Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 06:12 PM

6 posts, read 7,795 times

Advertisements

I have to write an essay on this. I have no clue where to begin. I don't even know what this means.

Examine the relevence and the mystery of the implications laden in the following views about the nature of the reality and the divine: polytheism, monotheism/theism, pantheism, panentheism, and atheism.

Can anyone anyone please explain these to me so I can attempt to write this essay..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:30 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,709,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia13 View Post
I have to write an essay on this. I have no clue where to begin. I don't even know what this means.

Examine the relevence and the mystery of the implications laden in the following views about the nature of the reality and the divine: polytheism, monotheism/theism, pantheism, panentheism, and atheism.

Can anyone anyone please explain these to me so I can attempt to write this essay..
polytheism

monotheism

theism

atheism

pantheism

As for the essay itself, you're on your own.
I don't know how much time you have but "The Religions of Man" by Huston Smith is an excellent book that gives a very good overview of religions.
Huston_Smith
Good luck ... sounds like quite an undertaking.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:40 PM

thank you. the book for this class is actually "The World's Religions" by Huston Smith. Great Book.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
thank you. the book for this class is actually "The World's Religions" by Huston Smith. Great Book.
Oh, very good.
I read that book in high school (long time ago) and still remember key parts of it.

"Examine the relevence and the mystery of the implications laden in the following views about the nature of the reality and the divine: polytheism, monotheism/theism, pantheism, panentheism, and atheism."

This isn't for high school is it?
That's quite an advanced essay question, it seems to me.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Freshmen in college. Just trying to pass this course with a B.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:05 PM

I do well on test because they're objective. As for essays, not so much. Unfortunely I usually get D's. I'm in the process of trying to find someone to help me read over my papers and give me good advice. Until then I just have to do my best.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,827,673 times
Simple actually, Reality has to do with the physical world, the observable, touchable, items we come in contact with on a daily basis, rocks, trees, streams, air, animal life, the substantive things in our lives.
The devine is more subjective, a good peanut butter fudge is devine, as is really fine chocolate. physical love when there is a deep emotional element can border on the sublimely devine. If by "devine" you are including theistic beings, well, then it borders on mythology.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Simple actually, Reality has to do with the physical world, the observable, touchable, items we come in contact with on a daily basis, rocks, trees, streams, air, animal life, the substantive things in our lives.
The devine is more subjective, a good peanut butter fudge is devine, as is really fine chocolate. physical love when there is a deep emotional element can border on the sublimely devine. If by "devine" you are including theistic beings, well, then it borders on mythology.
You're defining material reality.
That is a very limited notion of reality.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I do well on test because they're objective. As for essays, not so much. Unfortunely I usually get D's. I'm in the process of trying to find someone to help me read over my papers and give me good advice. Until then I just have to do my best.
God, i hope you're not on this forum looking for help with your paper.
There are just 1 or 2 people here (of the regular posters) that i would entrust that task to.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 10-11-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 PM

We don't have a "textbook" like I have in all my other courses. The assigned reading is Huston Smith's "The World's Religions". So I don't have an outline in the book. I mean I think I understand but i'm not sure. So help me out and let me know if I'm on the right track.

First of all we have two different realities. There's conditioned reality is where religion meets reality (the envoys, teachings & practices). As there’s is also unconditioned reality which is what I would define as special person and/or institution. As is deities or nirvana for example.

Polytheism is the belief in more than one deity.
Monotheism is the belief of one deity.
Theism is the belief of a unified god head.
Pantheism is the belief that deity is all things.
Panentheism is the belief that there is deity exist & that deity is in all things.

Therefore, in polytheism and monotheism/theism conditioned reality and unconditioned reality exist as separate. In pantheism there is no separation of realities because god is in everything. God is the same as the universe. So conditioned reality and unconditioned reality are one. With panentheism there is only unconditioned reality. Although the universe is contained within God, God is the “effect and affect” on the universe.

Does that sound like I’m getting it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality