Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
"...under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954, two years before our original, Founder crrafted National Motto, E Pluribus Unum, was also obliterated in the theodemocratic movement.

Both examples go against everything our Founders worked for in attempting to protect religion, ad are Constitutionally Illegal.

Want to live in a theocracy, it is you who should move. Saudi might be a good place for you, since a Christian Theocracy has always mirrored what we see in Muslim Theocracies today.
You have at best only the vaguest clue what a theocracy is, and that's at best.

America does not have laws against blasphemy or apostasy. Christ is not on any coin or motto. Nor do people have to swear on any religious text.

And it's great that we're not beholden to everything a bunch of eighteenth century aristocrats believed. We're no longer trying to convert the "Indian savages" to act like us, at least not in the same way. In the age of "E. Pluribus Unum" we enslaved people, banned religions of Indian tribes, forced people to serve in the military against their beliefs, interned the Japanese, etc. It's wonderful we've moved away from that kind of assimilationist tyranny toward a more benign motto.

Still it's not a sign of total change. In the Articles of Confederation it does refer to "The Great Governor of the World" and the Declaration of Independence refers to the Creator. Also the anthem contains "In God Our Trust" and that's what we went with.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
All the non believers why so much hostility/anger? If you don't believe don't participate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjO4duhMRZk
Pat hit it right on the nail.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Pat Condell, well said, my hero...Too bad we cannot really say what we think here. My unsaid words seem be causing a blockage in my system that is hard to control sometimes.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
You have at best only the vaguest clue what a theocracy is, and that's at best.

America does not have laws against blasphemy or apostasy. Christ is not on any coin or motto. Nor do people have to swear on any religious text.

And it's great that we're not beholden to everything a bunch of eighteenth century aristocrats believed. We're no longer trying to convert the "Indian savages" to act like us, at least not in the same way. In the age of "E. Pluribus Unum" we enslaved people, banned religions of Indian tribes, forced people to serve in the military against their beliefs, interned the Japanese, etc. It's wonderful we've moved away from that kind of assimilationist tyranny toward a more benign motto.

Still it's not a sign of total change. In the Articles of Confederation it does refer to "The Great Governor of the World" and the Declaration of Independence refers to the Creator. Also the anthem contains "In God Our Trust" and that's what we went with.
We've already gone toe-to-toe over this issue Thomas.

I knwo full well wat a theocracy means. Re-read my post and you will see no where do I claim the US is a theocracy. And yes, there were local laws against blasphemy left over from our colonial days, also removed under E Pluribus Unum.

And what has occured under "In God We Trust"? Several wars of convinience, napalming Vientamese children, environmental pollution unheard of before.

Our Motto has nothing to do with the differences in history you attribute to the Motto above, strawmen all.

But what the MOtto and Pledge of today DOES have to do with is a Dominionist Agenda and the erosion of our Constitution, opening the door to thoroughly rape that document in the examples of the past administration.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I think the answer from the thread is clear "it's about bashing religion." And your ignorance absolutely astounds me. I remember you trying to argue "Manifest Destiny" was more about religion than nationalism. And how can the Motto be "Dominionist" when it predates that entire movement and was put in under Eisenhower. Do you think Eisenhower was a Dominionist?

Most of the irreligion/secularism represented here is proudly ignorant and a paranoid nightmare. Hopefully I'm really done with it this time.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Most of the irreligion/secularism represented here is proudly ignorant and a paranoid nightmare.
I think you are attributing these traits to the wrong team...It is the religious side who proudly, willfully and blindly keep themselves ignorant...And talk about paranoia!....The whole darned religious movement seems to be based on that.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Manifest Destiny was as much about religion as nationalism, since the two were so intertwined in the concept. The idea was that, "from sea to shining sea", it was our God-given duty to colonize all of the country and Christianize the indigenous population. It was illegal for the latter to practice their own religions from 1883 to 1978, and their children were routinely taken away from them in order to 'take away the Indian to save the child'. Methodists and Congregationalists had a leading role.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
In answer to the op..No, this forum is NOT about bashing religion or each other no matter what our world view is.

And this thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality