Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:13 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I don't go to atheist sites
not that I probably wouldn't find the people interesting
I just couldn't relate to the topics

Just the same as I would go to an NRA site
or a rainbow coalition site
or a harley davidson site
Actually, I have been to a number of atheist sites, homosexual support sites, and political sites, etc. I don't necessarily agree with every point they make, but I always learn something, and it gives me a little better understanding of them. But then, I bounce all over the internet. I've read up on a number of different religions/philosophies, (Buddhist, Muslim, Wiccan, Deism, the list goes on), because I want to know what other people believe and think. It opens me up to new possbilities and ideas. Again, not because I'm going to believe everything that others believe, but personally, I find it interesting to learn how other people tick, and why. Shoot, I've even been to skinhead sites, PETA, and the Westboro "Baptist Church", (there's an eyeopener, and I don't mean that in a good way)! I think all three are loopy, for a mild description, (although, in their defence, PETA does bring up a few valid points). But the extreme sites let me know what kind of nonsense these people really are spewing out. Kind of a "out of the horse's mouth" kind of thing.

As to the other reasonable sites, (the ones that aren't hateful and ugly), whether I agree with them or not, I learn something from them, as I said before. Which is funny, because when I was active in the church, I would have been very leery going on these sites. I suppose partly because I would have been afraid of being "contaminated", and partly because maybe I would have been afraid I would actually learn something, including the fact that the majority of these folks are just like everyone else. They pay taxes, love their families, raise their kids, etc. Sometimes, overly religious folks don't like to be reminded of these things. It's easier to think of them as though they were/are the enemy, putting them almost in a non-human context. DISCLAIMER: I am not refering to anyone personally, including you, Dncngrl, when I say that. I am speaking in the broad spectrum.

Last edited by CelticLady1; 05-11-2007 at 05:31 AM..

Old 05-11-2007, 06:45 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Actually, I have been to a number of atheist sites, homosexual support sites, and political sites, etc. I don't necessarily agree with every point they make, but I always learn something, and it gives me a little better understanding of them. But then, I bounce all over the internet. I've read up on a number of different religions/philosophies, (Buddhist, Muslim, Wiccan, Deism, the list goes on), because I want to know what other people believe and think. It opens me up to new possbilities and ideas. Again, not because I'm going to believe everything that others believe, but personally, I find it interesting to learn how other people tick, and why. Shoot, I've even been to skinhead sites, PETA, and the Westboro "Baptist Church", (there's an eyeopener, and I don't mean that in a good way)! I think all three are loopy, for a mild description, (although, in their defence, PETA does bring up a few valid points). But the extreme sites let me know what kind of nonsense these people really are spewing out. Kind of a "out of the horse's mouth" kind of thing.

As to the other reasonable sites, (the ones that aren't hateful and ugly), whether I agree with them or not, I learn something from them, as I said before. Which is funny, because when I was active in the church, I would have been very leery going on these sites. I suppose partly because I would have been afraid of being "contaminated", and partly because maybe I would have been afraid I would actually learn something, including the fact that the majority of these folks are just like everyone else. They pay taxes, love their families, raise their kids, etc. Sometimes, overly religious folks don't like to be reminded of these things. It's easier to think of them as though they were/are the enemy, putting them almost in a non-human context. DISCLAIMER: I am not refering to anyone personally, including you, Dncngrl, when I say that. I am speaking in the broad spectrum.
Celtic

the only thing I have here is
honestly
I don't like to read
so if I am not going to get enjoyment out of it, there is no sense to me to go to it

now there are topics I am interested in

architecture
real estate
video games
ghosts -- I like watching the ghost videos on youtube but the always put those stupid ones in there where the guy jumps out and scares the bejeepers out of ya I hate that I almost widdled in my desk chair last time

I also like things on UFO's we are NOT alone

Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
Sometimes i think most athiest are people who are angry with God

Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
I'm not sure they are angry with God

If I ever decided to not believe anymore
it would be because of religion itself
all the fighting
jihad
holy wars
I just don't think this is what Jesus had in mind when he said "spread the word"

Oh Dear new post time

Old 05-11-2007, 08:31 AM

954 posts, read 813,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
Now just why would we be angry with something that we believe does not exist?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:25 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,534 times
They would not be called atheists if they were angry with GOD because atheist means to not believe in a GOD, so how can one be angry with something that does not exist? Can't happen. I do believe alot of people are angry with GOD, for one reason or another, life is like that sometimes, if GOD is who people claim him to be...it's ok..he will understand and judge accordingly to the whys and etc...I believe so anyhow.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
They would not be called atheists if they were angry with GOD because atheist means to not believe in a GOD, so how can one be angry with something that does not exist? Can't happen. I do believe alot of people are angry with GOD, for one reason or another, life is like that sometimes, if GOD is who people claim him to be...it's ok..he will understand and judge accordingly to the whys and etc...I believe so anyhow.
yes just because my children say the are angry at me and don't understand the rules I put down doen't mean I lpve them less

you can be mad and not understand and still love at the same time

nice post pgh

Old 05-11-2007, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,115 times
Default Daggers

To answer the central question, Atheism is in essence, a religion. A religion is a belief or set of beliefs. Atheism is the belief that there is no supreme being/creator/god, or any other name you may have for it. So, just like Christians, and anyone of any other religion that may feel the urge, have a perfectly valid reason to read any post on religion. Just like extremists of any group, there are those that attack other religions, and the more open minded that just like to get to know their fellow human beings a bit better. Even if you don't believe something, understanding why someone else does is enlightening in many ways. If this includes arguing points that you feel aren't valid, so be it. If someone believes something because of a misconception I will do my best to try to help them better understand. I will not fight or insult them, and like some others here I will not lump them in a single category in an attempt to bolster my own viewpoint.

To help those that can't understand why an Atheist might be interested in a topic based on a specific other religion, here is an example:

If you were looking at a newspaper and saw a headline that read homosexual march on Washington, or new middle eastern policy, many might flip to that page to read it, whether or not that they are homosexual or from the middle east. We as humans are inherently curious.

To respond to those who seem to attack atheists in specific, I will also say this. Not all atheists are empty shells, depressed and angry. They aren't hiding in an alley waiting to hurt you and rape your family. They aren't all mad at God or afraid of him/her. Trying to say they are just shows your ignorance.

To address the question of why Atheists aren't going to the Buddhist, Hinduist, or other posts, I would say they probably would if one was posted. I have yet to see one here. Contrary to your belief, Christians are not the center of the universe, so please do not let the attention of being the most wide spread religion go to your head.

Lastly, I personally, am not Atheist. I was at one point, hence my veiwpoint on the subject, but I have realized and come to terms with the fact that I do not know everything. I am hesitant to say no, absolutely not, or this is the way things are, because how many of us know for sure? I know that the Christian religion has nothing to offer me, as I cannot see the Bible as anything other than a work of fiction, no matter how popular it is, but that is just me. I do believ that until we as human beings can resolve our basic differences, religion is necessary. The fear it generates helps keep stupid people from doing stupid things, and helped lay the foundation of our moral and ethical code, though I think [hope] one day we will not need it [religion]to adhere to them.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 PM

Thanks...I appreciate the kind comment!

Old 05-11-2007, 07:25 PM

I really do not like the idea that religion is used to keep stupid people in line, to me that seems wrong, I know what your saying how its a good thing, but to me, religion and control are not bedfellows and never ever should be, dangerous path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality