Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:05 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm too late to edit that. I should have said "forbade statues of any God, including himself." After I posted I realized I'd forgotten the Aten period during Akhenaten and in that period statues of gods besides Aten were, I believe, forbidden. I was reasonably certain statues of Aten continued.

Note: On further inspection Aten seems to have not been the subject of statuary per-se, but of bas-reliefs as a sun-disk with rays. Any form of depiction of Judaism's God was forbidden, but I admit it's not what I originally thought or remembered.
I think myself the borrowings are from the Sumerian - originated creation - myth, adopted by the Middle - east and clearly identifiable in Genesis and the flood and ark account. At the other end is the striking similarities between Isis - Horus worship in it Greek - form under the Ptolemies and Virgin and son imagery. Isis was even called the star of the sea. I recall.

I don't myself go overboard with the derivations. That other myths may have been co - opted into the Jesus story doesn't mean that there is no Jesus story for it to be co - opted onto, nor that the Mesopotamian creation myth used to kick off the history of Israel and Judea means that there is no history for it to kick off.

You're pretty straight about Aten worship. The Aten was just one of the Gods but Akhenaten made it the one god to be worshipped and in the end banned all the others. Perhaps through personal convinction but possibly to break the power of the Amun Temple and concentrate sole power in himself.

The parallels with the Yahweist agenda in Israel and Judah are probably coincidental. Though one can't be sure, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
As do you, but you are way more off the wall (read woo woo) than I. If you think what I said is illogical, then you have no concept of what the word means.
We can pursue this belief of yours much more rigorously and academically in my Wisdom, Ignorance and Blinding to the Light thread.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:50 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You cannot say that the belief that "God doesn't exist" is truth. You may see many signs (or lack thereof) that leads you to believe that. On the other hand, Christians see God everywhere. Both sides of this debate are confident in their beliefs, but we won't know the truth until we die.
What are you talking about?

When you say "god", I assume you are talking about the biblical god.
Logic and reason and a overwhelming lack of evidence lets me say with great confidence, that the biblical god, Santa, the tooth fairy, Zeus, and any other made up being, does not exist.

BS, if a christian was confident in their beliefs, they would be drinking poison and giving all their positions away.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:52 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Totally illogical rationalization to support your belief . . . (doing the same thing you are accusing believers of doing).
Has anyone ever come back when their bodies have been destroyed?

Destroy the brain, and you destroy the person. You can deny this fact all you want.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,567 times
Some one wrote, how can one reason with someone who has absolute knowledge. That is exactly my beef with atheists and Belle Hooks. One need not worry, we now live in a world with many moral systems. I am sure it will lead to love and harmony.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
to ignore ethics as relevant to the order of the universe would be an existential declaration.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
You've answered your own question. There are so many different views on morality, but true morality is from God, our Creator.

No, you are wrong..... Even if I didn't believe in God I would behave in a moral manner. I just wouldn't have the frame work of religion to put it in.

People can be moral people without religion.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Facts? Now that's laughable! Since no one can be 100% sure, you live by faith just like I do.

You said it....... Since no one can be 100% sure, it is a matter of faith and because its a matter of faith you cannot be 100% sure that you have the absolute truth.........

Old 12-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
How can you reason with someone who thinks they have absolute knowledge.

you can't, don't even try.....

Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Some one wrote, how can one reason with someone who has absolute knowledge. That is exactly my beef with atheists and Belle Hooks. One need not worry, we now live in a world with many moral systems. I am sure it will lead to love and harmony.
Atheists generally don't claim absolute knowledge. On the otherhand, how would you answer a question that you don't know the answer to? It's most probably along the lines of 'god did it.' Case in point, the Cosmological argument. This is just a form of arrogance since it pretends that someone has knowledge of everything.

As to not deviate to far from the topic, folk who claim that their moral absolutes are objectively moral are only dismissing the many other ideologies that hold moral absolutist tenets. For example, why would a religious fundamentalist consider their moral absolutes to be objectively right and at the same time consider nazi moral absolutes to be objectively wrong? The truth is that moral absolutism is a myth. People cherrypick morals based on societal norms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality