U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,220,624 times

Advertisements

I would think noting they were dead is sufficient, The announcements are for the living, and to bring something which many see as negative into the public view would be an attack on the living not the dead.

Also workaholism is not a form of slow suicide. Thirty years ago it was a desirable trait, and in today’s economy I think it is coming back in style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 PM

16,301 posts, read 22,914,540 times
Our society is pretty crass and utterly tasteless, but there are some limits.

I suspect you're placing your own morbid curiosity above the pain the family is suffering, and their privacy.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 PM

15,517 posts, read 18,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I would think noting they were dead is sufficient, The announcements are for the living, and to bring something which many see as negative into the public view would be an attack on the living not the dead.

Also workaholism is not a form of slow suicide. Thirty years ago it was a desirable trait, and in today’s economy I think it is coming back in style.
Workaholic and alcoholics wear the same clothes. Put them side by side and who can tell the difrerence?

Unfortunately, there's no 12 step programs for those suffering from this disease or for those who are unaware they even have the disease.

My father was one. Just one more, just one more, just one more. And there went my childhood with few memories of having spent any quality time with my workaholic father.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Status: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" (set 21 days ago)

12,943 posts, read 18,010,801 times
Perhaps the media shy away from listing suicide as a cause of death because they've been paid off by the AMA lobbyists.

Think about it...

Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,220,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Workaholic and alcoholics wear the same clothes. Put them side by side and who can tell the difrerence?

Unfortunately, there's no 12 step programs for those suffering from this disease or for those who are unaware they even have the disease.

My father was one. Just one more, just one more, just one more. And there went my childhood with few memories of having spent any quality time with my workaholic father.
My father was also, but what I learned was a good work ethic and how to make quality time from the time I had free. Times than and now are harder than they were the last few decades. I think we will see work ethics change while we recover from those last 30 years of excess. Additionally I think to say a person who works hard is the same as a person who had a medical issue related to addiction to alcohol is an over kill.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,753,523 times
Quote:
I've had a fascination with reading Obituary columns all my life. And only once have I ever read an Obituary, of a young teenager, where the parents
admitted to the fact he took his own life.

You know full well the Obituary columns are sprinkled with Suicides every day of the year, but why is it so offensive to list Suicide as the cause of death?

I know, for a fact, at the end of my life, if I'm physically capable, I'm going to end my own life and I want my Obituary to state the cause of my death, and the reasons behind it, for the whole world to see.

Perhaps the reason it's not listed as a cause of death, is it might give others the courage to do likewise.

What are your opinions? It should be left out or included in an Obituary?
That's brilliant.
Yeah, let's give people the courage to end their life.
People who choose to end their life due to terminal illness have the right to do so but i don't suspect they need evidence of others doing the same in the obituary column.
Anyone has the right to end their life but there's no need to encourage it.
c'mon.
And i imagine you're young ... maybe very young.
Why don't you get some years under your belt before having a plan for old age so set in stone?
And i don't know but i suspect that people don't broadcast a family members suicide because there is so much pain and shame associated with it.
And i imagine that newspapers respect the wishes not to publish that information as it's a very sensitive issue.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 PM

19,524 posts, read 18,766,583 times
Quote:
I've had a fascination with reading Obituary columns all my life. And only once have I ever read an Obituary, of a young teenager, where the parents
admitted to the fact he took his own life.

You know full well the Obituary columns are sprinkled with Suicides every day of the year, but why is it so offensive to list Suicide as the cause of death?

I know, for a fact, at the end of my life, if I'm physically capable, I'm going to end my own life and I want my Obituary to state the cause of my death, and the reasons behind it, for the whole world to see.

Perhaps the reason it's not listed as a cause of death, is it might give others the courage to do likewise.

What are your opinions? It should be left out or included in an Obituary?
I've seen obituaries that clearly imply that the deceased took his own life. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to the death of a loved one, the surviving family members' feelings are of the utmost importance. You should probably inform your next of kin that when you decide to end your life, they had better be clear in stating that to the world. Otherwise, in their grief, they might choose not to.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Status: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" (set 21 days ago)

12,943 posts, read 18,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Yeah, let's give people the courage to end their life.
Sometimes they need that courage. Don't you want to end their suffering?

Quote:
Anyone has the right to end their life but there's no need to encourage it.
Why not? Have you ever seen someone holding onto a poor quality of life, because they thought that was expected of them?

It's a sad sight.

Quote:
And i don't know but i suspect that people don't broadcast a family members suicide because there is so much pain and shame associated with it.
Why is there shame associated with it?

Quote:
And i imagine that newspapers respect the wishes not to publish that information as it's a very sensitive issue.
Why is it sensitive?

I'm not sure, but it seems you're just reciting the party line rather than giving concrete reasons why it shouldn't be so.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 PM

15,517 posts, read 18,192,051 times
Default Assumptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

I suspect you're placing your own morbid curiosity above the pain the family is suffering, and their privacy.
You're assuming that every single suicide brings pain to the family.

In some cases, it may be a cause for celebration, joy, happiness. Like an overstressed family caregiver who would have gone to prison if she/he had interceded and played a role in bringing about that person's final wishes.
It could be someone who has complained their entire lives how unhappy they were and forever wishing they were dead.

There are any number of people who have always felt like aliens on this planet, the pain of living here outweighing any of the rewards that life has to offer. And some people have reached that conclusion at a very young age.

Last edited by tijlover; 10-15-2009 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 10-16-2009, 12:37 AM

2,958 posts, read 1,906,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Why the heck would a family want to read the word "suicide" in their loved ones obit? Silly question...
In some families the deceased probably committed suicide because of them. I think it should depend upon what was said in a suicide note if there was one.

Locally a few years ago someone made a declaration in their obit that dated back over twenty five years and stated that the individual was screwed out of his position at a local plant by other managers there. The newspaper edited that part out for political reasons. The widow threatened to take them to court over it and they put the statement back in and republished it. I think the desires of the deceased should be honored unless slander can be proven. Many folks are writing their own obituaries these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality