Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:41 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times

Advertisements

Do you live this as part of your lives? I mean do you think about it all the time or do you just think you are ready and when it happens it happens?

I ask because my in-laws (sorry to keep referencing them) were watching this show on television and I walked in. I thought it was a re-run of Saturday night live...like their news spoof...very pretty blonde anchor woman and that Pat Robinson (? is that his name) guy...well they would show clips of news footage for the day then cut over to an outline of why this was a signifigant event fortelling of the end of the world...well I watched for like 10 minutes before I realized this wasn't comedy these people were being serious! I just don't get it. My comment to my father-in-law was, "Why would you want to watch this, when Seinfeld is on?!?". I had no idea people were this into this part so seriously until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 11:47 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Do you live this as part of your lives? I mean do you think about it all the time or do you just think you are ready and when it happens it happens?

I ask because my in-laws (sorry to keep referencing them) were watching this show on television and I walked in. I thought it was a re-run of Saturday night live...like their news spoof...very pretty blonde anchor woman and that Pat Robinson (? is that his name) guy...well they would show clips of news footage for the day then cut over to an outline of why this was a signifigant event fortelling of the end of the world...well I watched for like 10 minutes before I realized this wasn't comedy these people were being serious! I just don't get it. My comment to my father-in-law was, "Why would you want to watch this, when Seinfeld is on?!?". I had no idea people were this into this part so seriously until then.
Yeah kind of comical isn't it? Anyway, to answer your question, end times for me is when I die. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 PM

954 posts, read 813,223 times
According to the Christian Jesus, it should have happened 2000 years ago. What went wrong?

Old 05-04-2007, 11:50 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,645 times
Unfortunately, I don't think that I'll ever be ready. I do however try to live my life as if it were my last day. I'm use to seeing people lose their lives and I think that this has affected the way that I live life. Some people just become numb or use to it. Even though people have always been killing each other since the beginning, I think that something is bound to happen within the next 30 years. There is no regard for human life. I guess we'll see.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
According to the Christian Jesus, it should have happened 2000 years ago. What went wrong?
Oh, I thought it was Nostradamus who predicted the end of the world. Or was it that crazy guy who did it back in the 1800's? Or was it The Heaven's Gate Cult guy?

Old 05-04-2007, 11:57 PM

954 posts, read 813,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Oh, I thought it was Nostradamus who predicted the end of the world. Or was it that crazy guy who did it back in the 1800's? Or was it The Heaven's Gate Cult guy?
JC did too!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:11 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Do you mean the year 2000? I was under the impression that Jesus died 2007 years ago...did I read that wrong?

Old 05-05-2007, 12:21 AM

259 posts, read 1,182,035 times
I for one am not too concerned with the world ending any time soon. I am a little worried about some of the nutjobs in the middle east but its nothing prophetic. As a Christian who has studied Escatology (the study of end times matters) for a number of years now, I find the most widely spread end-times views make up for in sensationalism what they lack in scholarly foundations. Pat Robertson, love him or hate him, is certainly not a biblical scholar.

I would also love to mention that not all Christians find themselves in agreement with the End-time message propagated by the likes of Pat Robertson, Jack Van Impe, Hal Lindsey (anyone remember the Late Great Planet Earth book?) or most importantly Tim Lahaye's popular Left Behind series of book/movies.

"Dispensationalism" as it is technically defined, is a form of premillenialism; as opposed to amillenialism or postmillenialism which are held by a larger number of scholars from all different denominations. The Reformed Church (generally called Presbyterians here in the states) has opposed Dispensationalism as a system of interpretation for as long as it has actually been recognized as its own system for its inherent errors.

The great theologians of the Reformation (Martin Luther, John Calvin, Zwigli) and subsequent reformed theologians could have never found themselves in agreement with such a system as Dispensationalism which teaches a future rebuilt temple so it can be destroyed during a great tribulation (its already been destroyed just like Jesus said it would, in AD 70) and a re-instituted jewish state complete with animal sacrifices, all because the Jews rejected Christ as king and thus their kingdom must be postponed until after a rapture of all Christians. I grew up with ever-present pieces of this theology in the Baptist Church, and it wasn't until I discovered other views on end times that things made sense.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:27 AM

259 posts, read 1,182,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Do you mean the year 2000? I was under the impression that Jesus died 2007 years ago...did I read that wrong?
Many liberal scholars have tried to discredit the entire NT based upon Jesus' words in the Olivet Discourse located in Matt 24,, Mark 13, and Luke 21. Teachers like Pat Robertson take these texts and apply them scrtictly to the end of the world, and scholars that adopt this view have a lot of scriptural hurldes to jump to do it). A great many scholars apply the events foretold to the descruction of Jerusalem, and the doing away of the old covenant which occurred in AD 70 which is nearly 2000 years ago. I believe this is what the poster was refering to, correct me if I was wrong.
R.C. Sproul has written a very easy to read book on the subject titled "The Last Days According to Jesus" where he deals with this.

Last edited by fromcenFL; 05-05-2007 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-05-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
I for one am not too concerned with the world ending any time soon. I am a little worried about some of the nutjobs in the middle east but its nothing prophetic. As a Christian who has studied Escatology (the study of end times matters) for a number of years now, I find the most widely spread end-times views make up for in sensationalism what they lack in scholarly foundations. Pat Robertson, love him or hate him, is certainly not a biblical scholar.

I would also love to mention that not all Christians find themselves in agreement with the End-time message propagated by the likes of Pat Robertson, Jack Van Impe, Hal Lindsey (anyone remember the Late Great Planet Earth book?) or most importantly Tim Lahaye's popular Left Behind series of book/movies.

"Dispensationalism" as it is technically defined, is a form of premillenialism; as opposed to amillenialism or postmillenialism which are held by a larger number of scholars from all different denominations. The Reformed Church (generally called Presbyterians here in the states) has opposed Dispensationalism as a system of interpretation for as long as it has actually been recognized as its own system for its inherent errors.

The great theologians of the Reformation (Martin Luther, John Calvin, Zwigli) and subsequent reformed theologians could have never found themselves in agreement with such a system as Dispensationalism which teaches a future rebuilt temple so it can be destroyed during a great tribulation (its already been destroyed just like Jesus said it would, in AD 70) and a re-instituted jewish state complete with animal sacrifices, all because the Jews rejected Christ as king and thus their kingdom must be postponed until after a rapture of all Christians. I grew up with ever-present pieces of this theology in the Baptist Church, and it wasn't until I discovered other views on end times that things made sense.

I guess I'm getting a little tired and I'll re-read this post in the morning, but for now you're a little over my head. Big words + No Coffee =
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality