U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,650,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I have a question to any Adventist that would answer. I have always wondered if Adventists think they are the one true church, meaning do they think other faiths are not Christians? Any insight is appreciated.
I was raised to believe that yes, they are the One True Church and the chosen people of god. I was also taught that the pope is the antichrist and the Catholic church is pure evil.

I was taught a lot of other things that were complete BS too. Thankfully, none of the brainwashing took.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:25 PM

10,716 posts, read 30,864,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
You won't get excommunicated for wearing jewelry, makeup, and not being a vegetarian, but if you do those things, the holier-than-thous in the church will tsk tsk and whisper loudly behind your back. You'll be seen as sinful and less worthy than everyone else in that church.

It's quite like vicious high school kids in that respect.
Refer to the SDA handbook, it expressly against the rules to wear jewelry. That is said in so many words. Not so much the vegetarian thing, they will just go on and on about how Ellen White says certain things in her health message, of course things that she stole from other authors we now know.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I was raised to believe that yes, they are the One True Church and the chosen people of god. I was also taught that the pope is the antichrist and the Catholic church is pure evil.

I was taught a lot of other things that were complete BS too. Thankfully, none of the brainwashing took.
So you were an SDA as well?, WOW we do have alot in common, I barely escaped with my brain and reasoning intact as well.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:44 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,650,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Refer to the SDA handbook, it expressly against the rules to wear jewelry. That is said in so many words. Not so much the vegetarian thing, they will just go on and on about how Ellen White says certain things in her health message, of course things that she stole from other authors we now know.
Yes, I was raised in that cult, I know exactly how they operate.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,038,112 times
Quote:
That is not just in the SDA book. It is stated in the Bible as well that women shouldn't wear jewelry. It is also stated that women shouldn't do fancy stuff with their hair such as braids. The reason why, I don't know. Strange thing is people say they've read the Bible, but they miss that part.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was raised in that cult, I know exactly how they operate.
For some reason, I thought you were raised in a Catholic cult (Funny how the word "cult" doesn't even need to follow the word Catholic.).

Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
That is not just in the SDA book. It is stated in the Bible as well that women shouldn't wear jewelry. It is also stated that women shouldn't do fancy stuff with their hair such as braids. The reason why, I don't know. Strange thing is people say they've read the Bible, but they miss that part.
Well there are alot of things written in the bible that Adventists CHOOSE to ignore. I do know they took this particular belief from when the Children of Israel took their jewelry and made a golden calf and worshipped it. Their punishment was never being allowed to wear jewelry. I used to tell the good people of the church that I personally NEVER made a golden calf out of my jewelry AND at that point didn't even have any made of a precious metal, it was all custome jewelry. They didn't appreciate thta from me at all.

I also remember that women aren't supposed to be in the Tabernacle during their cycle. All kinds of things that SDA's pick and choose what they will pay attention to and not.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
All kinds of things that SDA's pick and choose what they will pay attention to and not.
That isn't just a SDA thing. These days, if somebody followed the Bible completely, they'd be on death row.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
That isn't just a SDA thing. These days, if somebody followed the Bible completely, they'd be on death row.
I know what you mean but I can't comment on other churches with any reliability because I was raised exclusively in the SDA church.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean but I can't comment on other churches with any reliability because I was raised exclusively in the SDA church.
I was raised Baptist. Not the southern kind of Baptist though. They do things different from other Baptists. So do Black Baptists (I grew up as one.). 80% of the church service is singing. We blacks love our music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality