U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-06-2009, 04:18 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,297,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

Exactly what I feebly tried to convey!
Oops, sorry Alpha... I didn't read any of the posts. My bad.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM

7,767 posts, read 8,791,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Oops, sorry Alpha... I didn't read any of the posts. My bad.
No no no.....you said it so perfectly!

Rock on, mzjamiedawn!

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:01 PM

138 posts, read 83,782 times
There are some similarities between Mithra and Jesus and there are many similarities between pagan holidays and the Christian celebrations of Christmas and Easter.

The best early evidence of this is given by Justin Martyr. In the context of his (second Century) First Apology, Martyr admits, in Chapters 21 and 22, the similarities between Christ and the many pagans gods. But he appears to do this for the express purpose of winning Roman acceptance and, hopefully, an end to the horrific blood shed perpetrated on Roman Christians. Martyr writes “we propound nothing different from what you believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter. For you know how many sons your esteemed writers ascribed to Jupiter.” The argument being, “if what you are doing is ok and what we are doing is similar, why can’t we all be friends?”Later in Chapter 66, Martyr objects that “wicked devils have imitated in the mysteries of Mithra”. So he blames this pre-existing “imitator” (Mithra) on “the evil one”.

No matter what you think about Martyr, he continued to press the Roman Senate and was eventually killed for what he believed, hence the label synonymous with self-sacrifice, “Martyr”.

The early Church apparently adopted many pagan legends and Holidays to smooth the transition between the old system of many (Roman) gods to monotheism based on Jesus. Unfortunately, this process, while probably well intentioned, hopelessly muddied the true accords of Jesus' life, if they were indeed written, and casts serious doubts on the original accuracy of anything Jesus actually said and did. Unfortunately, we have no original NT documents which might show when these “details” were added if they were.

Hmm… guess it boils down to a matter of faith, but it begs the question, if God cares about any of this, why didn’t He protect the true writings and traditions? Why are we having this argument? Why didn’t God’s Spirit give all 30,000+ Christian Denominations the same (correct) message if all this is so very important? Perhaps none of this is. Perhaps it’s all a huge scam or maybe it’s what Jesus means to each individual that’s important!?

Grace & Peace, John

Last edited by jfraysse; 04-06-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Unread 04-06-2009, 11:30 PM

3,695 posts, read 1,570,297 times
Another helpful book that puts and end to this 'BUNK' is by Edwin M. Yamauchi, 'Persia and the Bible'

There is, by the way, a difference between Mithra and Mithraism. the latter is late (after Christianity) the former is prior. Any similarity between the two (Christianity and Mithraism) is so minimal and weak that is smells of contrivance. Furhtermore, if any borrowimg went on it was from Christianity. Mithraism as a Mytery Religion cannot be attesed to before 90 A.D. at the earliest.

The first recongnition of Mithras in Rome was in 66 A.D. by a visit from Tiridates, king of Armenia. Anyway there is no parrallel between Jesus and Mithras - period.

Unread 08-07-2009, 06:01 PM

9 posts, read 19,999 times
"I really do not see how any conclusion can be made other than that Christ was definitely not borrowed from the cult of Mithra. True Mithraic scholars know nothing about any claims of borrowing, indeed those who claim such tend to have certain things in common: a populist writer, a severe shortage of documentation and footnotes, in their personal lives tend to be practicing pagans and Wiccans. Interesting donít you think?"--Stephen J. Ardent

The Christ Myth: Part 1 - Mithras | Relijournal

Unread 09-11-2012, 02:53 AM

1 posts, read 363 times
I was amazed when I found this site and the info.re Mithras. This was never taught in schools and no wonder because if it had been it would have made a mockery of the Christian religion. I believe in a God but what this is I don't know. We may never know and we are not intelligent enough to have any idea what or who God is. Because I don't believe in Christ I suppose I should embrace the Jewish religion. But even the old testament is a bit like a fairy story to me. I have a problem knowing what to believe.It was so much easier for our ancestors to believe what they were told to believe because they were uneducated and simple people. The ten commandments whether they came from God or from clever rulers to make the population under them behave doesn't matter to me as I think that is the only way to behave and live.That's all we need to know and believe in.

Unread 09-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Status: "I'd procrastinate,too, but I can't be bothered." (set 19 days ago)

14,198 posts, read 5,971,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassart View Post
"I really do not see how any conclusion can be made other than that Christ was definitely not borrowed from the cult of Mithra. True Mithraic scholars know nothing about any claims of borrowing, indeed those who claim such tend to have certain things in common: a populist writer, a severe shortage of documentation and footnotes, in their personal lives tend to be practicing pagans and Wiccans. Interesting don’t you think?"--Stephen J. Ardent

The Christ Myth: Part 1 - Mithras | Relijournal
I read 'the man in the hat' some time ago. That tended to point ip the similarities - notably in the Matthian nativity. Three travellers and a star. The link given here points up the very real differences and overlooks the few borrowings.

I think that is it. There are a few borrowings from the Roman version of Mithraism just as the Marian thing has some borrowing from Horus and Isis. It is a bit selective to ignore those similarities which would of course throw some doubt on some Christian doctrines considered as true.

Those cannot account for a lot of the other material, but they have their own sources. Some from OT prophecy, some from Pauline refutation of Mosaic Law, some from Greek (if not Christian) dislike of Jews and some of course from what actually happened to Jesus. It is not an either all Mithras or all no Mithras matter.

Unread 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM

3,311 posts, read 825,053 times
I think that the general tendency of my fellow Christians is to attack such comparisons when they should in fact acknowledge and embrace them. According to the Bible, all mankind began with the same true religion through a common ancestor (Adam). As virtually all branches of that true religion were corrupted over the centuries and millenia, it would be naive in the extreme to assume that some of the truth would not survive. We should fully expect teachings from the original to survive and spread throughout the world. If you are a true believer in Christianity or Judaism, you should expect to find countless fragments of the true religion showing up in every corner of the globe -- and you do.

Unread 09-13-2012, 11:12 AM

20,113 posts, read 8,756,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I think that the general tendency of my fellow Christians is to attack such comparisons when they should in fact acknowledge and embrace them. According to the Bible, all mankind began with the same true religion through a common ancestor (Adam). As virtually all branches of that true religion were corrupted over the centuries and millenia, it would be naive in the extreme to assume that some of the truth would not survive. We should fully expect teachings from the original to survive and spread throughout the world. If you are a true believer in Christianity or Judaism, you should expect to find countless fragments of the true religion showing up in every corner of the globe -- and you do.
This is indeed the point of using the "spiritual fossil record" to truly understand the "spiritual DNA template" that has been encoded within our brains' DNA for understanding God and our place in the universe.

Unread 09-13-2012, 04:50 PM

3,768 posts, read 1,933,493 times
I hate to bust the OP's bubble but there are Christianty & Mithra share NOTHING. I wish people would do thier reseach on the topic it gets old correcting people on this topic.

Mithra is An old-Iranian god of light, contracts and friendship. He also maintains the cosmic order. Sometimes mentioned as the son of Ahura Mazda, he assists him in his struggle against the forces of evil, represented by Angra Mainyu. Mithra was born from a rock (or a cave). He fought with the sun and managed to capture the divine bull and slayed it before he ascended to heaven. From the blood of the bull came forth all the plants and animals beneficial to humanity.

With the emerging of Zoroastrianism, he was reduced to the status of Yazata. In the Avesta he was portrayed as having ten thousand ears and eyes, and he rides in a chariot pulled by white horses. In the 4 century BCE his popularity rose and again he held a high position in the Persian pantheon. Eventually his cult spread beyond Iran and Asia Minor and gradually became a mystery cult. The ascetic religion of Mithraism (to which only men were allowed) became increasingly popular among the Roman soldiers around 100 CE and at that time Mithra was known in Rome as 'Deus sol invictus' ("the unconquered sun"). Even the Roman emperor Commodus was initiated into Mithra's cult. When Constantine the Great was converted to Christianity in 312 CE, Mithraism started to decline and after a temporary revival under Julius the Apostate (331-363) the cult disappeared for good.
Mithra was worshipped in Mithraea, artificially constructed caves that represented his birth-cave. The ceiling looked like the starry sky and at the sides benches where placed for the ritual meals. In the center of the Mithraea was a niche which held a relief of the god, dressed in Phrygian clothing (short tunic and cloak, long trousers and a hat with a curled tip), who kills a bull. The Mithraea were spread all over the Roman empire and some 50 of these caves still exist in Rome today. He is also known as Mitra in the Indian Veda.

While there are OTHER Pagan Gods who are simliar to the Christian God Mithra is not one of them.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/mithra.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality