Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:49 PM

125 posts, read 471,883 times

Advertisements

I've been 7th day Adventist all my life and I can't stand going to church, I wear make-up and my ears are pierced. Should I find another religion? I feel guilty because my husband also grew up in the church and I feel that I'm influencing him negatively because he won't go to church without me. I just can't seem to change the way I feel.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:00 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
I've been 7th day Adventist all my life and I can't stand going to church, I wear make-up and my ears are pierced. Should I find another religion? I feel guilty because my husband also grew up in the church and I feel that I'm influencing him negatively because he won't go to church without me. I just can't seem to change the way I feel.
I have no idea what 7th Day Adventist belief but it you're not allowed to wear make up get your ears pierced, I'd have to question that. The Bible doe not teach things like this.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:10 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,550 times
Justone,

If I were in your situation, I'd do some serious praying about this matter, then let the Holy Spirit guide your heart and mind into what is right for you to do. Since you've been 7th Day Adventist all your life, maybe you should visit some other churches and see where you might hear truth and feel comfortable. Maybe go to some websites and read over the statement of faith (or whatever the denomination might call what they believe). Then search for some in your area...you never know where that may lead! Just don't give up on all churches!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,270 times
Well, first of all, I would discuss this issue with your husband, and find out how he feels. You may both feel the same way. Next, perform an internal value survey. Find out whether you really believe the tenets of the faith. If there are conflicts between your values and the tenets of the faith, then start looking around. This is precisely what I did a number of years ago. I found what I was looking for.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
you're not allowed to wear make up get your ears pierced, I'd have to question that. The Bible doe not teach things like this.
Well, there are some disapproving references in Isaiah about women in gaudy attire and jewelry, but that’s not specifically what he was condemning. Additionally, modesty is central to all Christian faiths.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Well, there are some disapproving references in Isaiah about women in gaudy attire and jewelry, but that’s not specifically what he was condemning. Additionally, modesty is central to all Christian faiths.

Do you believe pierced earrings are immodest? Or wearing make-up? (I'm not talking about bar-hopping kind of makeup...)

Old 05-06-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Do you believe pierced earrings are immodest? Or wearing make-up? (I'm not talking about bar-hopping kind of makeup...)
No, but some religions define modesty very strictly. I prefer that men and women leave their bodies alone as far as piercing is concerned. That includes earrings, but it is a personal taste issue and not a morality issue with me. Tasteful makeup is fine with me.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:37 PM

85 posts, read 405,797 times
Do's and Don'ts within any church is their way of exerting control.
If you feel guilty, get out!
Church should not be a war of conflict. I dropped out of organized religion some time ago and I have never felt regret, in fact, I felt relief.
Besides,,God is within and no church on earth can speak with any more authority than your own personal relationship with God.
Visit new churches where you feel comfortable and folks don't put a guilt trip on you.
My rule is: "if in doubt, don't!!!"
Good Luck

Old 05-06-2007, 08:54 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,924 times
It's been awhile since I researched this "church", but I can tell you that their theology is way off. It's simply not Biblical. My husband and I are really attracted to the Acts 29 Network of churches, which have a commitment to the Bible and a commitment to living in today's culture. They have a website and churches all over the nation.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:16 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
No, but some religions define modesty very strictly. I prefer that men and women leave their bodies alone as far as piercing is concerned. That includes earrings, but it is a personal taste issue and not a morality issue with me. Tasteful makeup is fine with me.
Wow I couldn't go to a church that wouldn't allow me to wear my jewelry...I love my diamonds too much for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality