U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,668,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
YSM,, you really need to put your bibles,and extra-biblical writings down for a minute and pick up a dictionary.You deny you even follow a 'religion'.You fail to grasp that the bible is full of allegory and symbolism.Much of it clearly isn't intended to be taken literally.The point the writers are trying to illustrate may be true but you are the only person i've ever heard of who believes it all should be taken literally.It obviously wasn't written to be taken that way.
You err -and I am also showing the symbolism God is using to set His tabernacle in the sun -several posts back I used Scripture to explain the symbolism.
I am giving lots of corroborating Scriptures and other ancient Jewish writings showing that what I am writing was what the ancients believed and what the Word of God stated as fact. If it were not so, then the Septuagint would not have translated it so, nor would the Essenes at Qumran have believed it so and have written of it as so.
There's lots more, too...

Old 10-15-2009, 09:03 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,228,745 times
Oh by the way YSM,Kolob isnt a planet...its the alleged name of a 'star' which God supposedly lives near.If he lived 'on' kolob i suppose his 'many mansions' would have to be constucted entirely of asbestos and would require all hvac techs to be joined with God in heaven to keep the ac running constantly.I suppose solar power would pose no problems for powering everything however.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 PM

13,895 posts, read 9,543,419 times
Quote:
Oh by the way YSM,Kolob isnt a planet...its the alleged name of a 'star' which God supposedly lives near.
I wasn't going to even bother posting on this thread, but since you made this comment, I'd just like to say that you are correct. LDS scripture ("The Pearl of Great Price") mentions a star by the name of Kolob. It is said to be the closest star to where God resides. The Bible frequently refers to God as being "in Heaven." Acts 7:55-56 state, "But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, and said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. "Heaven" is, therefore, where we Latter-day Saints believe God to be. As to where either Heaven or the star, Kolob, are we don't claim to know. The truth of the matter is that their physical location really isn't particularly important. See how much less bizarre the truth is than rumors and misrepresentations? LDS doctrine, when explained by a Latter-day Saint rather than by an anti-Mormon, self-proclaimed authority on Mormomism, is almost boring.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I wasn't going to even bother posting on this thread, but since you made this comment, I'd just like to say that you are correct. LDS scripture ("The Pearl of Great Price") mentions a star by the name of Kolob. It is said to be the closest star to where God resides. The Bible frequently refers to God as being "in Heaven." Acts 7:55-56 state, "But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, and said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God. "Heaven" is, therefore, where we Latter-day Saints believe God to be. As to where either Heaven or the star, Kolob, are we don't claim to know. The truth of the matter is that their physical location really isn't particularly important. See how much less bizarre the truth is than rumors and misrepresentations? LDS doctrine, when explained by a Latter-day Saint rather than by an anti-Mormon, self-proclaimed authority on Mormomism, is almost boring.
well katz,i'm glad you decided not to let me have all the fun.I fail to understand what exactly about the 'kolob thing' is even contraversial?Why does it matter if mormons believe there is a star near heaven called kolob?Is it possible there is a star visible from heaven?Does the name of the star matter?This is one of the silliest non-issues that I hear brought up by the mormon bashers.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, Mormonism does evolve, and sometimes superfast, with attention drawn to its foolish doctrines; but Kolob has been called a planet and the sun called a planet, in Mormon doctrine.

care to prove or disprove this, from Kolob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Kolob as the inspiration for Kobol in Battlestar Galactica

Some of the elements of the two Battlestar Galactica science-fiction television shows seem to be derived from the Mormon beliefs of its creator and chief producer, Glen A. Larson. In both the original series from 1978, and the 2003 new series, the planet Kobol is the ancient and distant mother world of the entire human race and the planet where life began, and the "Lords of Kobol" are sacred figures to the human race. They are treated as elders or patriarchs in the old series, and versions of the Twelve Olympians in the new series. According to Jana Reiss, author of What Would Buffy Do? [3] "Kobol" as an anagram of "Kolob" is only one of many plot points Larson has borrowed from Mormonism.
and here-
Quote:
TripAtlas.com - About Kolob
Quote:

★ Some of the elements of the two ''Battlestar Galactica'' science-fiction television shows seem to be derived from the Mormon beliefs of its creator, Glen A. Larson. In both the original series from 1978, and the 2003 new series, the planet Kobol is the ancient and distant homeworld of the human race, and the "Lords of Kobol" are sacred figures to the human race (treated as elders or patriarchs in the old series, and versions of the Twelve Olympians in the new series). According to Jana Reiss, author of ''What Would Buffy Do?'' [4] Kobol as an anagram of Kolob is only one of many plot points borrowed from Mormonism by Larson.
Care to prove or disprove this -and to disown the Osmonds for calling Kolob a planet?
Kolob

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 10-16-2009 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
This is one of the silliest non-issues that I hear brought up by the mormon bashers.
I am not bashing Mormons, but I am pointing out that Mormon doctrines are not Christian doctrines, and that the Mormon god has no relation to the LORD GOD of Scripture.

Now why did the Mormon group, the Osmonds, believe that all earthlings are really Kolobians?

Jesus said we of Adam are earthlings, from beneath, and that He is the LORD from above.

Jhn 8:23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 PM

From a Mormon hymn
"If You Could Hie to KOLOB"
If you could hie to Kolob in the twinkling of an eye,
And then continue onward with the speed of light to fly**,
D'ye think that you could ever, through all eternity,
Find out the generation where Gods began to be?

~~|~~ "If you Could Hie To Kolob".

Quote:
D&C 130:6-8: “Angels . . . reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and
. D&C 130:6-8: “Angels . . . reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord. The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim.”
Quote:
LDS Mormon Science Doctrines
Kolob is "the great governing star of our universe" and "the residence of God." See Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith's "Church History and Modern Revelation" Volume 3, Page 60.

- The Sun "borrows it's light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash.. which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars.. and receives light from the revolutions of Kolob." This quote comes directly from the Book of Abraham, Facsimile Number 2, Explanation for Figure 5. Also see: ~~ Mormonism:** #1 Facsimile2: The Planet Kolob and the Planet Oliblish

- The Sun is a celestialized world, where its inhabitants are perfected. The Prophet Brigham Young taught in General Conference: "So it is with regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain. It was made to give light to those who dwell upon it, and to other planets; and so will this earth when it is celestialized." See Journal of Discourses, 13:271. Also see Prophet Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Volume 1 Page 88: "Earth to be Celestialized Sun"

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 10-16-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
I am not bashing Mormons, but I am pointing out that Mormon doctrines are not Christian doctrines, and that the Mormon god has no relation to the LORD GOD of Scripture.

Now why did the Mormon group, the Osmonds, believe that all earthlings are really Kolobians?

Jesus said we of Adam are earthlings, from beneath, and that He is the LORD from above.

Jhn 8:23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.
Well YSM,you have yet to show me how'kolob'either contridicts or confirms other christian doctrine.I read through the links you provided katz which showed me that in the pearl of great price 'kolob' is mentioned repeatedly as a star.While the author of the review of the osmonds album in question called kolob a planet,the passage he linked that talked about kolob clearly called kolob a star.I was unaware that 'osmond brothers records' were considered part of the cannon of the lds church in any case.I did read through your wiki link where it is stated that many prominent mormons have called kolob a planet....despite not being called one in the 'pearl of great price',unless I missed it,which is possible.Can you show me where in the 'pearl of great price' kolob is described as a planet rather than a star?Since we are discussing mormon doctrines here I would think the books within the canon would be more relevant to the subject than 40 year old osmond brothers records.I still fail to understand what difference any of this makes either but.....

Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM

YSM,I find it interesting from your last post that brigham young ,like you ,thought the sun was inhabited.I really think you need to reasess your attitude toward the church since you seem to have some common interests with the early leaders.Joseph Smith was an early supporter of the 'book of jasher' and some mormons were the first to publish it in a widespread way in english.While you try to use the 'book of enoch' against the mormons,it also was a favorite among early lds churchmembers while ignored or rejected by other christian groups.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 PM

13,895 posts, read 9,543,419 times
Since we're having so much fun talking about Kolob, and since YSM so graciously posted the words to the first verse of this LDS hymn, I thought I'd just post a YouTube link to a recording of it:

If You Could Hie to Kolob

It's one of my favorite hymns. I wish we sang it more often. I especially like the last verse, since it reminds me that love and life will never end. Whenever I hear this hymn I think of the words of the late Carl Sagan: "How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said -- grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead, they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.' A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by mordern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverse and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. Sooner or later, such a religion will ererge." I love how this hymn speaks of the immensity of God's creation, and of the eternal nature of truth, spirit and matter.

Here are the words to all five verses:

If you could hie to Kolob In the twinkling of an eye,
And then continue onward with that same speed to fly,
Do you think that you could ever, Through all eternity,
Find out the generation where Gods began to be?

Or see the grand beginning, where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation, where Gods and matter end?
Me thinks the Spirit whispers, “No man has found ‘pure space,’
Nor seen the outside curtains, where nothing has a place.”

The works of God continue, and worlds and lives abound;
Improvement and progression have one eternal round.
There is no end to matter; There is no end to space;
There is no end to spirit; There is no end to race.

There is no end to virtue; There is no end to might;
There is no end to wisdom; There is no end to light.
There is no end to union; There is no end to youth;
There is no end to priesthood; There is no end to truth.

There is no end to glory; There is no end to love;
There is no end to being; There is no death above.
There is no end to glory; There is no end to love;
There is no end to being; There is no death above.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-16-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality