U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread
Old 10-18-2009, 12:19 PM
46,162 posts, read 46,338,685 times

Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
tijlover wrote:

That's a scary comment right there. By the way what is a tij and why do you love them?
Anyway, back to the topic. I think the obituaries want to present a certain amount of dignity about the life of a human being and it's become a common practice to show a certain amount of respect for someone who has died and of course the family members and what they're going through need to be considered. I know a guy in Montana who died in February of acute alcohol poisoning when his liver and kidneys shut down at the same time. The obituary said the death was of natural causes and didn't elaborate any further.
I look at it this way. Do we want the obituaries to turn into a source of entertainment for those who have the mentality of the National Enquirer? I know I don't.
I don't think reading obituaries is all that odd. I always have, my parents did, and many people I know read them. There are always interesting little nuggets of information in them.

Obviously, the not allowing the public blaring of suicide is to protect the families, who have to be going through some emotional hell over this.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-18-2009 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
46,162 posts, read 46,338,685 times
Originally Posted by shymonkey View Post
i don't think it's anyone's business. it isn't usually posted that someone died from cancer or a heart attack or what the cause of death was.
I know and that irks me. I want to KNOW, dammit. Not that it is any of my business or anything.

Sometimes you can tell by the charity listed for which the family requests donations, but it's tricky.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:24 PM
16,301 posts, read 23,394,852 times
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've had a fascination with reading Obituary columns all my life.
Since I have lived here all my life, and know or have known a good number of people here. I scan the obits for names I might recognize, but I don't 'read' them unless the name rings a bell.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 AM
5 posts, read 13,373 times
Because reports of suicides cause more suicides.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:39 AM
9,573 posts, read 9,760,844 times
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Once a lawyer was taking care of some legal paperwork for my wife and I and he said that legally...suicide is simply one of many causes of death.
While that may be true from a legal point of view, it certainly isn't when the subject is life insurance.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:45 AM
2,178 posts, read 4,565,637 times
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
While that may be true from a legal point of view, it certainly isn't when the subject is life insurance.
You make a presumption that isn't always true. Life insurance policies sometimes have suicide excluded but may fall out of exclusion after a certain period..

We had mortgage insurance (for the original loan, not the refi'd amount) & it had a six month exclusion window that had passed by the time my husband took his life. It was wierd that we had originally signed all the paperwork for the insurance & then the people in charge of the paperwork never sent that part off. I caught it later & got them to put the insurance in force with a back date.

I had no idea about how there could be a possible coverage of a death from suicide but a family member told me to look more carefully at all the policies we had. There was only this one that was in force that allowed coverage, under the circumstances. Of all the devastations at the time, at least one thing wasn't all bad after all. This advice came from a family member I hadn't had anything to do with for 20 years. It was a big surprise.

Back on topic: obits should say whatever the people posting it want it to say, regardless of what anyone else wants to see. I like the obits with photos of people from their heydays.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:48 AM
38 posts, read 37,347 times
Why does it matter? If the family wants to include cause of death they can, but is it really necessary?

As far as Physician assisted suicide, assisted suicide, or any other kind related to being able to die a dignified death, I did an ethical issues paper on this topic while studying for my bachelor's. At first I thought "Hey why not make it legal?" It should be the person's choice, but the more I researched the less convinced I was. I still believe a person should be able to choose but I can also see why it is so hard to set guidelines for it. And yes there should be guidelines. People for it state that it will allow the person to die with dignity, without pain, in their right mind, while their family can still remember them well and yada yada. Opponents state they some people would feel it necessary because they felt as if they were a burden not because they wanted to die or that family might pressure them (sad, but there are families out there who are that cold hearted) insurance companies trying to convince the person to choose death to prevent further cost. They fear that there would be too many people who would choose to die for the wrong reasons. I can understand that. I wouldn't want one of my family members to choose death just because they were worried about money.

The only people who need the courage to do it are the ones who really don't want to do it. The ones who really want to end their lives are happy that it is about to be over. At least that's what they taught in my psych classes. Shrugs..... Hope all that made sense.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 AM
2,958 posts, read 1,977,513 times
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
You make a presumption that isn't always true. Life insurance policies sometimes have suicide excluded but may fall out of exclusion after a certain period.
A two year exclusion period is pretty standard. Sometimes certain policies will refund the total of premiums paid if one commits suicide within the exclusion period.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM
1 posts, read 1,333 times
My Uncle commited suicide and honestly i want to know more about it, because it's still really hard for my Mom to talk about it (it was her brother) so i avoid that topic like a disease around her, so she really did'nt tell me in depth out of respect for me how he really did it, but I want to know because We were similar...
Old 03-24-2010, 02:25 AM
15,774 posts, read 18,810,721 times
I don't know why the info is so free when celebrities and high-powered people commit suicide, and with ordinary people its so hush-hush.

2 weeks ago, the President and CEO of the Hard Rock Hotel here in Las Vegas, went home, blew his brains out, at age 56, leaving behind a wife and 2 teenage children. It was there for the whole city to read about. Shortly thereafter, an unfavorable earnings report came out on the company in the Business section.

Now if I were the wife of that executive, I'd give the reasons for it, as a warning to others, to perhaps save other people's lives. Perhaps he was a knock-down drag-out workaholic.

The day before that incident, in the newspaper, a newspaper employee was stopped by the police out in Henderson. They approached the car, and he blew his brains out inside the car before the police could even ask him a question.

Now if I were his wife, I just wouldn't leave it at that, leaving everyone bewildered and guessing.

Even if the true cause of death were mandated, would it change the course of our politicans? To read that 100 people killed themselves in one week due to depression over being unemployed for too long, would it make any difference to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or