U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Pike Road, Alabama
4,852 posts, read 3,205,656 times
Reputation: 777

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
yes, and there appears to be some holes in your discussion...

NT was written from 50AD (Letters of Paul) through 100AD, with some of those accounts being first hand testimony of Jesus (James, Peter, John, matthew)

There is plenty of historical record of Jesus, certainly none of it during his time on earth becasue for 9/10 of his life he was an obscure jewish peasant living in an obscure roman territory. However, there are historical records of his life as early as 100AD by historians of the time.

I am not able to explain away the mniracles in the Bible, that is why they are called Miracles. However, to say that science has disproven them is like saying science has proven the theory of evolution correct.

The fact that you cited evolution as a scientific discovery disproving religion seriously undermines your point, since belief in evolution is essentially a religion as science has not proven with any credibility that evolution is possible.

We all have our beliefs.
Holes??? No holes in my posts....but your's are like Swiss cheese.

Let me reiterate...there are NO EYE WITNESS ACCOUNTS/NONE/NADA/ZIP/ZILCH...all we have is hearsay...hearsay that was written well after the alleged events occurred...those are the FACTS. Contrary to what you've been told...the Gospels were not written by Matthew, Mark, Luke or John...we have no idea who wrote them for they never carried the authors name...those name were assigned to them...you are aware of this aren't you???? Surely you have studied this, at the very least???? And yes we have Paul...with his own little delusion...yep.

You called Jesus an obscure jewish peasant...and yet....the bible states that the MASSES FOLLOWED HIM EVERYWHERE....THAT HE ATTRACTED MASSIVE CROWDS....THAT RIOTS WERE STARTED OVER HIM...ETC....somehow these things were missed by EVERY CONTEMPORARY HISTORIAN of his time...go figure.

Evolution disproves the creation story...study into the ancient origins of religious belief, the ancient origins of the bible, ancient astrotheology, ancient archeology, ancient mythology, ancient sumerian and egyptian beliefs, ancient comparative religions, ancient Rome, etc...disproves religion.

Yes...when one is mired as deep in it as you are and refuses to study unbiasedly...it is difficult to have an open minded discussion...so I'll just rest my case there.

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 09-01-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
 
377 posts, read 305,969 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

I think you need to do some reading....other than the Bible that is.
I have. Why do you assume I have not studied all the same stuff you have and just come to different conclusions?

Tell me what volume I must read in order to be enlightened on the theory of evolution?

Unless you are a evolution professor, I would hedge a bet I have studied more science than you have...I don't doubt science when it is proven to be reliable in experimentation, but evolution has not ever been proven in experimentation. If you believe it has, please show me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,756,684 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
Why do you assume I have not studied all the same stuff you have and just come to different conclusions?
Because if you had you wouldn't be claiming that evolution has not been proven. It HAS been proven beyond all reasonable doubt.

Quote:
I don't doubt science when it is proven to be reliable in experimentation, but evolution has not ever been proven in experimentation. If you believe it has, please show me...
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html


Now, the thread is asking for "Direct archaeological evidence for Jesus' existence". Do you have any?

Last edited by Rafius; 09-01-2010 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,756,684 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
I don't doubt science when it is proven to be reliable in experimentation, but evolution has not ever been proven in experimentation. If you believe it has, please show me...
Ah, so .........

Theory of electromagnetism: Good!
Theory of gravity: Good!
Quantum theory: Good!
Germ Theory: Good!
Thermodynamics: Good!


Theory of evolution: Science is evil and filled with atheists who want to destroy Christianity everywhere and those dinosaur bones were put there by Satan to trick us.

Photosynthesis: Good!
Periodic Table of the Elements: Good!
Theory of Relativity: Good!
Acoustics Theory: Good!
Chaos Theory: Good!
Number theory: Good!


Big Bang theory: Science is evil and filled with atheists who want to destroy Christianity everywhere and how can they believe in the Big Bang when no one was around to see it.

Cell Theory: Good!
Decision theory: Good!
Circuit Theory: Good!

So, in general, science is great and one of the best means of understanding our universe.... unless it contradicts the writings of ancient goat herders. Then it's evil and wrong. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,756,684 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
I don't doubt science when it is proven to be reliable in experimentation, but evolution has not ever been proven in experimentation. If you believe it has, please show me...
I give you our esteemed resident professor....Rifleman.

" Well sorry: it's been proven. Lenski (2008); Venter (2009 & 2010); the recent discovery of reptilian DNA segments that build ancient dinosaurian tails and tooth structures, within modern chickens (the DNA is simply, and temporarily, suppressed is all, but is still there, it's "vestigial". Look that word up. Please.). The globe-trekking continuity of Lucy's mitochondrial DNA from Africa across Asia and Alaska to the American plains Indians? You denying all that proven science? Hey: go for it if you must: eyes' squeezed tightly shut!!"
--Rifleman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
 
377 posts, read 305,969 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I give you our esteemed resident professor....Rifleman.

" Well sorry: it's been proven. Lenski (2008); Venter (2009 & 2010); the recent discovery of reptilian DNA segments that build ancient dinosaurian tails and tooth structures, within modern chickens (the DNA is simply, and temporarily, suppressed is all, but is still there, it's "vestigial". Look that word up. Please.). The globe-trekking continuity of Lucy's mitochondrial DNA from Africa across Asia and Alaska to the American plains Indians? You denying all that proven science? Hey: go for it if you must: eyes' squeezed tightly shut!!"
--Rifleman.

I feel as if we are substituting a belief in one mystical thing for another...my religion for yours.

Showing DNA is similar across many of creations items can simply show that creation did take place and there was a common creator.

To you it shows a single evolutionary point, which really doesn't prove evolution, but believe what you may. I will chose my beliefs, and you will chose yours.

I am fine with that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,010 posts, read 12,241,002 times
Reputation: 2031
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
I feel as if we are substituting a belief in one mystical thing for another...my religion for yours.

Showing DNA is similar across many of creations items can simply show that creation did take place and there was a common creator.

To you it shows a single evolutionary point, which really doesn't prove evolution, but believe what you may. I will chose my beliefs, and you will chose yours.

I am fine with that...
Science is not a mystical belief. It is based on observations and testing as well as evidence. Much easier to believe than the non existent evidence of the "poof" of mankind through a invisible sky god and some dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 04:46 PM
 
377 posts, read 305,969 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Science is not a mystical belief. It is based on observations and testing as well as evidence. Much easier to believe than the non existent evidence of the "poof" of mankind through a invisible sky god and some dirt.

What observations and testing have proven evolution? In my mind, belief in evolution is a belief in a magical "poof" just like belief in creation is belief in some poof....


I suppose those who believe in evolution also believe in man-made global warming...the science is settled on that too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
24,961 posts, read 18,542,622 times
Reputation: 9891
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
What observations and testing have proven evolution? In my mind, belief in evolution is a belief in a magical "poof" just like belief in creation is belief in some poof....


I suppose those who believe in evolution also believe in man-made global warming...the science is settled on that too
There is only one reason that you don't believe in evolution...You have been indoctrinated by religion...If you were not religious you would go where the evidence leads....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2010, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,756,684 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
What observations and testing have proven evolution?
You've already been told Evo. See posts 173 and 175.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top