Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:58 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times

Advertisements

ScienceDaily (Jan. 21, 2005) — BLOOMINGTON, Ind.

Scientists from Indiana University Bloomington and seven other institutions have unearthed skeletal fossils of a human ancestor believed to have lived about 4.5 million years ago. The fossils, described in this week's Nature (Jan. 20), will help scientists piece together the mysterious transformation of primitive chimp-like hominids into more human forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 05:07 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I think you'll find that as easily refuted as all the previous evidence. It is all supposition, invention, unprovable, no - one has seen a chimp change into a human and all the rest.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:31 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Dont'cha just love it?

Perhaps the more convincing accumulation of knowledge is simply that entirely different disciplines that have no anti-Christian agenda are all finding information that dovetails into the findings of other, scientifically unrelated disciplines. Geology vs. biology vs. nuclear physics.

New methods of dating artifacts, for instance, has arisen from the practical application of newly discovered nuc-physics processes, or the means to evaluate ever-more-microscopic and once-elusive items and processes.

Then, some bright open-minded lad or lassie thinks: "Hey! This might be useful in dating a certain type of artifact". He/she tests it against known items, or those dated by other means, and voila! Then, an analysis of the exact technical rationale behind the process indicates why it's so much more accurate, and so on.

The wheel keeps turning. Knowledge advances. The darkness of oblivious blindered dogmo-theism receeds.

And then, with predictable reliability, the always defensive fundies unearth some ancient criticism of the process from 20 - 30 years ago, when it was in it's infancy. And thus, they assert, it's ALL nonsense, even the latest fully cross-supported findings.

Right. As some have said before: "Ignorance is easy; Knowledge Takes Effort".

Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
What's interesting is that creationists will use this to try and 'prove' their beliefs.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:45 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
Creationist also seem to have this misguided assumption that evolution has anything to do with whether there is or isn't a god. I really think they're wasting their time here fighting a pointless and unwinnable war.

Even if (calm down, I said "if" ) evolution was proven to be all wrong, it wouldn't make their beliefs automatically correct by default.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:33 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I think you'll find that as easily refuted as all the previous evidence. It is all supposition, invention, unprovable, no - one has seen a chimp change into a human and all the rest.

Don't you guys just love these Creationsists? They use science and technology all day everyday: the wakeup to a digital alarm clock; they microwave their coffee and croissant; they drive to work in an automobile with an internal combustion, fuel-injected engine--and maybe even a GPS system; they make a doctor's appointment for an x-ray on their cell phone.
THEN: they get on their personal computer and post about how the science of carbon-dating and evolution is bogus and groundless.
Peace.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Don't you guys just love these Creationsists? They use science and technology all day everyday: the wakeup to a digital alarm clock; they microwave their coffee and croissant; they drive to work in an automobile with an internal combustion, fuel-injected engine--and maybe even a GPS system; they make a doctor's appointment for an x-ray on their cell phone.
THEN: they get on their personal computer and post about how the science of carbon-dating and evolution is bogus and groundless.
Peace.
Exactly! Flat Earthers and people who believe in the Tooth Fairy shouldn't benefit from the very source they criticize.

Only the Amish walk the talk.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Creationist also seem to have this misguided assumption that evolution has anything to do with whether there is or isn't a god. I really think they're wasting their time here fighting a pointless and unwinnable war.

Even if (calm down, I said "if" ) evolution was proven to be all wrong, it wouldn't make their beliefs automatically correct by default.
Well evolutionists make the same misguided assumption.'God' could have used evolution,plenty of people who believe in some form of god dont dispute evolution.Even if evolution is found to be totally correct,[which I believe it mostly is],that has no relevance to the question of the existence of 'God' except for those totally wedded to the notion that God has to do everything with the wave of his hand or the wiggle of her nose to be legit.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Of course not seeing as we don't descend from chimps, but both chimps and man descend from an earlier primate/ape. At least that's what I recall.

Still there are creationistish theories I've heard that would be unaffected by any discovery. One I remember best being that all these hominids existed, were even created by a divinely directed form of evolution, but that Humans were created 6,000 years ago in Iraq. God created humans to be able to reproduce with these hominids so Seth, Adam's third son, could have some women to reproduce with later. As the "soul" is, after a fashion, a "dominant trait" all the kids he had with these hominids were Humans with souls. This was by an Orthodox Jewish man. I remember being surprised by this and some Evangelicals I think had mixed feelings as it essentially assigned all of humanity to be a product of bestiality.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:44 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Peace.
It's the same crowd who quote a couple of verses from the OT telling them to use the earth and all it's resources for their need and pleasure and not to worry because god has given them domain over everything:

Genesis 1:26 mankind was given “dominion” over “fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over everything that creeps on the earth“.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality