Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:00 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,949,072 times

Advertisements

If God is a singular entity, and it has to live forever, and has existed forever. Would it not eventually go insane? I mean existence is a long freaking time to hang around if you get my drift! Everything it creates is really just a manifestation of its own self. Things to keep it interested for a while. Maybe our existence is just a way that God escapes the reality of its own existence. Born on this planet with no knowledge of any truths. A temporary reprieve from the truth it has always known, and will always know.

Moderator cut:

Deleted due to noncompliance with PG13 posting.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-07-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:06 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I'm not even sure if there's such a thing as infinity when you consider the fact that Einstein proved that time itself is not a constant that proceeds at a never changing rate. Religious beliefs often suggest that God is outside of time and space but that's such a vague concept that I don't even know what it means.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,949,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm not even sure if there's such a thing as infinity when you consider the fact that Einstein proved that time itself is not a constant that proceeds at a never changing rate. Religious beliefs often suggest that God is outside of time and space but that's such a vague concept that I don't even know what it means.

There always has been something, otherwise nothing would exist. Something can not come from nothing. The "it or whatever" that has always been is what we feeble humans think of as God.The big bang if I am not mistaken was supposed to be a singular entity that expaned into the universe. Before that we humans can only scratch our heads.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
There always has been something, otherwise nothing would exist. Something can not come from nothing. The "it or whatever" that has always been is what we feeble humans think of as God.The big bang if I am not mistaken was supposed to be a singular entity that expaned into the universe. Before that we humans can only scratch our heads.
If 'nothing' came first, then 'nothing' was in fact 'something', but in that case, 'nothing' could not be 'nothing' (ie, by existing when there was no other content extant in the universe, 'nothing' by its very nature becomes 'something' and ceases to exist).

Logically, the act of existing negates any lack of existance- therefore, 'nothing' does not exist.

In conclusion....

Everything is 'something' -- there is no such concept as 'nothing', since by the very nature of its existance, 'nothing' itself cannot exist.

Ow.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Infinity is real in mathematics as it's part of Cantor's set theory. Some still refuse to accept Cantor's ideas, but I think it's generally accepted in math. Infinities just seem to not exist in real space or time.

As for "beyond space-time" it's not that vague of a notion. Even some atheists I've read indicate that there might be things beyond space-time. I believe the M-Brane hypothesis indicates our Universe is caused by the collisions of M-Branes in a multidimensional... Okay I don't entirely understand it, but there is some kind of mathematical basis for the idea. (If no experimental support that I know of)

Or imagine the Universe as a black balloon with say glitter dots on it when deflated. As you inflate it the dots get further from each other as the galaxies get further through the expansion of the Universe. What's outside space-time is like what's outside the balloon. Now from "inside" the balloon maybe it seems there is no "outside." (Yes the analogy is flawed in many ways. From "inside" the balloon you still might see shifts of lighting even though I tried to reduce that by saying it's black. Even then though inside the balloon you could notice temperature variances. Still the analogy is not meant to be perfect and I admit my grasp of cosmology is probably too imperfect to think of the best analogy possible) Anyway you can not really test the "outside" from the "inside" of the balloon, but this does not make the outside unreal.

This concept is basically intolerable to science for a variety of reasons. One important reason being that the idea of something existing, but being untestable, is useless to science as science concerns testing hypothesis. If it's useless to science many scientists are just going to prefer to dismiss it or ignore the whole idea. I am not really burdened by that kind of "scientism" so am free to consider all kinds of unverifiable things if I so choose. (Although generally I think the things unverifiable to science should "make sense" or "be supportable" in terms of logic, math, human experience, morality, or a few others)

Old 10-08-2009, 01:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Default how long is infinity?

Quote:
If God ....
Depends which font size you select

Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Infinity is real in mathematics as it's part of Cantor's set theory. Some still refuse to accept Cantor's ideas, but I think it's generally accepted in math. Infinities just seem to not exist in real space or time.

As for "beyond space-time" it's not that vague of a notion. Even some atheists I've read indicate that there might be things beyond space-time. I believe the M-Brane hypothesis indicates our Universe is caused by the collisions of M-Branes in a multidimensional... Okay I don't entirely understand it, but there is some kind of mathematical basis for the idea. (If no experimental support that I know of)

Or imagine the Universe as a black balloon with say glitter dots on it when deflated. As you inflate it the dots get further from each other as the galaxies get further through the expansion of the Universe. What's outside space-time is like what's outside the balloon. Now from "inside" the balloon maybe it seems there is no "outside." (Yes the analogy is flawed in many ways. From "inside" the balloon you still might see shifts of lighting even though I tried to reduce that by saying it's black. Even then though inside the balloon you could notice temperature variances. Still the analogy is not meant to be perfect and I admit my grasp of cosmology is probably too imperfect to think of the best analogy possible) Anyway you can not really test the "outside" from the "inside" of the balloon, but this does not make the outside unreal.

This concept is basically intolerable to science for a variety of reasons. One important reason being that the idea of something existing, but being untestable, is useless to science as science concerns testing hypothesis. If it's useless to science many scientists are just going to prefer to dismiss it or ignore the whole idea. I am not really burdened by that kind of "scientism" so am free to consider all kinds of unverifiable things if I so choose. (Although generally I think the things unverifiable to science should "make sense" or "be supportable" in terms of logic, math, human experience, morality, or a few others)
Things that are unverifiable are no better than any claim by anyone of anything. Anyone can claim anything that is unverifiable, but it is the same as there being no claim at all because verifying its validity or truth value is impossible.

So it's really not a good idea to believe something that cannot be demonstrated, observed or otherwise verified as true, because it's no different than believing absolutely every fabricated tale anyone tells you about anything that you cannot go see for yourself. You may as well believe King Arthur's round table stories as told by Disney are accurate, just because you can't verify them as false. Or more comparatively, you may as well believe the Islamic stories of Muhammad if you take biblical stories as truth without verification, since you've used the same method of verification (e.g. no verification at all).

And how long is infinity? by definition it cannot be measured, so the question is invalid.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Thomas R. wrote:
Quote:
Or imagine the Universe as a black balloon with say glitter dots on it when deflated. As you inflate it the dots get further from each other as the galaxies get further through the expansion of the Universe. What's outside space-time is like what's outside the balloon. Now from "inside" the balloon maybe it seems there is no "outside."
My understanding of the universe is that it isn't expanding into anything even though it is expanding. That's because space and time itself do not exist outside of the universe, the universe is everything.
I do agree with the points you made about the origins of the universe though. We simply don't know what caused the big bang and all we can do at this point is just speculate.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Things that are unverifiable are no better than any claim by anyone of anything. Anyone can claim anything that is unverifiable, but it is the same as there being no claim at all because verifying its validity or truth value is impossible.

So it's really not a good idea to believe something that cannot be demonstrated, observed or otherwise verified as true, because it's no different than believing absolutely every fabricated tale anyone tells you about anything that you cannot go see for yourself. You may as well believe King Arthur's round table stories as told by Disney are accurate, just because you can't verify them as false. Or more comparatively, you may as well believe the Islamic stories of Muhammad if you take biblical stories as truth without verification, since you've used the same method of verification (e.g. no verification at all)
My error. I should have said non-falsifiable not non-verifiable. It could be shown depictions of King Arthur are false through archaeology or what have you. Or, more controversially, that the Book of Mormon is wrong at least in terms of history as there was no Pre-Columbian Jewish settlement like it describes.

Things like other dimensions or God or whatever are more non-falsifiable than just non-verifiable.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
If God is a singular entity, and it has to live forever, and has existed forever. Would it not eventually go insane? I mean existence is a long freaking time to hang around if you get my drift! Everything it creates is really just a manifestation of its own self. Things to keep it interested for a while. Maybe our existence is just a way that God escapes the reality of its own existence. Born on this planet with no knowledge of any truths. A temporary reprieve from the truth it has always known, and will always know.

Moderator cut:

Deleted due to noncompliance with PG13 posting.
an attempt to reply to a thought repeated ad nauseam, and a screen name suggesting otherwise..

maybe the op's question belongs somewhere in literature ... if that's not off topic, as well.

how long is infinity? for whom?
cui bono, after trying. trying so hard.

literature nobel prize 2009 - Google News

"there are people you can trust.." that would be a worthwhile beginning of any infinity. imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality