle; 01-07-2008 at 12:35 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 01:48 AM

337 posts, read 542,701 times
hey,i don't know if i was talking about you ,really,it was not personal. i did not put all adventist together. i said some churchs are progressive, but if they are are , are considered heretical by traditional adventist churchs/teachings. many sheep in progressive adventist churchs have no idea what the church roots are and what is taught. i don't understand why you're upset. if you were the person who said she wore jewlery to the adventist church and so does the pastor's wife, i'm telling you this is not a traditional church.if i sound negative,it may have something to do with my personality, but also, i have to tell what is truth.i was an adult sabbath school teacher,in a traditional church. i too grew up catholic(although,i was born a jew).many former catholics are members of the adventist church. you know catholics are not evangilized much as youngsters and are very suceptable to the call,(whether to the adventist church or some other).if you want to find out more than what you're taught at the church, there are forums (google) with former adventists who have found that the church is not lining up to scripture. but as i said,there are wonderful teachings in the church and great holy people. feel free to pm me,anytime.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:31 AM

364 posts, read 1,143,947 times
I am very familiar with the SDA church. Have family members that go there.

As stated above, I have met both the nice people and the really tight, narrow-minded ones. The few that are "tight" are the ones that give the church such a bad reputation.

I guess it is the same in every other protestant church here in the US. I have met Mormons and Muslims that are wonderful human beings. On the other hand, they also have people in their groups that are difficult to deal with.

ANY church will always go through that. It is absolutely impossible to have a church with people that only think one way.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,516 times
Default stop trying to live for man

I've been reading many of these blog entries and I notice the problem that many of you have with the seventh day adventist church. In many instances your dislike for the church was caused by personal family experiences or because they judge you for your physical appearance and as such you have vowed never to return to the church. While I sympathise with your various unfortunate experiences I humbly urge you to stop dwelling on man's expectation of you for I will guarantee that no matter what religion or denomination you are apart of, there will be problems because man is unlike God and thus imperfect. Do not allow 'man' to keep you away from church for it is God that we answer to not man. Remember that Christianity is not about convenience, so yes it will call us to give up many of the things that we like but all these things will pass away. Dont allow what people have said to you to determine your spirituality or lack thereof, go directly to the word of God for yourself and pray for understanding of the scriptures and believe me God will reveal to you that which you need to know.....your salvation is yours to claim , you will not be able to blame your family or church members when you come before God on that great day. I therefore implore you to stop bickering about who wears jewelry and who has piercings and who has tattoos, whether or not you have these things will be of no consequence if you do not know Christ for yourself. Take that step, say "Lord Im ready to serve you and do away with these trivial things"... I will ensure to pray for all of you as we all continue to face our struggles with our own imperfections.

I am a seventh-day adventist, I have not always been and I still struggle in being the Christian I should be but I will never leave my church because although I may not have the approval of all its members, I only seek the approval of God.

I hope this message will minister to the heart of at least one person who reads it......GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 AM

10,592 posts, read 21,375,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just me123 View Post

I am a seventh-day adventist, I have not always been and I still struggle in being the Christian I should be but I will never leave my church because although I may not have the approval of all its members, I only seek the approval of God.

I hope this message will minister to the heart of at least one person who reads it......GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!
I grew up in the church, my Father was a minister. One thing I learned is the converts are usually the most fervrent.

I hope you escape before its too late.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 AM

2,238 posts, read 6,148,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I wonder if some of these rules are just those of your church, not necessarily the 7th Day Adventist as a whole. I worked with a woman of your faith and she wore some makeup and jewelry. She was very faithful to her beliefs, didn't participate in work-related things on Saturday until something like 6 p.m. -- and her father had been a minister & missionary.

There are lots of churches who have a problem with dancing, but I think that's mostly on where most people would go to dance...and some 'dances' leave little to the imagination in its representation.

adventist.org states that vegetarianism is not a requirement.
You won't get excommunicated for wearing jewelry, makeup, and not being a vegetarian, but if you do those things, the holier-than-thous in the church will tsk tsk and whisper loudly behind your back. You'll be seen as sinful and less worthy than everyone else in that church.

It's quite like vicious high school kids in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality